อย่าความพยายาม

farangnahrak

In which case, wouldn't it be a good idea to give us the context?? :rolleyes:

(isnt' 'don't try' อย่าพยายาม rather than อย่าความพยายาม? )

Edited by SoftWater

With or without the context it has to be guessed at; could it be misspelt? หย่า in the sense of ร้าง ก.ทอดทิ้งไว้, ไปจาก then you could guess at; 'withdrawing my efforts'

Isn't stop trying simply อย่าพยายาม? although those two words don't seem compatable to me.

Sorry SW it looks like I am commenting on your post but that is not the case; our posts crossed.

Edited by tgeezer

The most familiar one to me would be "อย่าละความพยายาม" or Don't give up.

Without ละ this phrase wouldn't make sense.

I can't see how it makes sense with or without ละ; The problem that the OP has is presumably with the word อย่า, which is grammatically; a word prefixing a verb forbidding or not allowing the action of that verb. In this case I am not sure that ความพยายาม which is said to be a noun or the story of a verb works in Thai as it does in English 'stop trying. Are you using ละ as a verb, roughly it means to omit or seperate doesn't it?

Without ละ this phrase wouldn't make sense.

Totally off-topic I know, but I always thought 'don't give up' was ไม่(เคย)ยอมแพ้

I also agree with tgeezer about the OP's question, that the problem is collocating a อย่า with a noun rather than a verb/action. That's why I think context would rather help us move along a bit with the inquiry, as it were. :)

oops yea, forgot the ละ! Thanks!

But I don't understand the grammar rule(s) behind this phrase . . . if I say อย่าละความกิน, does that mean 'don't eat'?

Totally off-topic I know, but I always thought 'don't give up' was ไม่(เคย)ยอมแพ้

That means "I've never given up" and/or "I refuse to lose".

But I don't understand the grammar rule(s) behind this phrase . . . if I say อย่าละความกิน, does that mean 'don't eat'?

อย่า = Don't

ละ = give up

ความ = verbal/abstract of following

กิน = eat

So อย่าละความกิน = 'Don't stop eating'.

ละ = give up

Oooohhhhh!

Is this a proper usage of the word?

'ผมละแล้ว', meaning 'I've given up already'

H ha, It depends on what properly means, grammatical, meaningful or understandable. I think we tend to go for understandable here, the sources are so diverse that if you can work out a meaning it has to be ok.

ละ on its own you can look up, it is described in part as ก. อาการที่แยกตัวให้พ้นจากสิ่งใดสิ่งหนึ่งซึ่งเกี่ยวข้องอยู่ V. situation which seperate body allow pass beyond from something which concerned in ( my English) depart, omit, seperate? depends on context. The other definition explains the grammatical use 'abbreviate' ie. ฯ ฯลฯ Then two words ละทิ้ง ก.ละด้วยวิธีทิ้ง ละ by method of discarding=throw away? ละลด ก. ละด้วยวิธีอย่อนคลายให้ and this looks like 'give in' 'submit'? depending on context.

Since we only worry about understandable and the poster says what he means when he says ละ then that is what he understands by it, he got it from a Thai at least one Thai will understand it, maybe all Thais but they have more background in the language and can work it out. I and maybe you have to rely on the dictionary or chat more.

Try this English example: bikes are introduced on the streets of London which those who tried them reported them to be 'heavy'. A subsequent discussion went like this:

A.There are bike racks 'going up' all over London.

B.Yes, I have one outside my house; very convenient.

C.Oh yes 'they are meant to be heavy arn't they'

A non English speaker would think that the bikes were 'designed' to be heavy, but C should have said 'they are said to be heavy'.

Maybe only UK English speakers will understand me here too.

Off topic-=-I was always told that Americans understood English (BE), even if they (we) didn't speak it. This is, I have learned, hopelessly optimistic. Americans (at least this one) neither understand nor speak (BE) English. The above is a perfect example. As a native English speaker I would also conclude that C was saying that the heaviness of the bike racks was purposefully designed to discourage theft. Meant meaning reported to be is news to me.

While this may be a littl more than slightly off topic (it’s never stopped me from posting before ;) ). ...

เสก โลโซ (Sek Loso) had a song on his previous album (which is NOT to be confused with his 'new' album entitled; Sek Plus; as opposed to what it should really be titled: Sek frickin' MINUS, and which has 4 new songs and the re-release of songs which are on album after album for the last 10 years!!!) :bah: .

Be that as it may :lol: . ..

This song is called อย่ายอมแพ้ โดยที่ยังไม่ต่อสู้. I always took the first words to mean; "Don't allow (youself) to lose". Then again, given my less than stellar understanding of this language :( , I could be way off base with the meaning..

FWIW: the song has a very good bass line, some harmonic guitar, and fairly meaningful lyrics, although it’s repetitively tedious in its chorus <_< .

That's probably why I like Sek so much. His songs remind me of my favorite band of all time; (no surprise here)the american rock band KISS :whistling:!!!

Both share endless repetition of their chorus(es) and infantile (yet easily understood :) ) lyrics.

Here's the song;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NbNqnffrTM

To "mikenyork": I can't understand BE for shit either and Scotch engrish :o is even harder!!

ยอมแพ้ is perhaps best translated as "to surrender."

The song title could be rendered as: "Don't surrender without a fight." (Don't give up without trying)

It's a pretty common term. Ex: you're having a discussion/debate with someone who keeps besting you with his/her rhetoric - or is merely obstinate - and finally you want to say "oh, I give up..." ยอมแพ้แล้ว

Edited by mangkorn

Off topic-=-I was always told that Americans understood English (BE), even if they (we) didn't speak it. This is, I have learned, hopelessly optimistic. Americans (at least this one) neither understand nor speak (BE) English. The above is a perfect example. As a native English speaker I would also conclude that C was saying that the heaviness of the bike racks was purposefully designed to discourage theft. Meant meaning reported to be is news to me.

Wouldn't you think then that if C. was shifting the conversation to one about theft it would need more than one word?

Maybe I should have put a ? after 'arn't they'

Does 'C's question really fit into the conversation?

Difficult to explain, I suppose you need to hear the conversation, 'meant' was the wrong word for me.

ยอมแพ้ is perhaps best translated as "to surrender."

The song title could be rendered as: "Don't surrender without a fight." (Don't give up without trying)

It's a pretty common term. Ex: you're having a discussion/debate with someone who keeps besting you with his/her rhetoric - or is merely obstinate - and finally you want to say "oh, I give up..." ยอมแพ้แล้ว

Thanx :) ,

I always took it to mean lose, instead of surrender, although in looking it up; you’re correct ยอมแพ้ does carry the meaning; (to) surrender.

I’ve heard the derogatory term ไอ้ขี้แพ้; usually just before a situation goes explosive <_< !! I’ve also heard แพ้แล้ว called out to whoever loses a round when the thais play those gambling games like 'hi-low' or 'gourd-crab-fish" .

I’ve never heard ยอมแพ้แล้ว, but can see it will come in handy.

Thanx again.

Obviously my tenuous grasp of thai is a ‘work in progress’, but every little bit helps :P !!

• 1 month later...

In which case, wouldn't it be a good idea to give us the context?? :rolleyes:

(isnt' 'don't try' อย่าพยายาม rather than อย่าความพยายาม? )

I presume that he got this "อย่าความพยายาม" from DVDs Thai subtitle which never make sense to me sometimes.

Some subtitles are good, some are bad.

I guess it is "Don't try" --- อย่า + ความพยายาม

Example of bad Thai subtitle :

Holy sh*t = the sh*t is holy (LMO)

Baby (sweetheart) = infant

Come on = come on top ohmy.gif

I don't give a sh*t = I will not give sh*t to you (hahahahaha)

Yes, you're right = Yes, your right hand side

I presume that he got this "อย่าความพยายาม" from DVDs Thai subtitle which never make sense to me sometimes.

Some subtitles are good, some are bad.

I guess it is "Don't try" --- อย่า + ความพยายาม

Example of bad Thai subtitle :

Holy sh*t = the sh*t is holy - อุจจาระศักดิ์สิทธิ์

Baby (sweetheart) = infant - ทารก

Come on = come on top - ขึ้นมาข้างบน

I don't give a sh*t = I will not give sh*t to you (hahahahaha) - ผมไม่ให้อุจจาระคุณ

I don't give a god dam_n sh*t = I don't give sh*t to god - ผมไม่ให้อุจจาระพระเจ้า

Yes, you're right = Yes, your right hand side - ใช่ ขวามือคุณ

ฺBullsh*t = sh*t of bull - อุจจาระกระบือ

There are a lot like this. I just can't stop laughing 5555555

What does the phrase 'อย่าความพยายาม' mean?

'don't try' in no way fit the context of the situation . . .

Wonder if the อย่า is a typo for อย่าง?

Looking on Google, the title of this video of a hamster persevering in its attempt to climb a mini ladder seems to have made the same mistake:

ตัวอย่าความพยายาม หนู hamster !

ดูความน่ารักของเจ้าหนุ hamster

ตกแล้วตกอีกก็ยังพยายามปืนจนสำเร็จ

Edited by katana