Marrying A Thai Lady

oggie911

:Thaiflag:-_- i want to marry a thai girl i know 3 years she is 38 works in a office but i am on disabilty and 47 from ireland i dont have much money but back home in ireland after staying in her home for the last 6 months,but also want to try get a visa for her to stay in ireland and my mother said she would vouch for her as she has money in the bank,any information you can give would be welcome thank you in advanced,ps want to do real wedding not buddha can do that later,:wai: :jap:

One thing to add: The irish consulate in bangkok and indeed the irish nationalisation and immigration service are incompetent beyond belief. To get married you will need an affidavit from them. This will take 5 weeks. When it comes to applying for a tourist visa it takes 6 weeks. As an example applying for a german tourist visa takes 5 days and an Aussie took us 4 days. Absolute disgrace and im irish (ashamed).

well i am on disabilty but its just a leg infection no problem walking driving thats why i stayed in her home to see how thing get on, a few bad words but more or less every thing is fine, but know all her family and they seem ok with me,her mother said she dont want money off me to marry her

well i am on disabilty but its just a leg infection no problem walking driving thats why i stayed in her home to see how thing get on, a few bad words but more or less every thing is fine, but know all her family and they seem ok with me,her mother said she dont want money off me to marry her

Another farang/Thai disaster on the horizon.

Give it a chance.... jap.gif

of course...good luck mate..

nice to see the usual positive posters are awake ..bars are closed maybe..

..sure life's a challenge but the sky doesn't necessarily fall on every Thai/Farang marriage..

well, for the 'real' wedding, I assume you mean the one that's legally binding? At the Amphur?

You'll need a 'freedom to marry' document from your embassy in Thailand, which then needs to be translated into Thai, and stamped as 'approved' by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Once you have all the paperwork done then you can go to any Amphur and get married. You might find the process a little 'administrative' in that it's visiting a number of government offices and doesn't really have the same kind of 'marriage ceremony' vibe that you might think it does.

You may want to combine the two processes in one day, that is, once the paperwork is all ready, you can do the Amphur part and then have the monks round the house and have the big piss up :)

As for the visa for your partner to go to Ireland, you'll need to search the forums for more information on that, but I believe it can be a fairly long-winded procedure.

Good luck with it all.

Biff

Some good replies from people and some unhelpful ones which you would expect with this question.

You do not say what part of Ireland you come from, by writing only Ireland I take it you are from Eire.

I am not going to tell you what you should do that is your decision alone.

Still that aside, what I did was get my Thai ladyfriend at the time to go to the U.K. Embassy in my case.

I certainly did not entertain the idea of marriage at first, she applied for a holiday visit visa first.

If you are near the Embassy in question Ok! but if not, telephone them first and asked what paperwork is required, usally a lot.

Every Country has different requirements.

After acquiring a vehicle which you will need for the paperwork, "sorry just my little joke" .

When she has fill out the forms they provide and she has presented all the paperwork that is necessary, it's then down to waiting.

How long that is depends on the Embassy.

To cut a long story short I have been married to my Thai wife nearly ten years, a few regrets sometimes but I would do it all over again.

Edited by Kwasaki

On avg 50% of all farang/farang marriages fail - about the same for farang/Thai. 40 years ago I was told what a mistake it would be, now I am asked why I didn't marry a younger Thai - well she was a lot younger back when we got married. :lol: Good luck

i seen a few distasers my self and a few good ones well i can only try see has her own money never asked since i met her so mabey might be lucky can only try,also i am in dublin might try for a hoilday visa for her first see if she likes ireland and the nice cold weather 1st thank you all but i can only try as i said good luck to all who awnsered my call for help :rolleyes:

I have known my Thai wife for 17 years and we have been married for 10 of them.

It works for me and a lot of other happily married TV posters.

However as usual the doomsayers are out in force.

Take a chance while you can.

It will either work or not and the best of luck to you as well.

Like it or belive it not, most of the Ladies !!! who marry Farangs have come from or have worked in Bars Clubs ect. would you Marry a Girl from the red light District in you on Country ? think about it I have lived in Thailand fo 22 years + many Holidays before that I must have known at least one hundred guys that have tried the bar girl marrige, at least 90% have lost it all House,Car, Cash, above all there sanity. A good guidline is if thet jump in to your bed in lets say less than six months alarm bells must ring, No I dont hate Thai woman or desant Thai Men, i have been married to my Thai wife for 21 years we have a 17 year old Daughter, I have been here a long time and seen to many Nightmares. Jjust dont jump in to quick, if your girl friend works in an office she will not nead your Mums cash to get her Visa, all she has to do is show a letter from her Boss and her Bank statments that is about all it takes, Good Luck ( Just to end, in your own Country do you have give your Girlfriend Wages ? ) Try not giving any here see how long they stay The Truth Hurts

One thing to add: The irish consulate in bangkok and indeed the irish nationalisation and immigration service are incompetent beyond belief. To get married you will need an affidavit from them. This will take 5 weeks. When it comes to applying for a tourist visa it takes 6 weeks. As an example applying for a german tourist visa takes 5 days and an Aussie took us 4 days. Absolute disgrace and im irish (ashamed).

That is lucky, it gives you time to think about i,t you know what they say Love or Lust is Blind.

she works for herself her office employs 20 staff so she would have her own cash never tought of that i tought some one in ireland would have to sponser her, and she not want money off me if she goes to ireland as her sister run the company when she is away and she can use her credit card. she asked me over to thailand to stay in her home for the 6 months,but i owe her about 50,000 baht as my credit card got stolen or i lost it,i told her ill pay her back but said there is no hurry, was in thailand many times in the start i was with bar girls they only want money ,ma,ma sick,baby sick feel for all that crap b4,but this not the same she buys stuff for me,:blink:

Edited by oggie911

Lucky Larry: I have been married to my Thai wife for 21 years we have a 17 year old Daughter.

If you have more than one wife, then I can see why you would use a modifier to distinguish your wife. But why call her a Thai wife if you only have one? Is she somewhat lesser than a normal wife? Unless you are using the stereotypical connotation of "Thai Wife" that you mention later in your post.

"Like it or believe it not, most of the Ladies !!! who marry Farangs have come from or have worked in Bars Clubs ect."

Also why does every guy that has been married to a Thai national who is from a good background, think that everyone besides himself is married to a Bar Girl?

Sounds like another pompous statement of "I am better than everyone else. "

I will agree that it seems that many foreigners in Thailand marry women from more rural and economically poor backgrounds, but the other statement is just plain stereotyping and ignorant.

OP.

Good luck.

You will without a doubt have a long road to climb to go through all of the paperwork and things. It will either bring both of you much closer and stronger or it will divide you. That is life though and happens to any marriage or relationship no matter the ethnic or cultural backgrounds.

The only thing that I would worry about is her adjustment and feeling of alienation that she might experience in your home country. I hope that her skills as an office worker can be fully utilized in your country. Many times having a good job and feeling accomplished keep equality in the relationship. You might want to think about staying in Thailand if she cannot find good work in your country.

Good luck again.

• Like 1