Overseas Transfers/Withdrawals

My recent experiences trying to register for internet banking services with TMB and Bangkok Banks haven't filled me with much confidence in the Thai banking industry. So I just want to confirm a few things about withdrawing money from these two Thai bank accounts while I'm overseas, assuming my approval for OS transfers with BKK Bank's internet banking won't be approved in time / or gets stuffed up somehow:

---

1 - My Bangkok Bank and TMB bank cards both have the 'Plus' logo on the back, which someone at the bank said means I can withdraw cash overseas (charged at a rate of 75 Baht). Is that true? Any problems with doing this - ie what if I accidently enter the wrong PIN and the bank locks access to my account?

2 - If I can withdraw money via an ATM overseas with these cards, what will the withdrawal limit be per day (I'm guessing about the equivalent of 20,000 Baht in local currency)?

3 - What happens if I lose my cards or have them stolen? Can the bank send me new ones when I am living overseas, or will I be required to come back to Thailand and fill out more dam_n forms?

4 - If I do lose my cards (and I don't have internet banking) what other options do I have for accessing my money from overseas? For example, can I do international transfers via telephone?

5 - Can I set up an international funds transfer for a year in advance?

----

Yes, I realise I could, of course, just send the money OS right now whilst I'm still in the country, but I'm anticipating recieving money from my old employer after leaving the country for a few more months - so I have to arrange transfers while I'm outside of Thailand. The amount of time it's taken me to verify my ID with these banks for internet banking has gotten me worried about something happening when I'm in Australia and I can't come into the local branch anymore to sign and verify the 15th photocopy of my passport <_<

1: Plus cards are ok O/sea's. 2:No Idea ask the bank. 3:If it is pmc debit or a visa debit U go through them not the bank. 4:NO 5:Yes I have one out of Australia which auto sends money to Thailand each month, see the bank find out yourself.

Edited by chainarong

So many questions, so much doubt...

PLUS means you can withdraw cash anywhere the PLUS logo is on an ATM; and probably anywhere a VISA logo is shown too. You should be holding a regular Be1st card from Bangkok Bank - the chip card is NOT widely accepted at international locations - because most foreign ATMs still do not read the chip.

The withdrawal limit depends on your card limit and on the amount of cash the foreign ATM can dispense. Check what your daily limit is for cash withdrawals at the call center; you may be able to change the limit if it needs to be higher.

If you lose your cards or they get stolen it is most unlikely that they will send a card from Thailand. Not the least of which is because you have to set the PIN in the branch when the card is issued. You can have more than one card on your account if you want it and are prepared to pay the annual fees.

You cannot do intl transfers on the phone.

If you're using internet banking for international funds transfers there is a renewal process which requires you to resubmit evidence of income (entitlement to transfer funds is based on assumption of income earned) - I recall that this happens about Oct/Nov time. The bank will email you and as I recall there is a fax number where you can send the documents (no branch!) So, you can set future dated transactions; but you'll need to have this authority in place.

No idea about TMB.

Hi myauq I sent you a PM. Please contact me as I noted in that message and I will see if I can help to get your problem sorted out. Thanks.

Ian

Kasikornbank. Saw them recommended on another thread and was having hassles with getting service from bangkok bank - wanted internet and couldn't get it.

Walked into Kasikorn Thapae main office (Chiang mai) with my passport and 500 baht, walked out with a visa/plus card, internet access 20 minutes later. Got one of their 'web shopping' cards (apply online from your kasikorn account) and am now hooked into paypal, no hassles.

Hi myauq I sent you a PM. Please contact me as I noted in that message and I will see if I can help to get your problem sorted out. Thanks.

Ian

Kasikornbank. Saw them recommended on another thread and was having hassles with getting service from bangkok bank - wanted internet and couldn't get it.

Walked into Kasikorn Thapae main office (Chiang mai) with my passport and 500 baht, walked out with a visa/plus card, internet access 20 minutes later. Got one of their 'web shopping' cards (apply online from your kasikorn account) and am now hooked into paypal, no hassles.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply.

I should say that I can't do it with my existing account. Pay pal is a bit pricey with their foreign exchange rates.

Just one more question about Bangkok ibanking...

When my overseas account is finally registered with this service, and I try and make a transfer, will they send me the OTP (one time password) by SMS or email? If they send it by SMS then I'm screwed, but if it's email then that should be ok. Or can I decide which one to use?

Thanks again :jap:

As I said in my PM to you, please email me here at the Bank and I will get somebody to talk you through things and ensure you are ok.

We can't deal with specific customer cases on forums like ThaiVisa. Thanks

Ian

Edited by ianguygil