Voip, Cable And Internet

HarryLL76

What VOIP system do you guys use (Vonage, Magic Jack or other) and how do they work with the internet speed in CM?

Also, the posts that I have read seem to say that cable packages do not provide many American news and network channels. If true, are there alternative such as Satellite TV?

Thanks

Harry

I use Skype and SIP based client(s) connecting to mostly to Asterisk server(s) in the US. Works great. There are an ever growing list of SIP applications that work on computers, smart phones etc.

SIP software

The Sat TV situation is truly sad in Thailand. Don't waste your money on UBC aka TrueVision. Get a good internet connection and download or stream your content.

Location has a lot to do with how good your ISP service can be. Don't expect to move anywhere and get great speeds and uptime.

We use MagicJack, but I thought it worked only in the U.S. and Canada. Don't know -- we don't make very many phone calls so the price is right. I have problems with the voice cutting in-and-out if I'm trying to use other internet functions, like to call up a website page while I'm talking with a bank or credit card customer service rep on the MagicJack. Might be worth investigating another service if you plan to use it frequently.

• 3 weeks later...

SKYPE. I happen to live in a neighborhood where AIS 3G works well, most of the time - but AIS is irregular enough that I could not count on it alone for business. Also, phone call recipients seem to have difficulty sometimes, whereas I can hear almost perfectly.

As for TV - particularly "American," from what I have read here during the last 10 months, all choices are disappointing for all tastes - and in some ways getting worse. Only joy appears to be renting/buying movies - there was even a thread about real blue-ray.

I have to admit I use Skype as well. It's not the rock bottom cheapest, or the best, and it uses proprietary technology, but it is convenient to use, and many of my contacts use it so its not all that often that I call out to regular phones. But when I do, it works very well.

• Like 1