Vientianne

Eat dinner on the platforms built along the river...great fish.

Go see the spikey looking Buddhist monument which is printed on all the money....forget the name...taht luang?...although its not very impressive and when you go out to see it you will go past the arch that looks like the arche de triomphe if you don't really know what the arche de triomphe looks like....nice...

The day market near the bus depot...the usual....

The fountain as mentioned previously although it seems like its always off when I'm there....

Temples....lots of temples but nothing like in Luang Prabhang....the old city temple which is the first one you come to when you enter Vientienne from the bridge (I think its called Wat Muang or something like that....it was a temple before Buddhism came to those parts and behind the Buddha is the City Pillar which in prebuddhist time was said to contain the spirit of the city.

Lao bag coffee is great...the french bread can be good too. Beer Lao just won second place in a Russian contest and by all reports it is very good beer but I don't drink beer so I'm only repeating rumors.

I've been to Vientienne a few times and the last time I went with my wife I rented a motorcycle and took her around to all of this easily in one day...actually you can do it in half a day if you are one of those go getter tourists...I'm not too impressed with Vientienne...I've heard others say the same thing...hopefully someone out there has discovered something else and will post it so that the next time I end up there I'll have something new to do.

Oh! I almost forgot, I've heard rumors of interesting things to see maybe 10 to 20 kilometers out of town but I've never checked them out...can't even remember what they were supposed to be...somehow I was never inspired enough to stick around long enough to find out.

Edited by chownah