Is It Farang Or Falang

peregrine8

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s farang but most Thai’s have a problem pronouncing their RRRR’s so what you’ll hear is falang.

As an example of mispronunciation ask a Thai to say the word Lottery and you will find most struggle to get their tongue around the word.

RRRR’ and LLLL’s are a problem for many Thai people.

As my Thai teacher used to say, providing you understand does it really matter?

Get used to the word coming out as falang.

I can put this to bed. It's Farang, because the r would be the most common way to transcribe the Thai letter ร. That said, this letter is very often pronounced as L. Still, "Farang" is the most obvious way to transliterate ฝรั่ง (Either the fruit or the common word for Westerner)

Note: when in writing I think "Farang" is the best option, but in colloquial spoken language, Falang is fine. Large parts of the country don't really pronounce the ร as R. In the Lao and Northern Thai alphabets there even isn't an R at all.

So it's no biggie either way. Mai Pen Lai, as they say. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I can put this to bed. It's Farang, because the r would be the most common way to transcribe the Thai letter ร. That said, this letter is very often pronounced as L. Still, "Farang" is the most obvious way to transliterate ฝรั่ง (Either the fruit or the common word for Westerner)

Note: when in writing I think "Farang" is the best option, but in colloquial spoken language, Falang is fine. Large parts of the country don't really pronounce the ร as R. In the Lao and Northern Thai alphabets there even isn't an R at all.

Understood... Thanks.....:)

There is no official Romanization of the Thai language, so you can call it Fatlump and still be as correct as Farang. However, it is definitely true that Farang is as correct as you can be in a situation like this. Falang is very hayseed and people who use it should be embarrassed. It makes me cringe to read (see above) but I don't mind Thais who pronounce it that way as that is their dialect. Foreigners should really use the R sound, but I guess some Thai-ier than Thais can't help themselves.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

There is no official Romanization of the Thai language, so you can call it Fatlump and still be as correct as Farang. However, it is definitely true that Farang is as correct as you can be in a situation like this. Falang is very hayseed and people who use it should be embarrassed.

:lol: yes indeed I feel the sense of deep shame washing over me right now :lol:

I do tend to write the word as 'farang' but sometimes I may 'slip' and write 'falang' but I hear it pronounced, by the Thai people I know, and pronounce it myself, as 'falang' but more with the half 'R' half 'L' as described before.

I aspire to the urban elite and sincerely hope and pray that I may, one day, be less hayseed-like in my outlook and diction.

Perhaps the hope of some Pygmalionesque 'Henry Higgins' rescuing me from my inarticulate peasant-speak is fading with age, but I dare to dream.

'gawd bless yer eyes milord, yer a toff an no mistake!' tongue.gif

Edited by bifftastic

it is farang if ur gf is educated and falang if she is not.

ok, so my friend in bangkok (not my g/f by the way, who is as uneducated as I am), having completed her bachelors degree, now studying for her masters, working in the marketing department of a Japanese company, is uneducated? Ok I'll let her know, that someone who spells 'your' as 'ur' thinks she's uneducated.

WinnieTheKhwai is quite right, however also consider that what you hear is not the same as what a Thai hears. We learn to recognise sounds and tones at a young age. When we hear the ร constanant, we try to substitute it with a R or L sound. Thais hear ร .

When a Thai says hot ร้อน do you hear Ron, Lon or even Hon?

It’s farang but most Thai’s have a problem pronouncing their RRRR’s so what you’ll hear is falang.

As an example of mispronunciation ask a Thai to say the word Lottery and you will find most struggle to get their tongue around the word.

RRRR’ and LLLL’s are a problem for many Thai people.

Ask a Thai to say "SQUIRREL", I'm LMAO now at some of the attempts I've heard by Thai's trying to say it. :lol:

Yeah it's farang but we know what it means. ;)

It's farang but most Thai's have a problem pronouncing their RRRR's so what you'll hear is falang.

RRRR' and LLLL's are a problem for many Thai people.

Ask a Thai to say "SQUIRREL", I'm LMAO now at some of the attempts I've heard by Thai's trying to say it. :lol:

Try getting a Falang to say กล้วย and you will see Thais rolling on the floor laughing.

There is no official Romanization of the Thai language, so you can call it Fatlump and still be as correct as Farang. However, it is definitely true that Farang is as correct as you can be in a situation like this. Falang is very hayseed and people who use it should be embarrassed. It makes me cringe to read (see above) but I don't mind Thais who pronounce it that way as that is their dialect. Foreigners should really use the R sound, but I guess some Thai-ier than Thais can't help themselves.

You're right! It also infuriates me when I hear someone speaking English and not enunciating properly. I aspire to speak perfect Thai and was lucky enough to find an inspirational role model on the BTS (perhaps it was you?), an expat Farang saying "kRRu kRRup, yuu dRRong nai na kRRup? RRor mai wai kRRup". I've never heard a Thai person speak like that, hi or lo-so (except perhaps for a newsreader) and in my quest for integration, that's where I want to be.

hahahaha try Mr Fridge gets them every time....whats your name? Mr Fridge....MR Frith? No Fridge... Fisth? no....

In this day and age farang or falang used to describe a group of people who's skin is a different colour is completely unnecessary, rude and ignorant in every sense.

• Like 1

Wait, why should a foreigner confirm to Central Thai (Or Southern Thai I suppose) even when he doesn't live in that region? Even more, be 'embarrassed' to speak the language of the region where he lives? (Also noting that also a lot of Central Thais bother with the R only in formal situations.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Wait, why should a foreigner confirm to Central Thai (Or Southern Thai I suppose) even when he doesn't live in that region? Even more, be 'embarrassed' to speak the language of the region where he lives? (Also noting that also a lot of Central Thais bother with the R only in formal situations.)

Agreed isn't communication more important .

hahahaha try Mr Fridge gets them every time....whats your name? Mr Fridge....MR Frith? No Fridge... Fisth? no....

In this day and age farang or falang used to describe a group of people who's skin is a different colour is completely unnecessary, rude and ignorant in every sense.

I agree

White people should not be repeating derogatory racist words about themselves.

No it isn't.

Don't get so upset there.

BTW, if you enjoy upsetting the Thai-grammar nazis on the forum...

I tend to here 'Flang' these days, without the 'A'. It take less effort. maybe it'll be 'lang' in a couple of years as I continue to impress :whistling:

:lol:

So true.... English words now spoken in Sanooks home..

bon(k) = bonkers (often spoken by me to mrs sanook you're bonkers..her mai bon(k)

Too me that is like saying you shoule pronounce 'Taipei" with a "P" phoneme rather than a "B" because it is spelled with a P.

It makes me CRINGE when I hear a Tiawanese use the P around "Whitey" because they think we would not know any better....

sorry folks, it is Taipei is pronounced with a B thats it... not being more Chinese than the Tiawanese etc....

I use the L phoneme when I say Falang, because that is what i hear, it is not because it is what i have read.... and i for sure do not think i am more thia than a thai. they for sure reserve that special place on their own merrits

I am sorry if I upset anyone by posting this thread.. and no I was not trolling.. I have wondered for a while now and had been a little embarressed to ask.... I guess this is what happens when you post when drunk...:rolleyes: Now for those that answered the question.. Thank you.....

Peregrine8

Ok ! get a load of this then.

Farang

Used in Thai language as a generic term for foreigner, typically used to refer to those of European ancestry

and strangely enough also black Africans.

It is also used and refers to plants or animals that are foreign in origin e.g. Potato.

The word Farang derives from "Français" because the French people were among,

if not, the first Caucasian foreigners presented in the Kingdom of Thailand.

This may be derogatory depending on context.