Renew Non Imm B In Bangkok?

Hello Everyone and happy holiday,

Is there a way to renew / re-issue a Non Immigrant B visa IN BANGKOK -- WITHOUT leaving Thailand???

Here's my story... I am a USA citizen teaching at a "famous" Thai high school in central Bangkok. In May, I got a Single Entry Non Immigrant B visa at the Thai consulate in Los Angeles. (Yes, I asked for a multiple entry visa, but at the LA consulate, they said the Thai law has recently changed and they only issue Single Entry Non Imm B visas for schools where minors are taught - new Thai immigration law - how convenient...)

I left USA on May 15, arrived in BKK on May 16th and expected to start teaching on May 17th... With the Red Shirt crisis, school started 2 weeks late on May 31st...

Since May 31, I have worked dutifully for this school (along with other Farang English teachers waiting for the School administrators to help finalize our work permit -- yes, the school administrators dragged their feet due to their confusion and disorganization... Yes, a "typical" Thai situation, I know...

On July 8th, I had to leave Thailand to go back to the USA for family emergency... So in leaving Thailand, I USED my Single Entry Non Immigrant B visa... I informed my employer that I would likely be out of Thailand for a few days... Luckily, the family emergency has stabilized...

I returned to Thailand on July 12th and entered on a TOURIST visa... Last Friday, I tried to apply for Work Permit -- at Ministry of Labor -- and they said "no can do" because Non Immigrant B Visa has been used and I am on a tourist visa now...

Talked with Immigration and they said I had to leave Thailand and apply for a new Non Immigrant B Visa...

My question is: "Is there a way to renew / re-issue a Non Imm B in Bangkok -- WITHOUT leaving Thailand???"

I am on a small salary at my current school and cannot afford to fly to Laos or Cambodia or wherever to get this paperwork done... To me, it seems like this paperwork could be done in Bangkok... The school says they will arrange for the proper paperwork... (The Thai admin at the school are slow but they can see the urgency in my situation -- And, other Farang teachers at this same school have other similar but unrelated visa problems -- mostly due to the school's slowness, inefficiency and ignorance in changes in Thai immigration and labor law...)

Any suggestions from anyone knowledgeable about this kind of situation? (I will be asking a Thai friend to call Immigration tomorrow when their offices re-open after the long weekend.)

If I do have to leave the country, where do people suggest as being most economical and efficient???

All the best and many, many thanks for any help...

dseawarrior

:jap:

1. You should have obtained a re-entry permit for your travel to keep your non immigrant B entry alive.

2. A work permit can not be issued on a tourist visa. You must have a non immigrant visa entry.

So the normal drill now would be a quick trip to obtain the required visa entry and this can be done by bus/train or domestic air to Udon to save some money. I do not believe immigration will make conversion for teachers but nothing lost is asking as you plan, but it sounds like they already told you no.

All places are likely to require an overnight (apply morning and pick up next afternoon). I believe Vientiane is your best choice (as several recent reports from Cambodia report delays/problems) so a Sunday trip by train or bus would get you there for Monday and Tuesday afternoon you could be headed back. Also available would be discount flights to Udon which is only about an hour drive away.

"A work permit can not be issued on a tourist visa. You must have a non immigrant visa entry."

"So the normal drill now would be a quick trip to obtain the required visa entry..."

The required visa should be a Non B, correct? If so, won't the embassy/consulate require a WP3 before they'll give him one?

True, a WP won't be issued on a tourist visa, but it can be applied for, giving him the WP3 he'll need in Laos.

I'm thinking he's not even on a tourist visa, but rather a visa exempt entry.

He says the work permit has been applied for so a receipt should be available. But do not believe it is normally required for teachers in any case if they have school paperwork for the visa application. In this case a non immigrant B visa would be what he wants but work permit could be issued on others if conditions warrant.

He says the work permit has been applied for so a receipt should be available. But do not believe it is normally required for teachers in any case if they have school paperwork for the visa application. In this case a non immigrant B visa would be what he wants but work permit could be issued on others if conditions warrant.

Thanks for the responses...

Lopburi3 is on target for both responses... Yes, I should have applied for a RE-ENTRY permit before I left -- but I was SUPER busy at the time and did not have the time to think of it... Worth it -- only 1,000 Baht...

Here's how I figured it out... The Immigration Dept actually has a 24 hour call in service that is very helpful... Got my GF on the line and we got a good service rep who knew what to do... They even answer the line on Thai holidays -- AMAZING!

USE form DTAW MAW 86 at Immigration to CONVERT your Tourist visa to a Non-Immigrant B Visa... My used Non-Immigrant B Visa was still "fresh" in that I bought it in May in Los Angeles at the Thai Consulate there... I had the receipt for the same item, too.

So, filled out the form at Immigration, provided supporting documents, new picture and 2,000 Baht to make the conversion... Now have a Non-Immigrant B Visa that is good until October...

Already been to Labor Ministry last week... OK with Work Permit now. Will be issued later this week...

Thanks for all the help...

Cheers,

:jap: