Tourists Pouring Into Samui

well i guess my post saying 140 hotels are on the web offering cheap deals in Samui does not get read by those with rose tinted glasses. why are they giving massive discounts if they are occupied this week, all week. They maybe are not in the bars but the aint in the hotels either. all the hotels i checked were offering less than half price deals. there 100's of hotels on samui with empty rooms this week offering half price or less. this one at random has reduced its prices by £154 per night. a few are showing full for monday but most offering 50% or more. same all over Thailand.

http://www.laterooms.com/en/p1301/pv00005w/hotel-reservations/177162_the-passage-resort-spa-koh-samui-island.aspx

Edited by NALAK

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know about Tourists pouring into samui it seems more or less rain pouring on tourists in samui. I have to mention though unless crusty is making contacts with all hotels my hotel is running 60% occupancy and another hotel that I talk with that is in chaweng is full ( don't laugh it may be hard to believe but the reason for being full is basically discounted rates, basic room starts at 100 USD a night plus at the moment they have lots of australian tourists at the moment. ) I even know a 5 star hotel that at the moment is running 45% occupancy so 20% is not a accurate picture

If tourists are pouring into Samui, they must be getting straight onto the ferries to the other Islands cos they aint in Bangrak and my trip to chaweng tells me it's quiet there too.

Quire right! I doersn't matter how many hotels say they're full ( well they would, wouldn't they?) it's very, very quiet here!!!!!:annoyed:

maybe many tourists don't frequent bars so often like in the winter season. There are many sunny places nearer for European party people than Thailand. Here are lots of European families and straight European couples and Asian tourists.

maybe many tourists don't frequent bars so often like in the winter season. There are many sunny places nearer for European party people than Thailand. Here are lots of European families and straight European couples and Asian tourists.

Where exactly are they all? They're not on the beach in Bophut, Cheong Mon or Bagrak. They're not in the bars or restaurants. There are quite a few "walkers" in the Fishermans Village but they seem to have an aversion to spending anything.

At the end of the day, it's the quietest July i can remember in my seven years on the island and this is reflected in my business levels.

Where exactly are they all? They're not on the beach in Bophut, Cheong Mon or Bagrak. They're not in the bars or restaurants. There are quite a few "walkers" in the Fishermans Village but they seem to have an aversion to spending anything.

At the end of the day, it's the quietest July i can remember in my seven years on the island and this is reflected in my business levels.

Agreed. It's the quietest since I've had my bar for 6 years!!!

June and up to mid July was catastrophic, but last week business took up considerably. Many european families with small children + young couples. They may not be spending as much and are hunting for bargains, but who wants to blame them with the strong baht.

Also loads of thai and malaysian touristst (and or other chinese speaking) this weekend in the Bang Po/Nathon/Hua Thanon area, don't know where they're sleeping, but usually not in Chaweng.

For UK tourists the pound has strengthened or should I say the Euro has collapsed making European destinations more attractive...eastern Europe too is becoming more popular especially Bulgaria....Turkey and Cyprus and no 12 hour flight then Bangkok Airways......and on and on.....its simply too expensive for most people on Samui now.....

Absolute crap...... Never trust anything any government official tells you. That's any country in the world. Lying through their gold filled teeth. Samui is deathly quiet.... Some hotels may be full (ish), but that's because of the incredible discounts. So the hotels are full of "cheap charlie"guests who buy their food and drink in Familly Mart. They don't go to the hotel restaurant or bar (where the money is to be made).

maybe because they are not willing to pay six times the regular price for a simple Thai meal at those "Hotel-restaurants", where however the restaurant-staff surprisingly does not get paid six times the regular salary...

smart travelers they are ! ;)

Edited by siam2007

you can look at the hotel bookings or the flight arrivals or whatever other stats you want but a simple walk/drive around confirms that samui is dead - it's not rocket science.

most on this thread realise that. anyone who says otherwise is simply in denial.

reasons:

1. bkk air fares

2. weak farang currency

3. recent bangkok riots

4. more practical/economical alternatives

5. more fun alternatives

6. taxi mafia

7. low season

8. depressing quiet bars/restaurants

etc etc

samui will always mean something to me as it was the first place in thailand I really loved but it just doesn't seem to have the buzz it used to have.

Have no idea about the stats,but Samui(to me)does feel more lively,more people around,particularly in FV.Ban Rak dead as usual.How about Chaweng?Is the nightlife busier? Does this mean bangkok air are getting away with these high airfares?

Edited by samuibeachcomber

Have no idea about the stats,but Samui(to me)does feel more lively,more people around,particularly in FV.Ban Rak dead as usual.How about Chaweng?Is the nightlife busier? Does this mean bangkok air are getting away with these high airfares?

OK. Forget the stats. Ignore them. Put your head in the sand. SAMUI IS DEAD. What don't you undetrstand?:blink:

Just spent a week in Chaweng. Budget hotels seemed to have a few guests. Didnt see hardly any families and considering its school holidays that is strange..maybe something to do with the cost for a family of 5 return to BKK adds another $1,600 to the trip. Lots of young East Europeans/Russians and we all know how much money they got to spend. Empty taxis, restaurants, supermarkets and bars. Lamai and Banrak especially quite. Even that new 109baht BBQ by the lake was empty most nights and as for Soi Reggae, 200 girls and maybe 3 customers. Walked in a bar at 11.45pm and were told we were the first customers allday.....probably the last as well. Hua Hin is very quite also and have been told by Friends Phuket is empty so its not only Samui. Riots on the streets with 100 dead, yeah am sure families will want to come. 9,000 Baht return flight, yeah the sexpests will love thatt and no real cheap accomodation anymore so the backpackers will go elsewhere.

Just what is the market Samui hopes to target?

For once I agree with Carmine. I can add to the list the poor environment, few nice beaches, insufficient infrastructures, etc.

On the other side June and July always are the worst months in the year for tourists flow, so every year at this time business tenants start to complain.

Tourist start to come after the first week of August. After that you will listen complaining anymore. :rolleyes:

For once I agree with Carmine. I can add to the list the poor environment, few nice beaches, insufficient infrastructures, etc.

On the other side June and July always are the worst months in the year for tourists flow, so every year at this time business tenants start to complain.

Tourist start to come after the first week of August. After that you will listen complaining anymore. :rolleyes:

"For once i agree with Carmine" :ermm::o

• Like 1

Just spent a week in Chaweng. Budget hotels seemed to have a few guests. Didnt see hardly any families and considering its school holidays that is strange..maybe something to do with the cost for a family of 5 return to BKK adds another $1,600 to the trip. Lots of young East Europeans/Russians and we all know how much money they got to spend. Empty taxis, restaurants, supermarkets and bars. Lamai and Banrak especially quite. Even that new 109baht BBQ by the lake was empty most nights and as for Soi Reggae, 200 girls and maybe 3 customers. Walked in a bar at 11.45pm and were told we were the first customers allday.....probably the last as well. Hua Hin is very quite also and have been told by Friends Phuket is empty so its not only Samui. Riots on the streets with 100 dead, yeah am sure families will want to come. 9,000 Baht return flight, yeah the sexpests will love thatt and no real cheap accomodation anymore so the backpackers will go elsewhere.

ESB7, that's not exactly how it works, for your average punter the added costs aren't $1.600,-(Australian I assume?) but a lot less since travel agents get bulk rates, so a roundtrip ticket Ozzie land or Europe with a BKK-Samui costs a lot less than the price you quote.

Not saying that BA prices are way too expensive.

What interests me is how long it will take before the penny drops with the Thais and they realise Samui has basically had its day, unless things are done to help the island. Bangkok Airways prices, taxis with no meters, litter strewn everywhere, no proper policing, one rip off after another etc etc

Samui could get away with it three of four years ago but now the competition is growing and we have become a very expensive option with little or nothing extra to offer.

I suppose when the penny does drop the remedy will be to put the prices up. :annoyed:

Well said Carmine. I absolutely agree!

Is this the "TV Everyones agreeing with Carmine day"........i'm not used to this, it's starting to freak me out!!!!!!:blink::D

Maybe it's time for a controversial post.....wheres Rooo :lol:

Edited by carmine

What interests me is how long it will take before the penny drops with the Thais and they realise Samui has basically had its day, unless things are done to help the island. Bangkok Airways prices, taxis with no meters, litter strewn everywhere, no proper policing, one rip off after another etc etc

Samui could get away with it three of four years ago but now the competition is growing and we have become a very expensive option with little or nothing extra to offer.

I suppose when the penny does drop the remedy will be to put the prices up. :annoyed:

Fully agree carmine, when WILL they pull their heads out of their arr.ses. :rolleyes:

Such an accurate post I felt obliged to give you one......where is the abuse and insults?......must be on yer last warning I guess.....:lol:

Also agree, and pressed the little "+" button left down on post.

• Like 1

Also agree, and pressed the little "+" button left down on post.

Agreed!!! And I think it will not happen in our life time. (The dropping penny I mean) :wacko:

Edited by frankman

ESB7, that's not exactly how it works, for your average punter the added costs aren't $1.600,-(Australian I assume?) but a lot less since travel agents get bulk rates, so a roundtrip ticket Ozzie land or Europe with a BKK-Samui costs a lot less than the price you quote.

Not saying that BA prices are way too expensive.

Its still an added cost that would be more than on a package deal to Phuket or Chiang Mai....you may be suprised the amount of middle aged people that were backpacking students 20 years ago still prefer to travel independantly from a package/travel agent deal so would then need to pay the 9,000 odd Baht return by booking on the internet themselves. Anyway, lets not start on a Bangkok Air as there is another thread covering this. I think Samui really needs to rethink where they are going and decide on which market they wish to attract to the Island, then results could be very rewarding for all although it may cause turmoil and business closing for a few years, its all worth it for a brighter prosperous future.

We don't use travelagents and had to pay 320 euro's for 2 persons to get from bangkok to Samui.

Luckely we had a great deal from europe to bangkok but otherwise we would not have gone to Samui.

Looks like Samui is being used to load cash by BangkokAir. I think it's absurd that the prices are so high.

They should not fligh that much on a day if the planes are not full.

bkk airs USM fares (or should they be called 'not fairs'?) cannot be justified by using the 'it's included in the package holiday' card. there's loads of holidaymakers/tourists that aren't on a package holiday.

I - and EVERYONE I know who holidays in thailand - only buy a flight to BKK then take it from there.

I've spent many a day on my laptop in BKK tutting at bkk air USM prices before booking a flight to HKT/KBV/CNX for a fraction of the price.

bkk airs USM fares (or should they be called 'not fairs'?) cannot be justified by using the 'it's included in the package holiday' card. there's loads of holidaymakers/tourists that aren't on a package holiday.

I - and EVERYONE I know who holidays in thailand - only buy a flight to BKK then take it from there.

I've spent many a day on my laptop in BKK tutting at bkk air USM prices before booking a flight to HKT/KBV/CNX for a fraction of the price.

game4shame,

Having worked in the tourism industry on Samui for the last 11 years, I know plenty of people who have package deals to Samui, all inclusive from European airport straight into Samui airport. Shame on those people, disregarding your personal knowledge in such rude way. Horrible these tourists nowadays.

game4shame,

Having worked in the tourism industry on Samui for the last 11 years, I know plenty of people who have package deals to Samui, all inclusive from European airport straight into Samui airport. Shame on those people, disregarding your personal knowledge in such rude way. Horrible these tourists nowadays.

disregarding my personal knowledge? I believe you are not a native english speaker limbos so I'll put your puzzling reply down to that.

you know plenty of people on package holidays? well, maybe you do - I know plenty of people NOT on package holidays. when I say plenty I mean all friends and the majority of people I meet.

Im not saying that there's not package tourists - of course there is (although I question just how benificial an all inclusive family is to the samui economy) but that shouldnt be used to justify bkk airs USM prices.