Health Scheme For Thais

Bagwan

My step daughhter has recently become pregnant and consulted a doctor in the village. Althougth everything seems to be fine the doctor told her that he wanted her to undergo an ultrsound scan and that this would be carried out free of charge at the hospital in Lomsak, the nearest town. Since my daughter did not have a yellow card (whatever that is) the hospital made a charge of 910 baht. They told her that if she pays then they will issue her with a yellow card and all further attention and support will be free. This last sounds like blackmail to me.Is this yet another administrative cock up, a scam or is everything above board?

We just went through that bringing out stepdaughter to the ER/ED/A&E (depending on where you are from) for a foot laceration. We had to pay a whole 40 baht because her card had lapsed. There is evidently some time limit on the card, and must be renewed on a regular basis. My wife went back the next day and renewed all our cards.

Not a scam, they're just following the rules. But I don't think all the people know about all the rules.

Edited by noahvail

We just went through that bringing out stepdaughter to the ER/ED/A&E (depending on where you are from) for a foot laceration. We had to pay a whole 40 baht because her card had lapsed. There is evidently some time limit on the card, and must be renewed on a regular basis. My wife went back the next day and renewed all our cards.

Not a scam, they're just following the rules. But I don't think all the people know about all the rules.

This is correct. Not a scam at all. One just needs to keep their cards updated.