Awful Laptop Repair At Pantip

sambai

Just a heads-up for anyone really. I don't like to post anything negative, but I got my laptop repaired at Pantip last year and it has turned out to be a total disaster, part of which has only come to light after a few months' usage. The glue they used to stick it back together (because they broke all the proper screw-in fittings) has finally given up and I'm left with a casing on the machine that flaps around. There are several screws missing and the case looks like that of a machine several years old.

My advice to anyone for computer repairs (more so laptop repairs because they're a single unit) is to try to use the manufacturer's accredited shops, like Sony, Dell etc. Pantip is generally great but sadly this company I used, called Notebook House Integration, have proved to be terrible in my case.

I took my VAIO to them as the screen was dead. They turned the machine over on the bench and scratched the casing. I should have realised what sort of place they are, when I saw this, but stupid-me, I was anxious to have the machine repaired and so I left it with them.

They quoted me 3,500 to repair it. It's a bit on the high side, but I went ahead with it thinking they were ok. The result was a totally unprofessional repair, and sadly I didn't realise it straight away, as it took a few months' usage (and consequent loosening of all the GLUE they used) before I saw what they had done.

In order to remove the screen surround, they pulled it off, instead of removing the rubber grommets set into the case, behind which the proper screws are situated. They also broke the clips that attach the screen to the back meaning that as the glue has finally given-up, the screen front flaps around.

Recently when I removed the top of the laptop to de-dust it, I saw that they hadn't even replaced the keyboard screws.

The warranty they give is three months - enough time before you realise they've glued the machine back together and carried out such an inferior job.

Finally after about five or six months, the screen went dead again anyway. I still manage to use the machine by tapping the back of the VDU whenever this happens but it's quite a shock to see such an unprofessional job of repairing the machine, in fact it's hard to imagine anyone carrying out a worse job than this. It was a totally bad job and they overcharged for it. I hope no one entrusts their equipment to this place.

I actually ended up buying a new notebook last year after taking my 18 months old Acer there to have a new heat sink fitted. They messed it up a lot, didn't change the heat sink, and threw away most of the screws. ( ground floor towards the car park )

The incident led me to the conclusion that it is more cost effective to have a notebook fixed at an authorized service center.

I had some problems with my notebook a few months back; I brought it to a shop for repairs. I waited while they removed the screen panel and told me it would take an hour; an hour later, it was still on the table. I waited at the shop and finally they got it done 30 minutes later

I guess I would bring it for repairs to a shop that looks neat the next time :-)

It is always better and safer to sent your laptop to the manufacturer's workshop, if they have one here or send to their authorized repair outlet. At least you can be assured of proper parts if needed and trained tech personnel to work on your laptop. I recently sent my NEC Versa laptop for repair and got it back in perfect condition. Better to trust the manufacturer repair outlet than at Pantip or the other shops around. A lot of them will rip you off.

I actually ended up buying a new notebook last year after taking my 18 months old Acer there to have a new heat sink fitted. They messed it up a lot, didn't change the heat sink, and threw away most of the screws. ( ground floor towards the car park )

The incident led me to the conclusion that it is more cost effective to have a notebook fixed at an authorized service center.

A heat sink is one of those things the computer will work without for a while. It's just metal piece to conduct heat away from the CPU or semiconductors.

I've had nothing but nightmares getting anything fixed here in Thailand. Computers, air conditioners, my car or motorcycle, it's all the same thing. There is no attention to detail whatsoever, and most of the time even if they fix your problem, they create another one just by taking it apart.

Yes, I would stick with the factory places. Sony has a repair facility in Pattaya.

I also took my HP notebook to Pantip to a Authorized service center by HP during it warranty time. I had it brook again after two trip since they brook something else when the repaired the problem I took it in for. Then I took it to HP center and they did a great job.

So only take it to the manufacturer service center

A heat sink is one of those things the computer will work without for a while. It's just metal piece to conduct heat away from the CPU or semiconductors.

I've had nothing but nightmares getting anything fixed here in Thailand. Computers, air conditioners, my car or motorcycle, it's all the same thing. There is no attention to detail whatsoever, and most of the time even if they fix your problem, they create another one just by taking it apart.

Yes, I would stick with the factory places. Sony has a repair facility in Pattaya.

I think you have your parts confused. If the cooling fan is broken or removed it is possible that a computer may work for a while. This depends on air flow, CPU type & manufacturer, ambient temp etc. I have not seen a single computer CPU from Intel, AMD or Motorola during the last 20 years which could operate for longer than 30 seconds without a Heatsink.

By the way how did yoy manage to break the Heatsink? Maybe you only needed the fan replaced or services.

I know exactly what you mean, but I did manage to find a shop at Panthip that I would recommend. First off the guy speaks good English and he clearly knows his stuff. Actually I was in to see him this week only to pick his brain on buying a computer. The ones he sees the least are the most durable and that is a major factor as far as I am concerned. Second he is not a salesman so there is no need to push one brand or another.

His shop is only a few feet from the escalator that goes to IT city on the top floor so it is easy to find. He has a big white sign that is easily visible from across the way. Win System Co Ltd is the name. He works on all brands and his prices are very fair.

I have an ACER Aspire 5050. Four years old very few problems but when i do have one I only take to the ACER services center.

Would not recommend the acer centre in Pantip, unless you fancy a laugh, they are absolutely clueless. Tried to charge me for a new motherboard my laptop did not need and their prices are very high

I had some problems with my notebook a few months back; I brought it to a shop for repairs. I waited while they removed the screen panel and told me it would take an hour; an hour later, it was still on the table. I waited at the shop and finally they got it done 30 minutes later

I guess I would bring it for repairs to a shop that looks neat the next time :-)

One problem with service in Thailand, you need to stand and watch the people complete your service, if you go away they will disregard what you need done and take care of other people who come in and watch what they are doing. Then when you come back and nothing has been done, you need to stand there and watch them work. Something I've learned here in Thailand, if you want something done quickly, do not leave the side of the person doing the fixing.

I guess there are respectable shops at Pantip, the problem is to find them.

My experience with repairs there:

• Broke the TFT panel of the laptop screen, replacement panel plus repair about THB 3000 - new panel was good quality, fixed the wobbly hinge as well. No problem after more than a year. However: I suspect them to have tricked me on the battery, but not sure - better remove the battery when handing the laptop in.
  • Bought a 2nd hand laptop which turned out to be more or less a fraud, because this model had severe problems with the graphics card which basically require the system board to be replaced. The repair guy definitely knew his stuff and fixed it 2 times for free (after lengthy discussions) every 3-4 months, but no long-term solution. Resold the laptop and lost money. This shows me that there ARE skilled repair guys - he could take apart the laptop within 5 minutes without breaking anything (I did it myself with a similar model once and it took me an hour ;)). He also did soldering work on the GPU so definitely one of the 'advanced' repair guys. However, this was a Compaq v3000 series, a VERY common model.

After those experiences I gave up on the hope I could outsmart the IT fraudsters at Pantip with my knowledge, or at least identify and avoid them ;)

One problem with service in Thailand, you need to stand and watch the people complete your service, if you go away they will disregard what you need done and take care of other people who come in and watch what they are doing. Then when you come back and nothing has been done, you need to stand there and watch them work. Something I've learned here in Thailand, if you want something done quickly, do not leave the side of the person doing the fixing.

^ I second that! Also helps avoid having some work done that you did not order (like replacement of parts) ;)

welo

^ I second that! Also helps avoid having some work done that you did not order (like replacement of parts) ;)

welo

A lot of construction/repair type business usually have a lot of supervisors frequently visiting the work site for two reasons: (1) check on the quality of work and have corrections made befor too late and (2) keep the workers working versus resting/talking. I live in a moobaan where the developer still has a lot of houses under construction and I see this supervisor and worker cat-and-mouse game going on everyday. Getting quality work done in Thailand can be a challenge whether it construction, computer repair, etc....there is little concern for repeat business or for the repair lasting beyond the warranty repair period.

For computer repairs I would always recommend the manufacturer's service center where a higher degree of quality work is usually accomplished...better replacement parts stock...and they won't use silicone to glue your laptop case back together.

Edited by Pib

Absolutely.

They have trained staff and access to the spares. :thumbsup:

This applies to ALL electronic items, not just computers.