Suvarnabhumi Airport Link To Start Commercial Operation Aug 23

webfact

Airport Link to start commercial operation Aug 23

gallery_327_1086_652.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Suvarnabhumi airport's Airport Link commercial services will begin August 23 with special discount fares offered until the end of the year.

After presiding at ceremony during staff training for the Airport Rail Link project linking Suvarnabhumi Airport and Makkasan area in downtown Bangkok, Permanent Secretary for Transport Supot Saplom said he believed that independent engineers will issue the certificate permitting the project to open for service, as all flaws have been fixed, and test-runs by State Railway of Thailand (SRT) workers continue to be conducted.

The 28km rail link connects Suvarnabhumi Airport in Samut Prakan province east of Bangkok and the City Air Terminal (CAT) in Bangkok's Makkasan area, where passengers will be able to check in their baggage.

Services of both the Express Service and the City Line will be operational on the same tracks at speeds of up to 160km per hour.

The Express Service is a 15-minute non-stop journey between the City Terminal and the airport with a fare at Bt150 per trip. During the opening period, the fare charged will be Bt100.

City Line commuter trips, with set fares at Bt15-Bt45, take 30 minutes to reach the airport, departing from Phaya Thai, Ratchaprarop, Makkasan, Asoke, Ramkhamhaeng, Hua Mak, Ban Thap Chang, and Lat Krabang stations, and will end at the last stop of Suvarnabhumi. The promotional fare will be Bt15 for all journeys during this period.

Meanwhile, Mr Supot said the baggage check-in system developed by SRT and Airports of Thailand (AoT) for Makkasan Station will be ready for full operation by the year end.

The transport official said there will be over 300 personnel working for the Airport Link project.

Concerning setting up a subsidiary firm to manage the project, Mr Supot said he will propose it to the ministry so that the company's registered capital can be increased from Bt500 million (US$15 million) to Bt2 billion (US$60 million). The matter will be then proposed to the Cabinet for consideration. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-07-21

Why not August 12, which is an auspicious date.

Why not now, so I can use it when I arrive to Bkk 31 July.:angry:

I can’t find accurate schedule till before commercial operation. Does anyone know what the limited schedule is presently?

I can not see using this myself. It seems much easier to get a taxi.

Same same, 150 B for the fare and stuck with your suitcase in the middle of no where and still need to get a Taxi who is going to rip you of, better take a taxi from the airport straight home.

Why not August 12, which is an auspicious date.

Why not now, so I can use it when I arrive to Bkk 31 July.:angry:

I can't find accurate schedule till before commercial operation. Does anyone know what the limited schedule is presently?

7AM-10AM and 4PM-7PM M-F.only

Same same, 150 B for the fare and stuck with your suitcase in the middle of no where and still need to get a Taxi who is going to rip you of, better take a taxi from the airport straight home.

The only time I would consider using it is if: a) I was travelling to/from the airport during bad traffic periods, B) I had carry-on baggage only.

If you are travelling with 2 people, then 300 baht (plus what ever it costs to get to/from Makkasan) would cover a taxi ride from the airport to most of Bangkok. It usually costs me about 200 baht (+50 baht airport charge

Also, to get to the MRT, you need to walk 100-200m out on the road and over the old railway.

Does anyone know when the link from Makkasan to the BTS will open (west of Makkasan)?

It's only 45 baht for the normal train from the airport all the way to Phaya Thai. And I've never been ripped off by a taxi so that is not an issue at all, especially at a bts station. I'll be using it every time, much easier.

Second that.

There is no benefit at all, not in time and not in fare, unless you live or stay very near at one of the stations.

Ever tried to reach Makkasan during heavy rain??

And the word is : 1 train per hour only.

Good luck if you have to catch a flight.

You miss the train, you might miss your flight.

I wouldn't take any chances and stick to a cab.

From Onnut 25 Min, 205 Baht plus 55 for the xpress way.

There is no benefit at all, not in time and not in fare, unless you live or stay very near at one of the stations.

Quite agree. I heard there will in fact be 4 express trains per hour. But for 2 people travelling and not staying close to the terminus, it will usually be cheaper, faster and more convenient just to take a cab.

Did I forget about the mass transit system? I certainly didnt, but what use will that be? Assume you take the express train and want to link on to the Skytrain or MRT during the rush hour. You then have to wait for your baggage to come from the baggage car. Thats the easy part. Lugging your bags to the Skytrain and MRT is one hurdle. Actually being able to get you and your luggage on to the transit system is quite another. Have you travelled during the rush hour recently? The cars are totally packed. How on earth will they get 10 -20 - 30 - 50 or more passengers from the airport with their large suitcases on to to each train? It's impossible. So we'll end up once again with a lot of complaints from tourists. Why, why, why does no-one think about the problems and solve them BEFORE they start major projects?

wow . so many naysayers .

u were the same guys saying no one would use the BTS because it's more expensive than the bus right ?

this new system is going to be great .

not only for the airport but for all the thais who live near its 9 stops .

and for those who work at the airport .

good job thailand !

god forbid they build trains that go from central cities straight into the airport in the west

Edited by jackdawson

wow . so many naysayers .

u were the same guys saying no one would use the BTS because it's more expensive than the bus right ?

this new system is going to be great .

not only for the airport but for all the thais who live near its 9 stops .

and for those who work at the airport .

good job thailand !

god forbid they build trains that go from central cities straight into the airport in the west

<deleted>?

we got them in london, very effective both to LHR and GTW course not clever if you got a lot of luggage, london ug was never designed for people with luggage - oughta use a railway porter

i see the city line as a way of getting out of the clutches of the airport taxi mafia (sure they will find ways to sabotage that - hide the signs give false directions etc

god help anyone foolish enough to trust checking luggage in at the station WOW Im gobsmacked

when you arrive is the most difficult

used to be the magic bus went to pattaya, but theyve fcuked that up and now you have to call them up and book in advance to be allowed on the bus - amazing monkeys

so if i can get on the city line than hop off at phaya thai then shoot down to ekamai with mafia well praise the lord

yes it will take and hour longer but ive beaten the bar stewards

fyi i had to take a taxi after the magic bus fiasco if you turn and face the road from the magic bus desk its slightly to the left, forgotten name, but i had a good driver and the service was efficient but cost 2000B after i beat them down from 2500 what could i do at 6pm TIT, at least we stopped at the service station for some refreshments to calm my nerves

Quite agree. I heard there will in fact be 4 express trains per hour. But for 2 people travelling and not staying close to the terminus, it will usually be cheaper, faster and more convenient just to take a cab.

Did I forget about the mass transit system? I certainly didnt, but what use will that be? Assume you take the express train and want to link on to the Skytrain or MRT during the rush hour. You then have to wait for your baggage to come from the baggage car. Thats the easy part. Lugging your bags to the Skytrain and MRT is one hurdle. Actually being able to get you and your luggage on to the transit system is quite another. Have you travelled during the rush hour recently? The cars are totally packed. How on earth will they get 10 -20 - 30 - 50 or more passengers from the airport with their large suitcases on to to each train? It's impossible. So we'll end up once again with a lot of complaints from tourists. Why, why, why does no-one think about the problems and solve them BEFORE they start major projects?

wowsers what a collossal whinge hope you feel better now that's off your chest