Vanessa - Mae To Represent Thailand At 2014 Winter Olympics

Vanessa-Mae to represent Thailand at 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi

Famous violinist Vanessa-Mae plans to represent Thailand in downhill skiing at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, Thailand's Bangkok Post reported on Monday.

The techno-acoustic fusion violinist, who resides in Britain, asked the Thai Olympic Committee to include her in the national team in the Olympics ski events. The committee has given the green light for Vanessa, the newspaper reported.

Vanessa-Mae is a British citizen, but has the right to Thai citizenship because her father, Vorapong Vanakorn, is a national of that country.

The newspaper reported she currently has a Thai passport.

Vanessa-Mae wanted to represent Thailand in ski events at the 2002 Winter Olympics, but her dream of becoming a professional international skier did not materialize. Thai authorities at that time requested that she give up her UK passport in exchange for a Thai passport. Later bureaucratic barriers were overcome and Vanessa-Mae received her Thai passport on an exceptional basis and retained her British one as well.

There is still one barrier for her in order to participate in the Olympics. Her participation will not be set in stone until she is approved by the International Ski Federation, the newspaper reported.

In 2006, Vanessa-Mae was named the richest young artist under the age of 30 in Britain with an estimated wealth of over $64 million from record sales and concerts.

BANGKOK, July 26 (RIA Novosti)

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20100726/159953221.html

=============================================================================================================================================

Vanessa-Mae:

vanessamae50508.jpg

*Disclaimer: I don't believe they will allow her to use wings whilst skiing in the Olympics.*

Nothing mentioned of her skiing accolades. Has she ever done it?

Is that needed...remember Eddie the eagle

actually she has skiied all her life....but I do not know how well. If that is a fraction as well as she plays (and looks) it is very well.

Edited by harrry

Beautiful girl - I used to be a fan until I saw her interviewed on TV. She opened her mouth and aaaaggghhhh! That god awful rough as guts English accent. Her accent could strip graffiti off a brick wall. She sounds like Katie Price.

• 2 weeks later...

She was the first Oriental girl I ever considered a beauty when I was around 14 or 15. Then I came to Thailand and saw a few more.

She eventually had a long-term boyfriend and moved to a jet-setting life with him - an Austrian or Swiss aristocrat, late 30s I believe. That's how she swapped her violin for skis.