Cannot Play Movies

spacebass

When I download a movie at the time it should start playing it comes up with a box "MPL loader" in box 'Dll "xxxx" cannot be loaded Specified module could not be found' click Ok goes onto the next DLL that cannot be loaded a few times then 'Windows Media has encountered an unknown error ' Options : close / Web help (no good).

I have Download accelerator Plus (DAP) Free version installed, I have removed it and reinstalled it since this happened and also reinstalled Winows Media Player, by way of upgrade.

I also cannot play clips already downloaded same same, When I remove (DAP) everytime I go to downlaod a movie it calls for DAP even though it has been removed from machine (another problem as it stops me downloading anything.

I feel DAP is at the heart of this I have tried to remove the ads part with Spybot, which may interfere with it working properly but I have reinstalled since then and it should be there 100%.

Any ideas?

You may want to read what SpyBot S&D has to say about DAP here

DAP Removal info here

It would help others to assist you, if you would provide the following info:

. Operating System in use & version (ie: WinXP-SP2)

. Browser make/version

. Version of Windows Media Player used

cheers :o

You may want to read what SpyBot S&D has to say about DAP here

DAP Removal info here

It would help others to assist you, if you would provide the following info:

. Operating System in use & version (ie: WinXP-SP2)

. Browser make/version

. Version of Windows Media Player used

Yes I am aware of the apparent squabble going on between DAP and Spybot, Dap swears innocence, and in fairness to them I used it for a long time before this problem arose, and if it is related to Spybot then I can say I was happy before I ran Spybot and I am not now.

When I initially tried to remove DAP it would not be removed but I went to Google and sussed how to remove it, a blip in the program say DAP.

I am using Media player version 10 , but problem started with 9 and in trying to reinstall 9 I ended up with 10.

Browser: Firefox 1.0.4 but problem existed in previous level and I have Windows XP pro with SP2 .

spacebass - I'm assuming the dll's cpuinf32.dll and/or mplapx.dll are the xxxxxx dll's your referring to, and the dll's Media Player can't find. (They were originally developed by Intel video codecs but now handled by Ligos. Also be aware there are apparently several versions which incorporate spyware.) If the dll names indicated above are what you saw, a couple of things you might try are:

1. Have your recently installed or uninstalled any Ulead brand software? (Ulead utilizes these ddl's, but sometimes leave them behind, damaged, when a program is uninstalled.) If above was the case, run regedit, look for any "Ligos" entries and delete them and reinstall Windows Media Player. (If your not comfortable with editing the registry, skip this step and try step 2. or find a friend who is knowledgeable about registry editing.)

2. If above doesn't apply/work, try the following:

a.) Click START > RUN and enter in window: "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\setup_wm.exe" (without quotes)

b.) Click OK

c.) Reinstall Windows Media Player

d.) Reboot computer

Check if it will now play your videos.

If you still have problems, try this:

a.) Place your Windows XP CD in the CD/DVD ROM drive

b.) Click START > RUN and type in window: "SFC /SCANNOW" (without quotes)

c.) Click OK

If neither of above works, hopefully another member has some ideas.

Edited by waldwolf

spacebass - I'm assuming the dll's cpuinf32.dll and/or mplapx.dll are the xxxxxx dll's your referring to, and the dll's Media Player can't find. (They were originally developed by Intel video codecs but now handled by Ligos. Also be aware there are apparently several versions which incorporate spyware.) If the dll names indicated above are what you saw, a couple of things you might try are:

1. Have your recently installed or uninstalled any Ulead brand software? (Ulead utilizes these ddl's, but sometimes leave them behind, damaged, when a program is uninstalled.) If above was the case, run regedit, look for any "Ligos" entries and delete them and reinstall Windows Media Player. (If your not comfortable with editing the registry, skip this step and try step 2. or find a friend who is knowledgeable about registry editing.)

2. If above doesn't apply/work, try the following:

a.) Click START > RUN and enter in window:  "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\setup_wm.exe" (without quotes)

b.) Click OK

c.) Reinstall Windows Media Player

d.) Reboot computer

Check if it will now play your videos.

If you still have problems, try this:

a.) Place your Windows XP CD in the CD/DVD ROM drive

b.) Click START > RUN and type in window:  "SFC /SCANNOW" (without quotes)

c.) Click OK

If neither of above works, hopefully another member has some ideas.

Dear Waldwolf,

Thank you very much for your interesting and knowledgeable suggestions, heres what happened:

1: I did have a look in the registry front page but wary of warnings on dabbling in it, I could not see any obvious path so closed, later on however while sitting here pondering I opened a program I have onboard calle 'Regcleaner' and in the list of programs it offered for deletion was :Ligos-LSX-MPEG player so I deleted it.

2: I then ran SFC/Scannow (although the XP disk is not the XP disk used for this install!!) It came up with ' Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache, insert Windows Pro CD now' I put in my disc and it ran through OK I then reinstalled Windows media 10 from a download rather than from control panel.

Then when I 1st tried to play a clip it came up with 'missing or damaged plugin all optional plugins wil be disabled' (new), now when I try to play a movie it still comes with missing dll but has the first frame of the movie on the screen , and offers to send a report to microsoft , neither of which happened before. But still missing Dlls and still no movies?? But progress?

Thank you for your further comment.

I once had a DLL problem with playing games and after reformatting my PC the problem was gone so maybe in ur case u deleted the DLL when there was a virus in it or there may be a virus in ur DLL. Do a virus and spyware and quarantine the virus then if it still doesnt work then u gotta get a codec or reformat ur PC, good luck! :o

spacebass & syd barrett - A couple more thoughts on this problem.

1) Double check the file associations for WMA, to make sure extension call-ups are pointed correctly.

2) Before you attempt running WMA again, close all open windows and disable any "active" antivirus or antispyware programs. Now run another test.

3) If available, try another player (e.g. Quicktime) to see if it will play the movie.

More questions :o

1) Was the WinXP Pro currently installed the original OS for the system, or was it an update from WinXP Home or an earlier Win98x version?

2) Have you ever reinstalled or attempted to reinstall, the current OS?

3) Was the currently installed WinXP Pro originally version SP1 and you later updated to SP2, or was it SP2 from the beginning?

4) You say the original XP install and the XP disk your currently using for "testing" are not the same. Was either of these an OEM reinstall disk, which came with the computer? If so which was which?

5) Was the WMA 10 you installed a "fresh" copy downloaded from the Microsoft WMA website, or did you obtain it from another source?

cheers :D

waldwolf:

1. have win Xp home edition, I updated SP2 about 4 months ago with no problems.

2. None of my players work. Windows, real or Quick Time.

3. When I did your suggested reinstall, I connected to Microsoft and got version 10.

4. This occurred 'overnight', one minute I had movies, next day can't play any.

Can you tell me what this file associations is? How do I try that?

I have AVG virus and spybot and spyware doctor and regscrubXP but I have not had a virus for a while anyway. Thanks for any help....

waldwolf:

1. have win Xp home edition, I updated SP2 about 4 months ago with no problems.

2. None of my players work. Windows, real or Quick Time.

3. When I did your suggested reinstall, I connected to Microsoft and got version 10.

4. This occurred 'overnight', one minute I had movies, next day can't play any.

Can you tell me what this file associations is? How do I try that?

I have AVG virus and spybot and spyware doctor and regscrubXP  but I have not had a virus for a while anyway. Thanks for any help....

More or less same here, Waldwolf you say 'retest' how do you test in the first place, sorry for my ignorance, Kind regards , spacey!

Edited by spacebass

syd - File association refers to a programs extension which utilizes a designated program to "open" that particular program.

For example, lets say you have a picture of your pet, named ourdogxmas04.jpeg and you want to view that picture on your computer using your browser. In order for this to happen when you double click on the picture, the extension needs to be "associated" (been previously told) to use iexplore.exe to open/display that file. That same picture could also have been "associated" with other programs such as Photoshop, ACDSee or any of a dozen other photo/video processing software.

Review and follow the Microsoft support document here, which explains the process better than I ever could.

After you have confirmed the "associations" are correct, I would now try the following, after you disconnect completely from the internet. Shut down ALL programs running in the background except Explorer. Then double click your movie and confirm it is opening the correct "player". (If any errors are reported, write down their details.)

spacebass - When I say "retest" or "run another test", I mean try running the program (movie) again by double clicking its icon and check if it opens/plays correctly using the correct "associated" program (e.g. WMP).

You might also want to review Microsoft's lengthy discussions on codecs, beginning here.

On two occassions, and for reasons unknown, I found making and putting a shortcut to a particular program I wish to use, in the "SendTo" folder, and then right clicking the program icon I wish to open, then by using the "SendTo" function to point it to the correct associated program, worked, when just clicking on the original icon did not work. :o

As the old saying goes, "whatever works".

good luck :D