Retirement Extension Rejection 8 Weeks To Expiry

Hi All!!!!!

Thought I knew it all! Years of experience, continual research and keeping up with new laws and requirements have kept me in good stead; until today! Never had a problem before; even last year I renewed my extension of stay a full three months before the expiry date of the current.

Anyway, I have used Mapthaput Immigration Office for the last six years with its continual change of personnel. I am married to a Thai lady but have a non-immigrant O and have been extending the stay each year under the retirement classification.

It had clearly been stated that The Immigration Dept would renew such extension upto three months before the current expires. As stated above, they honored this clause only last year. I depart Thailand for Europe on 9th August and today armed with all relevant papers descended on Mapthaput. They refused to give me an extension as my current extension did not expire until 18th September. I was told they were not allowed to do this if the existing extension had longer than one month to run. I implored that the rules stated three months only to be told it was a new regulation. Is this the case? A friend also informed me that on renewing his married (visa) extension, and although it does not apply to me, the same office would not allow the combination of income (Embassy Letter) and deposited money (Single Named Account) and needed to see one or the other. Another new regulation he was told.

As time is running out, and I have forgotten where to find the official wordings, can anyone help with my predicament please. A link as to where a could copy the original clauses from the Immigration Department stating that I am correct or the new immigration requirements would of course be ideal. Thank you all sincerely. Mick

Immigration have always preferred you to apply within the final 30 days of your current permission to stay.

However some have allowed you to apply early if you have a good reason i.e traveling.

As for the Marriage Extension?

There has never been a combination of income and savings.

It has always been one or the other.

As said the rule is 30 days before expiration except on a case-by-case basis for proven reasons. Jomtien had allowed longer and may still allow two months but most places it is and has been a firm 30 days.

As said above combination can not be used for marriage extensions of stay.

This is normal , the rules are changed as they go, i too have a 1 year thai visa married to thai, but when i ran into some issue too as i did everything on published web site etc, T They said no ! the rules changed , i said where and was shown a photocopy of a typed 1 page memo showing the changes which was in a old book on the desk of official. I said well why not change the web info, they said not their job. and thats the end . either comply or go pay a agent who will pay the bribe to do it the old way as on web site, just a Thai money making venture for inside boss !!!! , the more difficult the economy the more the scams for them, they really do not want us here you know !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Lite Beer and Lopburi3 for your concise answering. I am aware that it is who you come into contact with on any given day irrespective of rules. TIT. I did just wonder though whether new rules had come into force on this one!

All Tv users should read your responses, not necessarily for the content, although useful for me, but for how they are written. I, and I am sure I'm not alone, think twice before posting because of the scathing responses that are sometimes written by Tv members.

Maybe, I don't understand your post, but here is my take: You need to leave the Country in Aug, and your extension is not due til Sept.

What is the problem, as I see it you go to Europe in Aug. with a re-entry permit used before you leave, then when you return you get stamped in for 90 days on you retirement and then go to renew your extention.

Did I miss something here??

Maybe, I don't understand your post, but here is my take: You need to leave the Country in Aug, and your extension is not due til Sept.

What is the problem, as I see it you go to Europe in Aug. with a re-entry permit used before you leave, then when you return you get stamped in for 90 days on you retirement and then go to renew your extention.

Did I miss something here??

If he leaves in August with a Re Entry Permit it will only be valid until sometime in September.

"...but when i ran into some issue too as i did everything on published web site etc..."

"...the more difficult the economy the more the scams for them, they really do not want us here you know !!!!!!!!!!"

What was your issue?

...It had clearly been stated that The Immigration Dept would renew such extension upto three months before the current expires...As time is running out, and I have forgotten where to find the official wordings, can anyone help with my predicament please. A link as to where a could copy the original clauses from the Immigration Department stating that I am correct or the new immigration requirements would of course be ideal.

The official, published rules are http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.immigration.go.th%2Fnov2004%2Fdoc%2Ftemporarystay%2Fpolicy777-2551_en.pdf and Thai Police Order 777/2551. Neither of them state within what period prior to the expiration of the current permission to stay the application for extension of stay has to be submitted. From reports of ThaiVisa members throughout the country we know that generally the immigration offices accept applications only within 30 days prior to expiration. Recently, about a year ago, we started seeing reports from members indicating that the Pattaya immigration office, and only this office, invited retired foreigners to submit their applications as early as three months prior to expiration.

Again from reports of members we know that when somebody has to be outside Thailand during the last 30 days prior to expiration and if he submits evidence for this, eg travel tickets, any immigration office has usually given favourable consideration to a polite request for earlier application.

--

Maestro

I have a friend that lives in Thailand 7 months/year and is on a retirment extension. His extension expires each year in August yet he leaves each year in early june to go back fishing in Alaska. He has for the past 3 years taken proof of income ( letter from us ewmbassy stating income) and his ticket out and each year they have renewd it in Bangkok two months before it was due to expire.

If u have some reason for doing it early 99% of the time they will work with u., If ur a asshol_e about it they will bring up the rules. 24 years in Thailand, some time on visa runs ( in the early days), some times on work permits ,few times on marriage and even once on having a thai child and last 8 years on retirement and i have never had any trouble here in Phuket with immigration. Even once when i forgot my 9o day check in and went 140 days, a simple 1,000 baht did the trick.

BY the way, Last 2 times i have left thailand i have taken out the 90 day reporting paper and never was i asked for it at immigration at the airport. I really dont think u need it

If you pay your 1000 baht for the re-entry permit, on a retirement visa, how long do they allow you to stay out of the country??

Up until the date of the expiration of your current permission to stay on your current retirement extension to preserve that extension. Of course if you came in the very last day, you likely wouldn't have time to do a new extension.

Edited by Jingthing

If ur a asshol_e about it they will bring up the rules.

That is often true.

24 years in Thailand, some time on visa runs ( in the early days), some times on work permits ,few times on marriage and even once on having a thai child and last 8 years on retirement and i have never had any trouble here in Phuket with immigration. Even once when i forgot my 9o day check in and went 140 days, a simple 1,000 baht did the trick.

BY the way, Last 2 times i have left thailand i have taken out the 90 day reporting paper and never was i asked for it at immigration at the airport. I really dont think u need it

I always believed they see the 90-day reporting in the computer. Does somebody know whether this is so?

I visited Tak Immigration Office this morning to do my 90 day report. As my 1 year extension expires on 20 Sept 2010, I requested to do this also. This was completed with no questions asked. The service was speedy and efficient, with nil queueing, waiting or returning later for passport.

As is often stated: It all depends on which Immigration Office, and/or which Officer you deal with.