Bungfai Rockets, Lanterns Endanger Planes, Says Thai Ministry

webfact

I've watched the "bonfai rockets" being lit, all the ones I saw couldn't even get up to a helicopter. What, are they using advanced ones now?

"We have the technology" ;)

Bloody wonderful. I have been to a couple of these events in Surin province but not quite as large as the one on that Youtube clip above. Also they have some circular ones what spin as they rise from two rocket nozzles offset, and what a roar they make. They are wonderful and return to the ground on parachutes. If I could directly insert a picture or two here I have some good interesting photos I took with my big 100-400mm Canon lens but cannot be arsed to have to upload them to a website first and then link it here, way too much hassle. A direct upload here would be ideal and easy if that were possible.

As to safety well for aircraft the area is simply declared a no fly zone for an allotted number of hours and of course nowhere near airports would be allowed. Not difficult to arrange and I am sure that must already be happening or I hope so. As to folk attending the events on the ground well they go at their own risk and that is the end of it surely. I go and quite close to the launch frames but I stay near big tree trunks so I can whip behind them just in case, but never seen an accident yet. At least we do not have such grossly stupid levels of health and safety here that precludes having any fun events like this. Another reason I prefer living here than in the H&S mad UK where staying safely in bed is the only option to avoid breaking their stupid OOT H&S laws. Let folk decide what risks they are willing to take to have fun and watch events such as these rocket festivals, as long as they have clear warnings of the dangers given to them which they do not seem to do here I must say, unless they are only in Thai hieroglyphics which I still cannot read after over 7 years here.