Trawler Sinks Off Phuket After Collision With Barge

webfact

Trawler sinks off Phuket after collision with barge

phuket-1-ArmOjSs.jpg

Fishing vessel 'Sri Thong Prae 7' and her swamped sister vessel 'Sri Thong Prae 4'.

PHUKET: -- In the latest marine mishap off Phuket, a crew of 12 fishermen were saved by another fishing boat after their trawler slammed into a sand barge off Wichit last night.

Pol Sub-Lt of the Phuket Marine Police received a report of the accident at 7am.

The 10-meter trawler Sri Thong Prae 4 from Ranong was cruising about 2 kilometers from Koh Tapao Noi when its port bow slammed into the anchored sand barge Kantang Lamliang 6 at about midnight, he said.

The crew of its companion vessel, Sri Thong Prae 7, came to assist as the wooden trawler began taking on water.

All 12 crew were rescued from the wooden vessel, but efforts to salvage the swamped trawler have proven fruitless.

At last report the vessel was completely swamped, with only a small section above the waterline.

Sub-Lt Jeerayuth told the captains of both vessels to file reports at the Phuket City Police Station so that an investigation into who was responsible can begin.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-07-27

Doesn't Thailand adhere to international maritime law. It would seem not. An anchored vessel should display a white light on a mast. But I'm sure the trawlers don't display running lights either... Was there no one on watch. It looks like the trawler in the photo has radar, what good is it if you don't use it?

Edited by Jimi007

Doesn't Thailand adhere to international maritime law. It would seem not. An anchored vessel should display a white light on a mast. But I'm sure the trawlers don't display running lights either... Was there no one on watch. It looks like the trawler in the photo has radar, what good is it if you don't use it?

That will be another 'uncharted' hazard to bear in mind..? :o Most fishing boats do have running lights, but I expect the anchored barge was unlit. The owners should be liable..?

Edited by paulbrun

That will be another 'uncharted' hazard to bear in mind..? :o Most fishing boats do have running lights, but I expect the anchored barge was unlit. The owners should be liable..?

Liability is always an interesting topic in Thailand. It's right up there with defamation. unsure.gif It's been pretty nasty weather the past couple of days, especially yesterday afternoon. Full moon, but cloudy. But I suspect you are correct in the barge being unlit. A wood hull against a steel barge full of sand, wouldn't have much of a chance. But again, it would surely show up on radar with an active watch, I would think...