Taxis Fare Increase In The Pipeline

george

Taxis fare increase in the pipeline

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Land Transport is studying proposed new tariff rates for taxis as energy prices continue to soar. A decision is expected within the next two weeks.

Taxi operators are among public transport operators seeking government approval to raise their fares because of the increased fuel costs, according to the Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, Piyapan Champasut.

The current metre flag-fall is 35 baht for the first two kilometres of a journey. This rate has remained unchanged for a decade and is likely to be increased to between 36 and 40 baht.

The government will decide the appropriate fare increase and should be announced the decision within the next two weeks, said Mr. Piyapan.

Taxi operators had tried to raise fares several times before, but some operators feared that fare increases would make them uncompetitive. But the prohibitive energy cost has united taxi operators in seeking a fare raise.

TNA 2005-07-03

Dont a majority of taxi's in Bkk run on NPV -natural gas

As far as I can see there hasnt been an increase in that commodity

I think everybody and anybody is looking for a way to increase prices and make more profit.

What about wages for thais are they rising to compensate these rises?

About time too, feel sorry for these poor buggers.

I tend to agree as most drivers are at the mercy of the owners of the cabs, who charge 800 baht plus for a 12 hour shift

Another example of the wealthy screwing the little guy

But on the other hand I dont feel sorry for the unscrupulous taxi drivers who spend their time trying to rip people off with meter scams and asking for unrealistic flat fee prices to destinations often 2 to 3 times the original fare.

I tend to agree as most drivers are at the mercy of the owners of the cabs, who charge 800 baht plus for a 12 hour shift

Another example of the wealthy screwing the little guy

But on the other hand I dont feel sorry for the unscrupulous taxi drivers who spend their time trying to rip people off with meter scams and asking for unrealistic flat fee prices to destinations often 2 to 3 times the original fare.

These guys don't make much. I am very happy with their use of the meter rather than having to haggle away for a reasonable price. As long as the meter price is something they are happy with, then they will use the meter more and everyone is happy.

This rate has remained unchanged for a decade and is likely to be increased to between 36 and 40 baht.
Pretty amazing they haven't gone up in all that time really, even including the baht crash in 97. In real terms, taxi drivers income must have gone down pretty dramatically without even considering the high oil prices.

Me too, I think they'd be more than justified in raising the rate now.

I think they'd be more than justified in raising the rate now.

That should go a long way in creating even more empty taxis coasting up and down Suk Road looking for even fewer ....non existing customers.

As old Jack Cohen (founder owner -TESCOS) once said "Stack em High and... Sell them Low"...might even be worth considering Dropping the fares :o

The current metre flag-fall is 35 baht for the first two kilometres of a journey. This rate has remained unchanged for a decade and is likely to be increased to between 36 and 40 baht.

I think a better idea would be to lower the flag fall to say 20-25 baht, but also change the distance to the first km instead of the first two. That way more people would use taxis for shorter distances and the drivers would earn more money.

they need to do summit soon or the drivers are gonna start killin people, probably about 1 in 20 taxis I get in nowdays the driver has a serious attitude problem and gets VERY angry for absolutely no reason what so ever right from the outset of the journey :o There only shootin themselves in the foot tho as I usually tip em about 10 baht, these idiots get nothin :D

The increase of taxi fare is expected due to the current increase of oil prices, but let's hope the fare rate is reasonable. But will the taxi fare rate revert to it's old price, when the oil price is back to normal...

What makes you think the current price is not "normal"?

The oil price is definately higher than usual.., the pump attendant told me so..

I used to be a cabbie for a bit, actually. I will say that the oil prices are having a direct ad notable impact on the drivers take home pay.

the way the pay works is that you pay the cab rental fee, + all gas, + any other miscellaneous stuff (like flat tires, police tickets, etc) and what you make is yours.

When I was driving, the gas consituted usually aruond 1/3 of my take home pay. A medium jump in gas prices can yield a 10% drop in income. Believe me, the cabbies feel this!

I like the idea of lowering the flag drop but raising the distance. I would use taxis, as opposed to motorbikes or just walking the km or 2 more often. The distance part is so cheap, too, that the cabbie doesn't really make that much money off of the distance of the fare - most of it comes from the short fares that let you pick up someone else.