Lcd Tvs - Computer Monitors

Johnniey

I'd like to buy a 30 " computer screen but can't seem to find one anywhere - any ideas?

Alternatively, I'll buy a 32" TV. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy one - Big C, Tesco, Powerbuy etc.

The TV will be strictly for my computer and particularly for playing some games - can anyone recommend such a tv?

Thanks

Johnniey

A 32" LCD TV will typically display at 1372 x 768 (this is a 720p display). I use mine with a small netbook attached as a media centre, but can easily hook up my big box to play games etc. They will have VGA and several HDMI inputs so should work for your gaming needs.

Best thing to do is to go to a electronic store and jot down a few model numbers, then do a shedload of research online to see which one has more bang for buck. I'm sure there are people here who can help out with opinions.

My personal preference is to go about it the other way; I primarily use a 23" samsung - it will do full 1080p, has DVI and HDMI inputs, and was dirt cheap (i think about $250 ish). when you are sat up close it's big enough for most tasks.

Good luck.

Why buy anything else than a fullHD TV today??? Especially if you want to play on it, and keep it close to your nose. So the claim that "A 32" LCD TV will typically display at 1372 x 768 (this is a 720p display)" is <deleted> to me.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything like a LCD at Lotus or similar, they don't have the latest models. Go to a mall and get it, Powerbuy might work too.

Get LG, best value vs. specs.

Why buy anything else than a fullHD TV today??? Especially if you want to play on it, and keep it close to your nose. So the claim that "A 32" LCD TV will typically display at 1372 x 768 (this is a 720p display)" is <deleted> to me.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything like a LCD at Lotus or similar, they don't have the latest models. Go to a mall and get it, Powerbuy might work too.

Get LG, best value vs. specs.

Go to Pantip! They will have anything you need!

I demo'd the same series of Samsung LCD against LED the other day and the LCD's looked very poor in comparison. If you want to watch movies and TV on a display I'd recommend a full HD LED TV. Samsung Series 6200 or 6900 looks the best for price and quality and they make a 32".

Just about any LED TV will just work fine. The video quality of LCD TVs are not as good as LED TVs. My friend bought a cheap 32" (Chinese brand) LED TV at Big C which was on sale for 10,000 baht.. Works better and supports more video modes than his 42" JVC! He likes it much better than a monitor. His TV also has audio plugs, so no speakers are required. Just a cable (90 baht).

Edited by BB1950

Any thing less than full HD (1920 * 1080) would look grainy up close. 720P mentioned earlier is old hat. You also need to look at response with gaming you could end up with lots long trails behind fast moving objects.

Edited by garyh

I demo'd the same series of Samsung LCD against LED the other day and the LCD's looked very poor in comparison. If you want to watch movies and TV on a display I'd recommend a full HD LED TV. Samsung Series 6200 or 6900 looks the best for price and quality and they make a 32".

I see from the website that Samsung do a 32" LCD Tv and a 32" HD LCD Tv. Is the HD that much better?

High Definition right?

I see from the website that Samsung do a 32" LCD Tv and a 32" HD LCD Tv. Is the HD that much better?

High Definition right?

I don't know what website you looked at, but I recommend the LED technology, not the LCD.

And I would go for full 1080 HD every time, not something labelled "HD Ready" or any resolution less than 1920 x 1080 pixels.

The difference in current models of LCD and LED is you have a different type of back-light for the LCD display. Side by side LED looks great as there is much more light available for contrast. But in dim light of home that advantage may not be needed. It is surly the future but price still should fall a bit before it become a necessity - and with each generation comes other changes/improvements so I would wait awhile if not using for roadside daylight display.

Today the price of 1080 is down to very little more than the old 720 so I would highly advise buying unless you want the cheapest available LCD.

The difference in current models of LCD and LED is you have a different type of back-light for the LCD display. Side by side LED looks great as there is much more light available for contrast. But in dim light of home that advantage may not be needed. It is surly the future but price still should fall a bit before it become a necessity - and with each generation comes other changes/improvements so I would wait awhile if not using for roadside daylight display.

I understand the difference between the LED and the LCD technologies but side by side the LED looked to handle motion much better better. Both were the same series and equivalent model but the picture quality, the motion and the blur handling was so much better on the LED.

What is with the ratio of contrast on these LED TVs being in the millions now? A couple of years ago a plasma with contrast of 3000:1 was considered good until an unbelievable 10,000:1 display came out. I saw some sets the other day claiming to be 8million:1!

I have a 32inch samsung led tv connected via hdmi from my pc with a resolution of 1920 x 1080,the hdmi cable also carries the audio signal, the picture is great for watching a movie, but rubbish for any computer work, so i have a 19inch viewsonic monitor connected via vga cable with a resolution of 1440 x 900,with an extended display, great for computer work etc. I would not use a tv be it led or lcd as a monitor on its own, the quality is not that good.

I would not use a tv be it led or lcd as a monitor on its own, the quality is not that good.

That's the impression I had prior to reading this thread. Are you & I operating on feedback from the past? It seems odd that this thread has continued more than 10 posts before someone brought this up.

So, to the community at large, are the current generation of 1080 HD LCD/LED TVs acceptable for use as computer monitors, viewed up close?

I would not use a tv be it led or lcd as a monitor on its own, the quality is not that good.

That's the impression I had prior to reading this thread. Are you & I operating on feedback from the past? It seems odd that this thread has continued more than 10 posts before someone brought this up.

So, to the community at large, are the current generation of 1080 HD LCD/LED TVs acceptable for use as computer monitors, viewed up close?

There are several ways a LED TV can be connected to a PC: Analog Video (the standard yellow video plug),S-Video, VGA, DVI, or HDMI (HDMI also uses audio). Analog Video, S-Video and VGA are analog interfaces and are of poorer quality than the digital DVI and HDMI interfaces. Analog Video and S-Video are the poorest video quality and is probably what you are use to seeing in the past. Also the VGA interface to a LED TV is usually limited to just 1024x768 (60hz refresh rate) VGA video mode (some newer TV's allow higher quality VGA video modes), so it will never be the same as a large screen monitor. However with the newer LED TV's there is video enhancement built in the TV. I've seen it up close (less than 2 feet). Yes there is some pixellation and there is a squashed effect due to the difference in aspect ratios. It's not annoying and I can't complain. It's pretty respectable and usable. If it bothers ;you, then by all means get a monitor and pay the price! But I don't think it will not bother most people. Far better than watching video clips on a small display. My friend likes it so much, that he's connecting all his computers to a LED (32" and 42") TV.

And by all means do not even consider a LCD TV! The video quality is not the same, so it's not worth talking about!

If you have doubts, take a laptop and VGA cable to the store and check it out. Also keep in mind that the video will even be better when you use the digital DVI or HDMI interface.

Edited by BB1950

Both Acer and Samsung have 23" full HD monitors (1920x1080) widely available here for 5,990 THB. We bought the Acer model, referenced here, last week and are happy with it so far. Samsung, LG and apple make 30" monitors with 2560x1600 but those will cost 50,000 - 75,000 THB.

A 26" full HD LED TV would be a decent option but I do not believe any are available (1366x768 max.).