Romanian Tourist Death Prompts Phuket Lifeguard Warning

webfact

Tourist death prompts Phuket lifeguard warning

gallery_327_1086_21767.jpg

BIKINI BRAVE: A foreign tourist enters the surf at Karon, despite

red flags warning of dangerous conditions. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo.

gallery_327_1086_41813.jpg

SEEING RED: Karon lifeguard Chatree Promnoon (left) and fellow lifesaver

Charuay Wonggliang want more tourists to obey the flags – to save their own lives.

Photo: Atchaa Khamlo.

PHUKET: -- The death of Romanian tourist Gheorghe Paulive, who died after being pulled from dangerous surf at Karon on Tuesday, has prompted angry Phuket lifeguards to call for more cooperation from hotels in helping to warn guests about dangerous surf conditions.

Mr Paulive, 35, was pulled from the surf near the Karon Princess Hotel at around 11am on Tuesday.

He was pronounced dead by doctors at Bangkok Hospital Phuket at 5am yesterday, after succumbing from lack of oxygen to the brain.

“The lifeguards on duty were already busy rescuing four other people who were in trouble about 800 meters from him. Someone shouted for us to help the Romanian guy, but it took 10 minutes for us to rescue him because he was caught in the current,” explained Karon head lifeguard Utan Singsom.

Mr Paulive was administered oxygen from the nearest lifeguard station, about a kilometer away, before being rushed to Patong Hospital.

He was transferred to Bangkok Hospital Phuket on Wednesday.

“He should have been informed [of the dangerous surf] by the hotel where he was staying. He was swimming in a danger zone with red flags, where we do not allow people to swim,” said Mr Utan.

“Hotels should inform their guests about things such as the meaning of the different flags. Yellow flags mean ‘can swim, but exercise caution and stay within sight of the lifeguards’, and red flags mean ‘definitely no swimming’,” he said.

“We see guards at hotels helping guests cross the road, but they don’t warn them about swimming in the sea,” he said.

“Hotels let their guests come to swim and die on the beaches we patrol. They don’t let their guests get hit by cars, but they let their guests drown instead. I don’t understand where they get their policies from,” he added.

Mr Utan explained that only a few hotels in the area bothered to turn up to a July 9 meeting held to boost coordination between lifeguards and hotels in saving tourists from the sea.

“A few came, such as Club Med, Movenpick and The Boathouse, but the rest of them did not. They weren’t even interested, even though they are luxury hotels right of the beach,” he said.

“Another meeting will be held again, probably next month, depending on the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organization (PPAO),” he added.

In the past few weeks conditions have been treacherous and some 20 tourists nearly drowned at Kata Noi, Kata and Karon beaches alone during that period, Mr Utan said.

Originally from Phang Nga, the Australian-trained lifeguard has been patrolling Phuket beaches for 12 years.

Twelve lifeguards are responsible for patrolling four kilometer of beach starting at the north end of Karon Beach all the way to the southern end at Kata Noi.

“We have to watch over more than 400 people a day,” he said.

Fellow Karon lifeguard Chartree Promnoon, 32, said that only about 10% of tourists heed warnings not to enter the surf when conditions are dangerous.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-07-23

In Australia, the people who drown at beaches are usually foreigners. The usual reason is that they can't swim or are poor swimmers.

Surf Lifesavers in Australia are reasonably funded & as such, have powered boats to quickly reach a swimmer in distress.

Lifesavers can't always save the non-swimmers & as such, the Thai tourist industry needs to adopt the attitude of, "We care for your safety & as such, we fully support the surf lifesavers & their warnings". I'm sure this attitude will enhance tourism rather than damage it.

Edited by elkangorito

it could be that the tourist couldnt read english or the red flags were too small,

i suggest multi lingual permanent signboards to be placed every 50m along the beach because words of warning on flags will only readable when fluttered by strong winds

the life guards also did not use handheld loud speakers to warn people of the danger every 2 or 3 minutes, in this case..... no sight and no sound, the experienced aussie trained guard should have done that.

it could be that the tourist couldnt read english or the red flags were too small,

i suggest multi lingual permanent signboards to be placed every 50m along the beach because words of warning on flags will only readable when fluttered by strong winds

the life guards also did not use handheld loud speakers to warn people of the danger every 2 or 3 minutes, in this case..... no sight and no sound, the experienced aussie trained guard should have done that.

Right. And let's make the signs so big that they totally block any access to the sea, and permanently broadcast warnings, in every known language, over loud speakers set up along the entire coast, and 5 miles inland. Maybe incorporate it into the safety video shown on all flights into Thailand. "If the sea is rough then don't go swimming". "Deep water can cause drowning". There also needs to be "don't bury yourself in the sand" warnings on all beaches too, the dangers of suffocation are just too great. And while we're at it, how 'bout putting "warning, hot" notices on all fast food coffee cups?

Are they actually managing flags this year ?? ie putting out reds / yellows and controlling swimmers in yellow zones.

Previous years the red flags went out in may and came in in Oct.. That way anyone that drowns they can simply say "they ignored the flags" even tho some days it was flat as mill pond.

Ballpoint is right, how far do the lifeguards has to go. Hotels must inform the tourist about dangerous currents when they check-in. They won't cancel their holiday anymore and the hotels can keep them at the pool and make a few bucks.

My condolences to relatives and friends of Romanian tourist.

I was at Nai Harn beach 2 days ago. Went about 50 meters offshore and guards were absolutely furious. They gave me stern warning. I did not complain, in fact this was the first time in my life beachguard reprimanded me. I really appreciate their concern, hope they continue this way.

RIP. I am sure drowning is a horrible way to die. I was in Phuket last year for about a month. I think there was one death pretty much every week. Several from Russia/Ukraine. A few were stated to be poor swimmers and one was drunk. This is extremely hard to control. I am an ex-lifeguard, and saw the red flags everywhere. Plus, read about it in the paper. We stayed at the Dusit and there were warning signs everywhere. But many people were still swimming....in really rough water. If somebody wants to ignore the warnings, it's their responsibility. Kinda like driving a scooter with no helmet.