Assault / Attempted Murder

somo

Could do with some advice.

My son in law was recently badly injured while going to help a friend who was being attacked by a gang for as yet unknown reasons. He ended up with 27 stitches in his head and could have died.

This happened in a computer games centre that is apparently run/owned by the local police.

They have arrested one guy but quite a few others were involved.

I would like to see justice done but usually in such cases the victim is paid some compensation by the perpetrators family and the SIL is talking about asking for 50K Baht. The problem with that is the perpetrator may well feel haivng him killed or beaten up again is cheaper than paying up.

I have told him to forget that idea but would like to see justice done. I am due to see the police on Wednesday afternoon if possible. I wonder if anyone can give me advice (other than forget it and do nothing) as to what my options are. Is it possible to threaten private prosectution if the police, as is likely, are not prepared to persue it? Is it worth asking a lawyer to push it? If so can you recomend a lawyer that would take such a case. Is there a higher power I can go to if the locals aren't interested

Would very much appreciate any help.

Most of times if is a thai-thai deal, they come at a money agreement.

In your shoes I would accept for your SIL an economic transaction and I would let the cops outside, due to the police ownership of the videogame venue too.

Good luck!

My first response would be stay out of it....reason being you could find yourself the next target, if you are seen to be pushing the issue

Let the Thai's in SIL family sort it out

Of course you would like to see justice done, but this aint Kansas Toto.....if the local BiB are not co-operating and you threaten a higher authority, this will of course will p*ss off the local BiB, so now you have made enemies with both the gang and the BiB, not a smart move for you or your family.

I dont know how long you have lived in Thailand, but suggest you are being very naive in the approach, as you should know by now what happens when a Thai "looses" face....always an over reaction.

I would suggest any lawyer would tell you the same thing. The other thing to consider is that if the aggrieved person has indicated he would accept THB 50,000 compensation, you have no right to act on his behalf, its his decision and his decision alone.

My advice let the Thai's deal with this one

• Like 1

first of all, you must be sure of what are you dealing with, and those "unknow reasons" doesn't help, so, before you take any action you must at least know what happened/why/who = WWW

My first response would be stay out of it....reason being you could find yourself the next target, if you are seen to be pushing the issue

Let the Thai's in SIL family sort it out

Of course you would like to see justice done, but this aint Kansas Toto.....if the local BiB are not co-operating and you threaten a higher authority, this will of course will p*ss off the local BiB, so now you have made enemies with both the gang and the BiB, not a smart move for you or your family.

I dont know how long you have lived in Thailand, but suggest you are being very naive in the approach, as you should know by now what happens when a Thai "looses" face....always an over reaction.

I would suggest any lawyer would tell you the same thing. The other thing to consider is that if the aggrieved person has indicated he would accept THB 50,000 compensation, you have no right to act on his behalf, its his decision and his decision alone.

My advice let the Thai's deal with this one

Good advice from Soutpeel. Listen to it!

Have lived here for 12 years and am far from naive but never had this happen before so no experience there thus my request for advice.

Unfortunately the advice seems to be do nothing and forget it. Leaving it to the Thais as suggested is just plain stupid as it may result in another attack. SIL is only 19 and fired up and the last thing I want is for the violence too escalate.

Any suggestions of a more subtle approach is what I'm after

dont think he will get anywhere near 50,000 another thread for death by road accident is saying 50,000bht is what deceased family would recieve.

just my opinion but you are asking for big problems getting involved in this.............................

Have lived here for 12 years and am far from naive but never had this happen before so no experience there thus my request for advice.

Unfortunately the advice seems to be do nothing and forget it. Leaving it to the Thais as suggested is just plain stupid as it may result in another attack. SIL is only 19 and fired up and the last thing I want is for the violence too escalate.

Any suggestions of a more subtle approach is what I'm after

Well suggesting putting a lawyer on the BiB or going threatening to go to a higher power is hardly a subtle approach is it.? :blink:

Going the route your suggesting could also result in an escalation of violence but not just against your SIL, both you and other family members could end up as targets as well.

After 12 years here, you should know what goes on if someone has "lost face" they do bear grudges and do act on them and if its perceived a farang has been responsible...well dont need to say anymore.

Yes the little bast*rds should go to jail, yes justice should be served, but we are in Thailand...money and connections count for more

To me the subtle approach would be for the SIL to ask for more money, your only real shot at getting "justice" is if you know a senior BiB personally who could act on your behalf and you stay out of it

Going to stand by my original suggestion...As a Farang stay out of it and let the agrived family deal with it......but if you want to be the knight in shining armour...best of luck....to use the well worn phrase in Thailand...up to you...... :jap:

One thing I have learned from living in Thailand, no one gets a beating for no apparent reason, unless its mistaken identity.

There may well be more to this than the OP is either telling us or is aware of, he uses the words " for as yet unknown reasons"

The first thing I would do is find out exactly what the reasons were, probably money (in most cases) a woman or perceived loss of face by the attackers.

Have the police charged anyone, and where do the attackers stand in the local pecking order?

SIL and family asking for 50,000, the attackers may not even have that sort of money to pay, and may even in fact choose to do a stint in the local monkey house.

I know a guy who chose to spend some time rather than pay 2,000 baht, not that he couldnt afford to pay it, he didnt want to lose face by paying it, and in doing so he sent a message to the claimant.

Having seen some of these computer centres and the punks they attract I would advise the SIL to avoid them, violence isnt uncommon and is usually a result of face issues and the reluctance or stubborness on the part of many to back down even when they are in the wrong.

The best thing would be to let it go here as it could turn against you. But I know I couldn't let it go either. Just pay a lawyer to take care of it and don't get involved directly. Pay the lawyer/negotiator a fee upon an arrest and incarceration and let him deal with the authorities.

I now know the full story.

It started with 2 girls arguing and later the older brothers joining in one being SILs friend.

Later SIL.s friend was attacked by a gang of about 10 and he ended up badly beaten and bruised but nothing broken. SIL tried to stop it and he ended up even worse off as from the wounds it looks like he had been cut with a razor a few time. Luckily they were thin cuts and the hospital (paid for by the friends family)has done a great job with the stitching.

The police were actually pretty helpul and know who the main culptit is but he has done a runner. They say they are pretty sure to find him soon as in such cases the runner usually tries to hide in his home village or gives himself up once he hears his family is being hassled.

Through a third party I have offered an incentive for results.

I now know the full story.

It started with 2 girls arguing and later the older brothers joining in one being SILs friend.

Later SIL.s friend was attacked by a gang of about 10 and he ended up badly beaten and bruised but nothing broken. SIL tried to stop it and he ended up even worse off as from the wounds it looks like he had been cut with a razor a few time. Luckily they were thin cuts and the hospital (paid for by the friends family)has done a great job with the stitching.

The police were actually pretty helpul and know who the main culptit is but he has done a runner. They say they are pretty sure to find him soon as in such cases the runner usually tries to hide in his home village or gives himself up once he hears his family is being hassled.

Through a third party I have offered an incentive for results.

You're in the right. 100%. I hope the animals that did this to your boy get what they deserve.

But if this thugs family learns that you are making it personal and has deeper pockets than you anticipate, you and your family may end up getting fuc_ked pretty badly.

Why do you guys choose women who already have kids?

Not so bad if the same race but why not pick a Thai babe

with no kids, plenty of them about you know.

So why are you not out looking for them then? Instead of writing stupid comments on the net at 11:30 on a Saturday night!

As the OP has now offered incentives for results and visited the police in person ... I think now would be a good time -- after arranging for some protection for his Thai family -- to visit his sick Mother in Liverpool (?).

Why do you guys choose women who already have kids?

Not so bad if the same race but why not pick a Thai babe

with no kids, plenty of them about you know.

So why are you not out looking for them then? Instead of writing stupid comments on the net at 11:30 on a Saturday night!

I am in UK, time when posted 17:24.

AlthoughI am not really a man to give advice I do have some wisdom.

OP asked for advice and I do believe having a relationship with a woman

in Thailand is hard enough never mind bringing up someone elses kids

that are are a different race, from a different culture and a mother who holds

different values. You would not catch me in this situtation EVER. God dam_n it

in the UK if I find out if a girl I was interested had children I would

be out of there ASAP, in Thailand first thoughts to me would be: this

woman is looking for a mug to bring up her kids, simple as that. Maybe I am

just cold but I would not have it any other way.

By the way onnut, I do not have to go out looking. Good luck to you sir.