End Emergency Soon, Anand Urges Thai Govt

webfact

REFORM AND RECONCILIATION

End emergency soon, Anand urges govt

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former Prime Minister Anand Panyarachun's reform committee yesterday urged the government to end the state of emergency to create the right atmosphere for national reconciliation as the political situation had stabilised even as the rival yellow and red groups are showing signs of compromise.

In a statement faxed to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, the committee said it was concerned that continuance of the state of emergency would have a negative effect on national reconciliation, and it was also against democratic principles.

The 20-member National Reform Committee (NRC) was set up by Abhisit to map out a plan for reforms after political clashes between the elite-backed government and the red shirts from the low-income working class killed 90 people and injured nearly 2,000 other people in April and May.

The government declared a state of emergency in 24 provinces, including Bangkok, on April 7 when a group of red shirts stormed into the Parliament compound amid the political tension. Prime Minister Abhisit decided to exempt five provinces from the emergency law on July 7. The Cabinet decided again on Tuesday to lift the state of emergency in three provinces, leaving 16 provinces currently where the decree remains in force. Unless the government decides to lift it, the renewable state of emergency would last for three months.

The emergency law is regarded as undemocratic as it authorises the government to crack down on political opponents. Many red-shirt protesters are now being detained under the law while many people were arrested recently because they expressed their political views against the government. Activists and students were arrested recently after they expressed their intention to commemorate the military crackdown on the red shirts in April and May.

"The decision [to end the state of emergency] would help improve the political situation and would be useful in helping the government solve problems," the NRC statement said.

Some problems and difficulties might remain, but the committee suggested that the government rely on political measures, rather than tough law enforcement, to solve problems. "The end of the emergency would be a good start," the statement said.

Anand said many people in the country had expressed their concerns in different ways about the emergency law. Some focus on security concerns while many people look at the human rights aspect, he said.

It might be difficult for the government to take the decision while many problems remain but the committee sees that the situation in some aspects has already returned to normal, he said.

"If the government really relies on democratic principles, it should consider a political solution rather than harsh law enforcement," Anand said. "So the state of emergency should end as soon as possible."

Prime Minister Abhisit could not be reached for comment immediately after the NRC decision but he had said earlier that he had no problem with the public demand to end the state of emergency if the situation was back to normal.

"I want to end it as soon as possible but it would not be good if there are some difficulties after the state of emergency is lifted," Abhisit told reporters.

"I want to stress that whole of society should lay emphasis on peace and order in the country. We have to help each other to overcome the troubles," he said.

Prior to the NRC's suggestion yesterday, the leaders of the rival yellow and red shirts agreed to drop eight libel lawsuits between them in a settlement brokered by the Criminal Court.

Sondhi Limthongkul, co-leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, met with Veera Musigapong and Natthawut Saikua, leaders of the red-shirt movement, at the court on Ratchadaphisek Road. After seven hours of a discussion mediated by court officials, they decided to drop the cases they had filed against their rivals.

Their decision was regarded as a good sign for the political situation as the two groups have been at loggerheads for years.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-23

the elite-backed government and the red shirts from the low-income working class

Always amuses me when I see that one "the low income working class" thaksin family and the millionare red shirt leaders.

Yea right!!!!!!

I think Anand is a good man and it will be great when the SOE can be lifted everywhere however I think the Govt, PM, is going about it the correct way, a little at a time as a test.

If it were all lifed at the same time it would be like saying "go for it reds" and they likely would.

But to do it a few provinces at a time leaves the option of maintaining it in others or even reinstating it if violance happens where it has been lifted.

As it is being done now is sending the message; 'behave or it will be with us for a long time'

Lifting the Emergency Decree is not enough. Stop the lock-down on freedom of expression. All these are totally undemocratic. Using the excuse of the Red menace is like asking yourself when you safe to cross the road. The Reds will be around during or after the Emergency.

I sleep much better with the SOE in place. I hope it will not be removed forever. If you are not a bad person, what do you have to be afraid of? It is not like it has a curfew that restrict your movement. The SOE is like your anti-virus program that runs in the background. Once install, it protect your computer from virus attack, and you don't even know that it is there. So I would suggest to have SOE in every country in this world.