Old Thai Hand Needs Advice On Entry Without Visa

Having never entered Thailand without a Visa, my question is: regarding the 30 day permission to stay stamp issued to those holders of passports from visa exempt countries, will I be required to have a round trip ticket?

My round trip ticket is BKK to SYD to BKK on Quantas. I am returning to Thailand with years of yearly extensions of Non-O visas in my passport, but my last one has expired so I will be arriving without a current re-entry permit, nor a current extension of my non-immigrant O.

Will I get in without a ticket showing a departure???

Would any documents showing I retired in Thailand 10 years ago help? Are they needed.

Sure would appreciate information from someone who has done this recently. I have read the regulations but they are couched in terms of Tourists and not those returning to Thailand from an overseas trip. Most suggest a departure ticket is needed!!! Many thanks for your help.

You can buy a ticket but the airline will likely not allow you on board without proof of onward travel within that 30 day period you are allowed. You should obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa to start the retirement extension of stay process again or at least a tourist visa to remove the boarding issue.

I concur. There have been reports that Australian airports are especially vigilant in enforcing that. Could he get by with an air ticket out to Malaysia (etc.) leaving within 30 days of arrival in Thailand? That would work from the USA but not sure about Australia.

Any air ticket to a country he is allowed entry would work - but it does not appear time is critical so getting a free tourist visa or paying for a non immigrant if planning to stay would seem the best options.

Such great and accurate advice. Thank you all who have replied. I will bite my tongue as I do most times I deal with Immigration and Consulates and go back and get a tourist visa in Sydney. I opted to not continue with obtaining a Visa when the 30 day permit to stay was suggested by the guy at the visa window but the small print at the bottom of the document clearly states a ticket leaving Thailand is required. I will take a pre-addressed stamped envelope so they might mail the visa to me after two days avoiding at least one more hour and half bus trip into the city during the rush hour.

The friendly Thai at the window agreed that a two day delay in giving me the visa was really not sensible but that is their policy.

The advice about Australian Airlines being sticklers regarding immigration regulations is quite true and I have no interest in risking a denial of boarding.

Thanks again for your prompt and accurate replies.

Admission into Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt entry is no problem. Any trouble will be with the airline, they could deny you boarding without a visa or onward ticket.

This is true, as the airlines have become the prime authority as it applies to proof of onward travel - for the obvious reasons, respective immigration depts/governments will come to them first if any such problems arise. Though, there are occasions and exceptions that a few international carriers tend to be quite blase' about the sternly enforced rule....usually just a glich or oversight. I wouldn't bet on it in any case. In days of past, one could get around this rule with a 'MCO' {miscellaneous charges order} written up with no set destination for onward travel - this doesn't even work anymore. Personally, I find this handed upon authority on to the airlines to be somewhat illegal {or maybe it's not} - as most immigration check-in procedures have become quite routine without the responsibilities that attached themselves. These policy infrastructures certainly do apply to Thailand, with the shear numbers of daily entrances, it would be extremely difficult to keep up.