Learning Languages Other Than Thai

eek

I can somewhat speak Spanish (well actually Argentine castellano), have very very rusty knowledge of French, and truly terrible German.

I would like to find a place to work on these languages. Spanish being the priority, followed by French. Think ill give up the ghost on German!

Anyone know where offers this?

Thank you.

You could try cmu language institure if you can speak some thai. They were willing to let me in a chinese class but it did not have the numbers. They teach all of those languages for Thais.

Afordible too.

Hmm...Harry..thats a thought. Might kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. Practicing my Thai and learning a new language. I'll talk to them to see if its possible. Thanks.

Eek - I have a short Linguaphone course called Fast Lane German, which my daughter left here three years ago.

It's 4 x 60 minute cassettes I'm afraid and a 64 page tuition guide. It's never been used (I think), she doesn't want it and it's just gathering dust.

If it is of help to you to get started/motivated again, you are more than welcome to it - no charge, you just have to pick it up.

Might be hard to find a cassette recorder these days lol.

You old try the Ecole D'Francais Extreame Orient (I think its called) in Charoen Prathet (between Sacred Heart/Regina schools and the back of Ansawan Market/Guitarman) - its a French school, so teachers probably moonlight for languages. I know ESL (SEETEFL) language school had a French/Italian teacher back about 6 months ago, not sure if she's still there - I think they are sponsors - on Gaew Narawat Road opposite Priness Royal College.

Just had a thought. I know an older Spanish guy here (60's) - lives with his Spanish son a few doors down.He speaks only Spanish (his son speaks English too). He wants to learn English, so you could possibly teach each other and save some bucks. I can probably put you in touch if you are interested - he's a nice guy - lives a few doors down from me.

Edited by wolf5370

When it comes to learning Spanish, Dora the Explorer is on UBC channel 33 a lot.

Other than that you're probably looking at getting some good course material from the US; a lot of it can be ordered on Amazon. Then practise on Spanish speaking people around town..

Hi Wolf5370, I'd love to get in touch with those Spanish guys if they are interested, I'm Spanish also and I haven't met any Spanish people in Chiang Mai yet so it would be great to meet others. Appreciated.

Carlos

You old try the Ecole D'Francais Extreame Orient (I think its called) in Charoen Prathet (between Sacred Heart/Regina schools and the back of Ansawan Market/Guitarman) - its a French school, so teachers probably moonlight for languages. I know ESL (SEETEFL) language school had a French/Italian teacher back about 6 months ago, not sure if she's still there - I think they are sponsors - on Gaew Narawat Road opposite Priness Royal College.

Just had a thought. I know an older Spanish guy here (60's) - lives with his Spanish son a few doors down.He speaks only Spanish (his son speaks English too). He wants to learn English, so you could possibly teach each other and save some bucks. I can probably put you in touch if you are interested - he's a nice guy - lives a few doors down from me.

My apologies in advance, if this is a little off topic - but I am curious to learn if any one else experiences the same.

A short while ago, I had a discussion with an instructor, from an English teacher training school, regarding how my learned Thai Language (Nearly Intermediate) superimposes itself over previous learnt languages.

Something that he referred to as 'L!/L2/L3/L4 Interference'. I cannot claim to fully understand the syndrome - only the concept..

In my case, it goes something like this - English is my mother tongue - L1

Due to living in France and later working for a Canadian bi-lingual company - French became my L2

Through circumstance, I also lived in Cyprus, was motivated to learn Greek - and Greek became my - L3

At this time, I was a lot younger, and had no problem skipping between the three.

Since coming to Thailand, I have through both interest and nesessity, managed to approach an intermediate level in spoken Thai.

I now still have no problem with English - L1 (although I seem to be forgetting some words).

But Thai has become my L2 and interferres with French, now L3 and Greek, now L4.

Should the ocassion happen that I try to speak these languages - Thai superimposes itself.

Has anyone else experienced the same?

My apologies in advance, if this is a little off topic - but I am curious to learn if any one else experiences the same.

A short while ago, I had a discussion with an instructor, from an English teacher training school, regarding how my learned Thai Language (Nearly Intermediate) superimposes itself over previous learnt languages.

Something that he referred to as 'L!/L2/L3/L4 Interference'. I cannot claim to fully understand the syndrome - only the concept..

Due to living in France and later working for a Canadian bi-lingual company - French became my L2

Through circumstance, I also lived in Cyprus, was motivated to learn Greek - and Greek became my - L3

At this time, I was a lot younger, and had no problem skipping between the three.

Since coming to Thailand, I have through both interest and nesessity, managed to approach an intermediate level in spoken Thai.

I now still have no problem with English - L1 (although I seem to be forgetting some words).

But Thai has become my L2 and interferres with French, now L3 and Greek, now L4.

Should the ocassion happen that I try to speak these languages - Thai superimposes itself.

My Aunt married an Italian man (many moons ago) - before that she had studied Spanish to a high degree and was somewhat fluent. She found that she had to loose the Spanish as it intereferd with her learning Italian (and the learned Italian played havoc with her Spanish she hardly used any more). Having said that, her daiughter is an international interpreter and speaks some 11 languages, 7 fluently, so I guess some people cna hold these languages in a pure way and others can't. May be there is a technique.

Hi Wolf5370, I'd love to get in touch with those Spanish guys if they are interested, I'm Spanish also and I haven't met any Spanish people in Chiang Mai yet so it would be great to meet others. Appreciated.

Carlos

Hi Carlos, if you PM me a contact number I'll pass it along (don't post it, PM it). I'm sure they will be happy to have someone to talk to from home (my parents live in Spain - have both a perminant home and a mountain retreat there - and have done for more than a decade now (on their second home) - they live near the salt lakes in Torrevieja).

I've known quite a few people who speak three or four languages and move seamlessly between them. Perhaps aging has a deleterious effect, but I suspect that with proper exercise and diet, this effect can be lessened. I've also noticed this 'interference' effect and what happens is that the language one is surrounded by ends up dominating. It doesn't mean you'll forget your French/Greek. I'm sure if you were suddenly parachuted into France, it all come back in a jiffy.

Yes, I have the same thing happening with my French and Spanish (L3 and L4) - it is quite normal, and the way you cure it, as with most things, is to practice speaking/reading/writing and switching on a regular basis. Your brain will adapt and separate them better. Of course there is individual variation in how well people do it but the basic mechanisms hold true for everyone.

What has likely happened in your case, as in mine, is that you have moved outside of an environment where you actively entertain L2 and L3, and instead live your life interacting mostly in Thai, and to some extent in your mother tongue. All it will take for you to fix it is enough immersion/practice of French/Greek, without leaving Thai totally behind.

Eek - I have a short Linguaphone course called Fast Lane German, which my daughter left here three years ago.

It's 4 x 60 minute cassettes I'm afraid and a 64 page tuition guide. It's never been used (I think), she doesn't want it and it's just gathering dust.

If it is of help to you to get started/motivated again, you are more than welcome to it - no charge, you just have to pick it up.

Might be hard to find a cassette recorder these days lol.

Eek, do you want it?

If not its free to anyone who can use it.

uptheos, thanks so much for the very kind offer. However, i wish to focus on Spanish and French. German is not a priority for me. So best give it to someone with more need than I. Thank you again. :wai:

uptheos, thanks so much for the very kind offer. However, i wish to focus on Spanish and French. German is not a priority for me. So best give it to someone with more need than I. Thank you again. :wai:

Ok, no problem Eek, I have someone who would like it.

Good luck with the Spanish and French. :)

Yes, I have the same thing happening with my French and Spanish (L3 and L4) - it is quite normal, and the way you cure it, as with most things, is to practice speaking/reading/writing and switching on a regular basis. Your brain will adapt and separate them better. Of course there is individual variation in how well people do it but the basic mechanisms hold true for everyone.

What has likely happened in your case, as in mine, is that you have moved outside of an environment where you actively entertain L2 and L3, and instead live your life interacting mostly in Thai, and to some extent in your mother tongue. All it will take for you to fix it is enough immersion/practice of French/Greek, without leaving Thai totally behind.

Fascinating post! I have this problem between L2 Welsh and L3 Thai. Mainly because my opportunities for speaking Welsh are limited here in Chiang Mai (though I believe there are about 5-10 of us resident here!) The last time I had a conversation in Welsh on the phone with a mate from back home, I found I was putting Thai words into my sentences and he was asking what I was talking about! Sh-it I thought, I must have been here too long!!!

My nearly 3 year old son of course, merrily mixes up his English and Thai gloriously - sometimes with a word or two of Japanese thrown in if he's been talking to the neighbours little girls! How I'm going to teach him Welsh I have no idea. This is a problem for any parent who wants their child to learn any monority language from back home. I know friends who have given up trying to teach their kids Flemish, Danish etc.

Fascinating post! I have this problem between L2 Welsh and L3 Thai. Mainly because my opportunities for speaking Welsh are limited here in Chiang Mai (though I believe there are about 5-10 of us resident here!) The last time I had a conversation in Welsh on the phone with a mate from back home, I found I was putting Thai words into my sentences and he was asking what I was talking about! Sh-it I thought, I must have been here too long!!!

My nearly 3 year old son of course, merrily mixes up his English and Thai gloriously - sometimes with a word or two of Japanese thrown in if he's been talking to the neighbours little girls! How I'm going to teach him Welsh I have no idea. This is a problem for any parent who wants their child to learn any monority language from back home. I know friends who have given up trying to teach their kids Flemish, Danish etc.

It always amazes me why foreigners feel the need to speak Thai to other foreigners. I consider my Thai 'OK' after being here quite some time, but I never feel the need to say such things as, e.g. haa roy for five hundred or kop khun for thank you........it's a strange phenomenon that some people do.