Any Fresh Coffee Lovers In Doi Saket?

jaideeguy

My friend's mother in law has a coffee farm up in the hills above Doi Saket and I order my coffee from him.....fresh roasted to my order, but the minimum order is 7 kilos. That is a bit much for me to consume while still fresh, so I am willing to share the great price of 300thb/kilo for the best arabica coffee in CM [or anywhere] with someone that can take half of the order 3-4 kilos. Preferably in the Doi Saket/Bo Sang area for convenience.

Anyone interested???

JDG... I'm suspecting maybe even a 3-way, would be good. I'd even go in for 7 and 1-kilo per person.... maybe he'd top it off as a 10k order so you could get your 3. But for me, buying about a kilo or two would do me pretty good, as I am drinking 1-2 cups/ day now. The old me was never like that. I just don't wanna get into to the habit of needing it, not enjoying it, the way some coffee ppl get. I used to know one guy who needed his daily 10-12 cups. I dig the rush, but can't ride the up n down roller coaster of needing it. Waving around 3.5 kilos of coffee ea is like coming back from the duty free with a few cartons of cigarettes - son you must be planning on doin' alot o' smokin'.

JDG... I'm suspecting maybe even a 3-way, would be good. I'd even go in for 7 and 1-kilo per person.... maybe he'd top it off as a 10k order so you could get your 3. But for me, buying about a kilo or two would do me pretty good, as I am drinking 1-2 cups/ day now. The old me was never like that. I just don't wanna get into to the habit of needing it, not enjoying it, the way some coffee ppl get. I used to know one guy who needed his daily 10-12 cups. I dig the rush, but can't ride the up n down roller coaster of needing it. Waving around 3.5 kilos of coffee ea is like coming back from the duty free with a few cartons of cigarettes - son you must be planning on doin' alot o' smokin'.

My main motivation is to [conveniently] get and distribute the 7kilos of coffee to insure a fresh supply. The coffee purists say that fresh coffee should be consumed within 2 weeks of roasting. My consumption [me, wife and occasional visitors] is almost a kilo a week. That sounds like a lot of coffee......we like it strong.

Anyway, it's the convenience factor that I would like to work on setting up. No problem if others would like to join in on the Doi Saket coffee co-op as long as I get my 'fix'. I have a friend with a restaurant in DS that may offer to be an outlet. Will check with him this next week....or any other ideas.

The main objectives being FRESH, CONVIENT [to DS] AND CHEAP.

I thought I drink load of coffee (4-5 cups /d) and spend too much on the beans.  But 4 kilos is a lot to drink!  Very interested 300b/kg is very attractive.  Can I get only two? :rolleyes:

Yeah....300thb/kilo is a great price for premium fresh coffee and I would like to keep the price down and still make it convenient. What is needed is an outlet somewhere, hopefully in the Doi Saket/Bo Sang area. Does anyone know of any possibilities??

I would suggest my place, but would be too hard to find me out in the rice fields.

I also am of the opinion that roasted whole beans are only good for a week or two. Any chance of getting green beans from this source?

Yeah CH, green beans are available.....but you have to remove husk and parchment then roast and my friend tells me rule of thumb is 10k green beans nets 7 kilos roasted. Minimum order for roasting is 10k. Will check on prices of green beans if you want to go thru the process......it takes time and work to prep by hand and roasting is a fine art.

I would be interested in the green beans. I roast my own beans at home. At 80 baht per kg I would buy 5 kg if they are ready to roast. I roast my beans in a wok. It's as easy as making rice and the result makes me wonder why people buy already roasted beans. The coffee smells and tastes awesome. I totally agree with cloudhopper that beans start to get a bit old after a few weeks.

With so many coffee lovers and so many bean growers I wonder why there has never been a coffee festivel in Chiang Mai. It seems like there is an opportunity here waiting to be developed.

I just spoke to Roberto, who has the Italian restaurant in Doi Saket and he is open to being the middle man in distributing the coffee and hopefully within a week or 2, he will have the first order. This will be a med dark roast arabica sold by the kilo. Price should be 350thb/kilo or less. Will post details when he has coffee in hand. Great Italian food at reasonable prices....good piza, pastas and salads.

I just checked on the Doi Chang website and couldn't find any prices listed, then called my friend with the coffee and he says 'no way' they could sell ready to roast green bean for 80thb/kilo. That may be the price for green beans still in the parchment covering and you loose 40% when removing it.

CH, He will sell green beans ready to roast for 170/kilo, roasted @ 300/kilo.

I just checked on the Doi Chang website and couldn't find any prices listed, then called my friend with the coffee and he says 'no way' they could sell ready to roast green bean for 80thb/kilo. That may be the price for green beans still in the parchment covering and you loose 40% when removing it.

CH, He will sell green beans ready to roast for 170/kilo, roasted @ 300/kilo.

300 baht per kilo is possible but I doubt it is AA grade washed, 100% Arabica. If it is, then great and good luck. I would be interested in the roasting technique also.

I buy a lot of freshly roasted coffee from a guy in Chiangmai who actually roasts it in Phuket. I pay 600 baht per kilo for 100% Doi Chang grown coffee and have not found anything that comes close to it in quality. I much rather pay extra for coffee that has been sourced from good growers, sorted properly, roasted to my specs. and delivered to my door.

Coffee, like most foods is subject to personal taste, but there are some quality perameters one should go by.

Let's do a taste off...?

"Let's do a taste off...?"

You're on Lingnoi!! Next roast in a week or so. This coffee is not [officially] graded, but 100% arabica and washed and roasted locally at CMU coffee co-op and @ half the price of Doi Chang and I haven't tasted a better coffee for 2X the price.

Will talk to my friend Roberto [with the Doi Saket Italian restaurant] and see if he will host it. Maybe others may want to compete or judge??

BTW....what's your roast?? med or dark??

"Let's do a taste off...?"

You're on Lingnoi!! Next roast in a week or so. This coffee is not [officially] graded, but 100% arabica and washed and roasted locally at CMU coffee co-op and @ half the price of Doi Chang and I haven't tasted a better coffee for 2X the price.

Will talk to my friend Roberto [with the Doi Saket Italian restaurant] and see if he will host it. Maybe others may want to compete or judge??

BTW....what's your roast?? med or dark??

Sounds good Jaideeguy. I'm always up for good cup and self-education! So much to learn about coffee.

The roast is medium. I get 100% Doi Chang; 70/30% Doi Chang/Import and some single origins. The single origins are expensive and just a bit of a palate hobby. A 5 kilo roaster is used and the total roast time is approx. 18 minutes at about 220 deg.

The roast date is never more than 3 days when I buy it.

ADVICE?

Let me admit with some chagrin that Starbucks' French Roast (beans) is my favorite when I am in the U.S.

So far.

Here in Chiang Mai, I've been buying Duang Dee, beans - their "bold." I like it, and it is cheap either at their retail store or Rimping.

1) But I'm open to advice and don't mind paying more??? Something more to my taste?

2) I've been using a conventional coffee maker - electric drip - and grinding more coarsely. Locals at eateries make express(o) and add hot water - and theirs is better than mine. For personal use here, those machines are quite expensive, however. Are they worth it? If so, where?

THANKS,

Try Coffeemaster. We pay 350 Baht/kilo which includes delivery anywhere in Thailand, can order 1-2 kg at a time no problem - whole bean or ground. Payment is just via ATM, transfer the money once you receive your coffee. They will send free samples too.

We have used use their Espresso roast Arabica for 6 years and customers love it. Some have had it delivered to their hotels in Bangkok so they can take it back home with them.

ADVICE?

Let me admit with some chagrin that Starbucks' French Roast (beans) is my favorite when I am in the U.S.

So far.

Here in Chiang Mai, I've been buying Duang Dee, beans - their "bold." I like it, and it is cheap either at their retail store or Rimping.

1) But I'm open to advice and don't mind paying more??? Something more to my taste?

2) I've been using a conventional coffee maker - electric drip - and grinding more coarsely. Locals at eateries make express(o) and add hot water - and theirs is better than mine. For personal use here, those machines are quite expensive, however. Are they worth it? If so, where?

THANKS,

Duang Dee is my staple coffee when I can't find any fresh roasted.

Roberto says 'No problemo!!' and is open to hosting the first Doi Saket coffee drink-off/tasting contest....whatever you wanna call it. Will talk more details and post on this forum. Meanwhile any other contestants?? Maybe next week??

I'm of the mind that a simple drip method with paper filters is the best way to test coffee....unless anyone has an espresso machine they would want to share. My espresso machine sprung a leak and is out of comission.

Roberto says 'No problemo!!' and is open to hosting the first Doi Saket coffee drink-off/tasting contest....whatever you wanna call it. Will talk more details and post on this forum. Meanwhile any other contestants?? Maybe next week??

I'm of the mind that a simple drip method with paper filters is the best way to test coffee....unless anyone has an espresso machine they would want to share. My espresso machine sprung a leak and is out of comission.

I am very much open to participating in the "roast off".

I believe, to the best of my knowledge, that professional coffee tasters take the roasted bean, grind it fine as in Turkish type coffee, add the raw grounds to the bottom of the cup, add the water at about 200 degree F and stir until there is a nice caramel brown foam floating on the top. Then, taking a spoon, quickly sip the coffee. This is, as I recall, the method shown on a coffee documentary in the USA.

It is also, having lived in Asia, particularly Indonesia, the way I drink coffee, with a bit of natural brown sugar. Thick, Rich Taste....just be careful of the grounds at the last sip. I like it strong and have had to peel a few poor souls off the ceiling from the caffeine rush.

Keep me posted on 'taste off".

I am very much open to participating in the "roast off".

I believe, to the best of my knowledge, that professional coffee tasters take the roasted bean, grind it fine as in Turkish type coffee, add the raw grounds to the bottom of the cup, add the water at about 200 degree F and stir until there is a nice caramel brown foam floating on the top. Then, taking a spoon, quickly sip the coffee. This is, as I recall, the method shown on a coffee documentary in the USA.

It is also, having lived in Asia, particularly Indonesia, the way I drink coffee, with a bit of natural brown sugar. Thick, Rich Taste....just be careful of the grounds at the last sip. I like it strong and have had to peel a few poor souls off the ceiling from the caffeine rush.

Keep me posted on 'taste off".

Coffee and wine tasting have many similarities. In fact the two industries are very similar. Tasting itself is an art. You need to be able to draw air through your mouth whilst tasting. This passes oxygen through the palate and sends the nuances through to the olfactory system faster and more effectively. Try not to choke whilst doing it.

There are things to look for - body, texture, length of flavour, acidity and other nuances. Palate fatigue kicks in after about 3 or 4 tastes for novices. Experienced tasters can handle many more and identify differences quite easily. It's all about working on the palate memory and being able to recognize certain properties.

Wine tasters spit.

Coffee tasters swallow.

B)

OK, the 'Doi Saket Coffee Challenge', 'D S Coffee Taste-off' or what ever we want to call it is on. I spoke with Roberto of the 'Locanda Italian restaurant' in DS and he has offered to host the event on Wednesday Aug 25 at his restaurant which is located across from the Amphor office on the road to Bo Sang.

We discussed how to judge the coffees competing and agreed that all coffees should be prepared the same....drip with paper filter would be easiest, as we have the equipment for that. It will be a 'blind test' with coffees labeled 'A,B,C,D....' . Judges to be volunteers. The time will be from 10:30am to 1:30pm.

If any challengers would like to enter the contest, please contact me by PM and any one wants to bea taster or judge......just be there at the above posted time for all the free coffee you can drink.

FYI, I have no financial iinterest in either the restaurant or the coffee mentioned in the OP.....just friends with both guys.

Sounds interesting. Not sure about the drip method for tasting but if that's what you have it will have to do.

JDG - my friend will be there for sure.

The amphur on Bosang road - is that 1006?

Cheers,

Lingnoi.

Your on the wrong road. Take the 118 or Chiang Rai/Doi Saket Highway out of Chiang Mai towards Chian Rai for approximately 20 Kilo. You will see signs that say Doi Saket at the junction go right into town ( and for some time you can not miss seeing the Wat Doi Saket on the hill in front of you) as go you go in you will see a BB bank on your right and on your left a 7-11 and Tesco a short ways up our only stop light, flashing most the time.. make a right hand turn this is 1007 or the Bosang Road. About 500 meters down is the Amphur on your left and the school on your right. Another couple hundred meters down on your right will be the resturant.

My main motivation is to [conveniently] get and distribute the 7kilos of coffee to insure a fresh supply. The coffee purists say that fresh coffee should be consumed within 2 weeks of roasting. My consumption [me, wife and occasional visitors] is almost a kilo a week. That sounds like a lot of coffee......we like it strong.

Anyway, it's the convenience factor that I would like to work on setting up. No problem if others would like to join in on the Doi Saket coffee co-op as long as I get my 'fix'. I have a friend with a restaurant in DS that may offer to be an outlet. Will check with him this next week....or any other ideas.

The main objectives being FRESH, CONVIENT [to DS] AND CHEAP.

Sounds interesting. Not sure about the drip method for tasting but if that's what you have it will have to do.

JDG - my friend will be there for sure.

The amphur on Bosang road - is that 1006?

Cheers,

Lingnoi.

Your on the wrong road. Take the 118 or Chiang Rai/Doi Saket Highway out of Chiang Mai towards Chian Rai for approximately 20 Kilo. You will see signs that say Doi Saket at the junction go right into town ( and for some time you can not miss seeing the Wat Doi Saket on the hill in front of you) as go you go in you will see a BB bank on your right and on your left a 7-11 and Tesco a short ways up our only stop light, flashing most the time.. make a right hand turn this is 1007 or the Bosang Road. About 500 meters down is the Amphur on your left and the school on your right. Another couple hundred meters down on your right will be the resturant.

Couldn't have given better directions getlost, thanks.

Lignoi.....do you have any other suggestions as to how to test?? If so, we're open, but it has to be consistantly ground, measured and brewed to be fair, right? A grinder will be available, so bring your beans whole/unground.

Lignoi.....do you have any other suggestions as to how to test?? If so, we're open, but it has to be consistantly ground, measured and brewed to be fair, right? A grinder will be available, so bring your beans whole/unground.

I agree - it's a good way to start if there is no espresso machine.

For future cuppings - and I hope we will be able to continue this exercise, we could perhaps use a machine and do two tastings per coffee. Some roasts will show well with drip or moka method and some will show better through the machine.