Tourists Pouring Into Samui

Tourists pouring into Samui

SURAT THANI (NNT) -- Tourists have been flocking into the paradise island of Samui in the southern province of Surat Thani during long holidays from 24 to 27 July 2010.

According to Director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Region 5, Phanu Woramit, both Thai and foreign tourists have been flooding into the island during this long holiday period of Asalha Puja and Buddhist Lent Days.

About 70-80% of the rooms on the island, notably around Chaweng Beach, one of the most famous beaches on the island, have already been reserved. Most of the occupiers are found to be foreign tourists, especially Europeans.

Meanwhile, Thai tourists prefer to stay at resorts and hotels on Mae Nam Beach and Bo Phut Beach.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-7-25 footer_n.gif

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

European tourists flooding into Samui for a Buddhist holiday, yeah right Europeans are know for traveling thousands of miles for Budhist holidays epecially when most of the entertainment is closed down. what a load of rubbish. not sure what good booked means but just checked last minutes deals 1 week starting tomorrow 140 hotels reduced rates for the whole week. so maybe not so good booked.

According to Director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Region 5, Phanu Woramit, both Thai and foreign tourists have been flooding into the island during this long holiday period of Asalha Puja and Buddhist Lent Days.

About 70-80% of the rooms on the island, notably around Chaweng Beach, one of the most famous beaches on the island, have already been reserved. Most of the occupiers are found to be foreign tourists, especially Europeans.

Edited by NALAK

Absolute crap...... Never trust anything any government official tells you. That's any country in the world. Lying through their gold filled teeth. Samui is deathly quiet.... Some hotels may be full (ish), but that's because of the incredible discounts. So the hotels are full of "cheap charlie"guests who buy their food and drink in Familly Mart. They don't go to the hotel restaurant or bar (where the money is to be made). They use the air con in their rooms and actually cost the hotel more than they make from these guests.

Tourists pouring into Samui. My arse!:angry:

Most of the tourists at the better hotel are typical average European families with children, European couples and groups from the Middle East and India and Thailand.

So, that kind of clients might book trips to Angthong and eat at touristic restaurants any style, but they certainly don't go to beer bars......

Less screaming... lol

Also Koh Phangan is pretty packed with tourists, but the reason is the Full Moon Party approaching e the (finally) end of the low season for the August European vacations

Absolute crap...... Never trust anything any government official tells you. That's any country in the world. Lying through their gold filled teeth. Samui is deathly quiet.... Some hotels may be full (ish), but that's because of the incredible discounts. So the hotels are full of "cheap charlie"guests who buy their food and drink in Familly Mart. They don't go to the hotel restaurant or bar (where the money is to be made). They use the air con in their rooms and actually cost the hotel more than they make from these guests.

Tourists pouring into Samui. My arse!:angry:

Exactly ! More misinformation from this little T.A.T. jerk, Phanu, sprouting more crap to justify his salary. ALL resorts (including ours) are running at 20% and down by half compared with last year

With all due respect Crusty, but you're spouting the same crap as Phanu, I know resorts which are full and/or well fuller than 20%. Not saying it's a glamorous situation but your statement may be true for your resort but not necessarily for others.

With all due respect Crusty, but you're spouting the same crap as Phanu, I know resorts which are full and/or well fuller than 20%. Not saying it's a glamorous situation but your statement may be true for your resort but not necessarily for others.

Maybe Crusty isn't giving ridiculous discounts ( to keep his occupancy stats up for his BKK boss: he doesn't have one!) so his occupancy rate is right.

Maybe Crusty isn't giving ridiculous discounts ( to keep his occupancy stats up for his BKK boss: he doesn't have one!) so his occupancy rate is right.

I wanted to ask if you're offering discounts....but I guess your occupancy rates are unaffected! :P

I wanted to ask if you're offering discounts....but I guess your occupancy rates are unaffected! :P

Smokie, get back in your room.:lol:

I have no problem with that but he claims that all resorts are at 20% occupancy, which is just not true.

I guess our " Stay five get one night free " could be seen as a discount. Don't be deceived by numbers on the beach, most of them now stay in a Baht 400 a day dosshouse up a side street ! :annoyed:

Its definetly picking up , not to hard after the very quiet June !

Tao is rammed right now almost full occupancy , rooms hard to find resturants very busy.

I spotted a noticable increase on Samui to when there recently.

Anyone who thinks not may I suggest you get out of your bar-tesco-home bubble.

Still I see seatran is helping to trap them all on Samui - only one boat per day till end of month.

Limbos nice pics loved the "shame it missed the jetskis" comment Made me smile!

Edited by stiggy

I think the bottom line is tourism is currently up. That is visible to see. But, the levels are nothing to write home about and what the TAT is saying is cobblers.

I think i'm agreeing about something with my old mate Crusty...:ermm::lol:

yeah. I'm doing my bit to get the tourists to part with their cash. At the moment, I'm offering "buy 2 ladies, get 1 free". It's working very well.:rolleyes:

yeah. I'm doing my bit to get the tourists to part with their cash. At the moment, I'm offering "buy 2 ladies, get 1 free". It's working very well.:rolleyes:

You are a true entrepeneur Mr Eagle :D

Swampy was busier than I have ever seen it last Thursday and Friday - foreign passport lines at immigration were all 30 minute queues at least, whereas I normally get through on average in 5 minutes and never more than 15.

This is the start of the European school (and therefore adult) holiday period of course. My UK inbound flight was 100% full (same flight has been 25 to 50% full since February)

Although I live here in Thailand my observations based on holidaying in the UK, France and Germany last month are that It's still a lot cheaper to holiday here for two weeks as a Brit than almost anywhere in the world (including holidaying at home in the UK). A non-fancy restaurant meal for 2 with beer or cheap wine is going to cost you 2000 baht and a 4 star hotel 6000 baht in Europe (double that for Paris/Koln/London), at least double to treble what you pay here.

Edited by SantiSuk

:huh: No thanks, I'm likely to get the one with big hands and a deep voice ! An easy test regards numbers is how long it takes you to drive out on to the ring road. At present it has never been easier, with almost no traffic !

• Like 2

What is Samui generally like in Sept/Oct/Nov?

End of October until Christmas is moonsun season on Samui.

September is OK.

November is the best time ....the height of the expat drinking season. ;)

Except for last year of course...if it happens again this year we'll all be bathing in the sea by Christmas! :D