Telephone Wire, Where To Connect The 2 Cables In The Plug ?

Hi, Do you know how to connect the 2 electric cables coming from TOT inside the plug on the wall ? I have 1 yellow cable and 1 black cable, and 8 "holes" to put them in the plug. It seems that I should use holes number 1 and 2, but i don't know if the number 1 should have the yellow cable and the number 2 the black cable or opposite ? Actually i tried both and it doesn't work, so maybe Tot didn't connect well, so i would like to know how these cables should be connected to be sure to get te signal in case Tot ever do its job :-) Thank you.

Edited by frenchfarangjomtien

if you could give me a bit more info: I assume you mean one cable with two (Y&Bk) wires inside? Is this telephone service only or ADSL ? POTS (plain old telephone service) is usually a blue wire and white wire but TIT...

You are correct in using pins 1& 2 pins ( centre two attached to those gold "wires" in the square socket

( called an RJ8 Connector in your case) polarity is not a big issue for POTS . If you have a meter test for approx 48 volts DC across the wires for POTS ( if you have no meter you can also "flick" the wires together and see if there is a little spark its not dangerous but you might want a cloth or.. over your head to cut out ambient light so you can see... lol); if none present then it's up to TOT again...feel free to pm me

Edited by David006

I'll move this to technology.

I never know the pin numbers but the line is on the centre two pins, polarity is not important.

As noted above, you should see about 48V DC between the wires.

Sound like you are talking about an RJ45 jack. The phone wires will probably go to pins 4 and 5. See the following wikipeida link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8P8C

Partial Quote from link:

RJ-45 was originally a telephone-only standard. It is one of the many registered jacks, like RJ-11, another telephone standard. As a registered jack, telephone RJ-45 specifies the physical male and female connectors as well as the pin assignments of the wires in a telephone cable. The original RJ-45 uses a special [6][7] keyed 8P2C modular connector, with Pins 5 and 4 wired for tip and ring of a single telephone line and Pins 7 and 8 connected to a programming resistor. It is meant to be used with a high speed modem, and is obsolete today.

End Quote

Without knowing exactly what type of connector/jack you have, it's hard to tell. There definitely no shortage of different syle jacks, some EU standards, some US standards, some XYZ standards. The incoming 2 wires could be connected to any two pins. But here's the important part, the connector/cable you plug into the jack must be wired for those two pins you selected on the jack. If you picked pins 1 and 7 on the jack, just because you thought those numbers were lucky, then whatever connector/cable you are plugging into the jack must be wired to pick up the signal from pins 1 and 7. Do you have a splitter on the jack? Maybe one port of the spliter running to your phone and the other port to the modem? Because since you have a phone signal coming in, the DSL signal is riding on that same signal (whatever two pins was chosen).

Edited by Pib

Thanks again, i understand that you are saying that many kinds of wall telephone plugs exist, but when people buy a telephone at the supermarket here in Thailand, isn't it always the same cables that are connected ?

I was thinking that everybody must connect its plug on the wall the same way as all telephones sold in Thailand are connected, but maybe i am wrong ?

And i tested all the 8 places where to put my 2 cables on the wall plugs and i get telephone signal when I connect "1 and 2" or "3 and 4" , but still no DSL signal, so maybe there is a problem with Tot Adsl signal ? ( icheck with 2 different modems, so i am sure it's not about the modem)

I have a splitter with 1 cable going to the telephone and the other one to the modem, and when i connect the telephone directly on the wall plug it also works, but when i connect the modem directly on the wall plug it still doesn't work.

Tot said that they are checking (maybe its shaking :-) ) but I wonder what to do if they find nothing, just cancel my new line and Adsl ?!

I will update if i get more information, but I am hopeless...

This infomation may help.

You will have a splitter that has 3 connections.

Line RJ12 to the telephone socket.

ASDL RJ12 socket to the ASDL modem.

Phone socket of the splitter to the telephone RJ12.

If the existing telephone socket is a permanently wired connection this will have to be changed to a RJ12 outlet.

The incoming pair for the telephone go to the 2 centre pins of the RJ 12 socket.