Shattered

krading

Well, not really shattered, but I hope it got a few of you in.

We have 'been together' for seven years now since her lad was seven years old.

I was sitting out the back having a couple of small libations with the rest of the family tonight and we ran low on ice so Nou called out to her son to go buy some. She used his nick name, which coincidently is 'Ice' (pronounced 'Eye' of course.)

I have always used his given name because that was how I was first introduced to him.

I, (thinking too mutt) said "Now that he is 15 I might start calling him Eye"

Thinking further I said to Nou, "How come he calls me Krading now? Is it because he's older? He used to call me Papa"

That was the moment when my world came crashing down.

My self esteem ruined.

My ego shattered.

"Mai chai, not papa like father, ปะป๋า like rich old man"

benefactor, sugar daddy :(

Obviously I'm no longer rich enough to qualify as ปะป๋า

(but I'm still old enough :lol: )

reason for edit.

I posted this in the language forum because I could find ปะป๋า in my dictionaries

(and I misspelled the title) :rolleyes:

Edited by krading
  • Like 1

Ah ok, makes sense to me, my g/f's daughters call me papa too, I thought it was a bit kind of, sudden really :lol:

I guess benefactor isn't too bad a title!

Dunno about rich old man :lol: I didn't think I qualified for either!

It must be tinged with a little sadness after seven years of thinking it meant 'dad' but it's hardly derogatory and you have been his dad really. Well done for that :jap:

Edit: I just had a look here http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=ปะป๋า

Seems the 2nd part ป๋า

has the connotations you mentioned but only meaning 'sugar daddy' when a younger woman uses it to an older man, I reckon you're his dad and, more to the point, he probably does too

The 1st part ปะ seems to have more to do with meeting someone, so maybe some more expert opinion is needed for the spelling?

Edited by bifftastic

Thanks for the link Biff.

I know now that his mum was pulling my leg, yanking my chain, winding me up or put it how you will.

The tones Ice used weren't the same.

I had a lot of 'uncles' when I was growing up, that's why I look after him.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Biff.

I know now that his mum was pulling my leg, yanking my chain, winding me up or put it how you will.

The tones Ice used weren't the same.

I had a lot of 'uncles' when I was growing up, that's why I look after him.

Yeah, I had a few 'uncles' too :) and I guess I could connect with the 'mum but not mum for really' thing too!

Still, we do our best with the hand we're dealt. Which it seems you're doing rather well.

All the best,

Biff

Setting aside the content for a moment, the Matichon Dictionary of the Thai Language has the following entries:

ป๊ะ (ไทยอิสลาม) น. พ่อ

Pa (Thai-Islam) noun. "father"

ป๋า (ปาก) น. พ่อ; (แสลง)คำที่หญิงบางกลุ่มเรียกชายค่อนข้างมีอายุหรือมีอายุและมีทรัพย์บำเรอหญิได้

Paa (spoken form) noun. "father"; (slang) a word used by some groups of women to refer to men of advanced years; or men who are both oldand rich enough to lavish attention on women.

(translation is mine)

She was definitely pulling your leg. My son calls me papa. He started using it as my wife refers to me as papa when speaking to him. Probably one of the first words he learned to say after mer. He's 21 now and still calls me papa. :) I find it a bit sad though that your wife's son now calls you by your name after referring to you as his father for so long.

The very lowest thing that can be said about a Thai person is that they are อกตัญญู akkatanyu--ungrateful. Given that you have cared for this lad for 7 years, he, by his culture's lights, owes you respect and gratitude, almost without any further qualification or reservation. A senior member of the family should explain this to him in the clearest possible terms, for his own good as much as anything else. Ingratitude, even in our (or my American) culture, is an extremely unattractive quality.