Islands Near Pattaya Accessible By Car?

beppi

Hi,

I am planning a trip with wife and baby. Due to the amount of gear and difficulty of travelling with an infant, we need to get all the way to our accomodation by car. Unfortunately I couldn't find information on available car ferries online. Could you enlighten me?

My search includes Koh Si Chang, the islands around Pattaya and maybe all the way to Koh Samet, but Koh Chang is too far (we'll drive from Bangkok).

Thanks for any hints!

Greetings,

Frank

I don't believe Koh Samet is accessible by car, but I could be wrong. The only time I went there, a few years back, it was just a standard passenger ferry and once your arrived on the island, you could rent a very expensive motorcycle to get around the island.

In any event, at the time, I would not recommend driving a car on the island. The road was very very very bumpy and dusty. It was kind of fun riding with a small motorcycle, but I would have preferred a 4x4.

No cars on Samet, nor on the islands near Pattaya. And I don't believe on Koh Si Chang either. Only Koh Chang.

What about staying at a place on the mainland? Sunset Village is a really nice place just south of Pattaya.

http://www.sunsetvillage.co.th/

There are also some nice places in and around Rayong. I would try tripadvisor.com for more help.

As already stated, the only island for cars is Koh Chang, why not head to pattaya and then keep going, look at some of the beaches on the navy land at sattahip,through to U tapao ( there area some aircon cabins to stay in )or continue around the coast,there are some nice quiet beaches all the way along to Rayong,( phala beach, Phayun beach, and others) there is one of the sponsors that have have a hotel at Ban Phe opposite Koh Samet island. and still further along the coast towards Kho chang. All within a few hours drive of Pattaya.

No cars on Samet, nor on the islands near Pattaya. And I don't believe on Koh Si Chang either. Only Koh Chang.

What about staying at a place on the mainland? Sunset Village is a really nice place just south of Pattaya.

http://www.sunsetvillage.co.th/

There are also some nice places in and around Rayong. I would try tripadvisor.com for more help.

Here is another option, although perhaps a few kilometers further than Pattaya -

Rayong - several years ago now my daughter, girlfriend, employee and I were looking for place to holiday. Pukhet was high on the list. I was contacted by a mate of mine, with Thai wife, who were on holiday at Hat Mae Rumpung beach and suggested that we come down. We did. We stayed at The Sea Breeze Resort - small hotel with swimming pool and additional small chalets, where I could take the family dog. Loved it.

The beach is located some 15 kilometres outside of Rayong and runs for about 11 kilometres from Rayong to a head land where the National Park is and then around the corner to Ban Phe the jumping off point to Koh Samet.

We had a great time. There was a mobile caravan of a bar, run by a German on the Beach road and every evening we would all have a few drinks, go beach hunting for clams, to later cook and eat and have a beach barbeque. I found the sea refreshingly clean after Pattaya.

Years pass. My mate now has a bungalow down there and I return regularly. Even rented a bungalow and later a condo for a while. In winter the sea, I think is like the Caribbean(?). In summer - surf develops and it can be quite different.

The beach is divided by a rocky head land with car park and food vendors and a small bay where the fishermen keep their boats. These days I either stay at the Gold Hotel (400 THB) a night including swimming pool, just off the beach or as per the previous post The Condotel, now The Rayong Beach Hotel - overlooking the beach. You can either have a room overlooking the beach or overlooking the mountains. Basic breakfast included and nice swimming pool.

There are many other Guesthouses and restaurants up and down the beach - V.P. Guest House for example that cater to westerners. At weekends, many groups of students come down to stay over. There are lots of mini-marts so depending on your choice of hooch - easily available.

There is a Tesco Lotus in Ban Phe, a short car ride away along the beach road.

If you like the nightlife then you may find it quiet. but even at the beach, there are some (a few) bars..

There are many seafood and a few western restaurants, on the beach and it is great to eat, have a few wooblypos and relax on the deckchairs underneath the pine trees.

You may hear different views for some folk, but for my money this is the best kept secret in Thailand.

In Rayong there are other hotels - sorry cannot help you there and a big Tesco Lotus and BIG C.

A few kilometres down the road is Ban Phe where the ferries depart for Koh Samet, a small island and a national park. I use the ferry terminal opposite the 7-11 and you have a choice of speed boat, which will drop you on the beach at which the resort is that you wish to stay. Or slow boat which will take you to the pier on the north side of the island where you can either walk to your resort or get a songtieow.

Pm me with you would like further information or directions.

Have a great holiday.

Gladiator

:whistling: if its one off them cars that drive on water,only joke just go on the ferry bits a nice journey just tell the kids there going on an adventure and not to tell anyone they will enjoy sitting on the beach and dont miss the last ferry them islands is boring after dark so enjoy watch your wallet

Here is another option, although perhaps a few kilometers further than Pattaya -

Rayong - several years ago now my daughter, girlfriend, employee and I were looking for place to holiday. Pukhet was high on the list. I was contacted by a mate of mine, with Thai wife, who were on holiday at Hat Mae Rumpung beach and suggested that we come down. We did. We stayed at The Sea Breeze Resort - small hotel with swimming pool and additional small chalets, where I could take the family dog. Loved it.

The beach is located some 15 kilometres outside of Rayong and runs for about 11 kilometres from Rayong to a head land where the National Park is and then around the corner to Ban Phe the jumping off point to Koh Samet.

We had a great time. There was a mobile caravan of a bar, run by a German on the Beach road and every evening we would all have a few drinks, go beach hunting for clams, to later cook and eat and have a beach barbeque. I found the sea refreshingly clean after Pattaya.

Years pass. My mate now has a bungalow down there and I return regularly. Even rented a bungalow and later a condo for a while. In winter the sea, I think is like the Caribbean(?). In summer - surf develops and it can be quite different.

The beach is divided by a rocky head land with car park and food vendors and a small bay where the fishermen keep their boats. These days I either stay at the Gold Hotel (400 THB) a night including swimming pool, just off the beach or as per the previous post The Condotel, now The Rayong Beach Hotel - overlooking the beach. You can either have a room overlooking the beach or overlooking the mountains. Basic breakfast included and nice swimming pool.

There are many other Guesthouses and restaurants up and down the beach - V.P. Guest House for example that cater to westerners. At weekends, many groups of students come down to stay over. There are lots of mini-marts so depending on your choice of hooch - easily available.

If you like the nightlife then you may find it quiet. but even at the beach, there are some (a few) bars..

There are many seafood and a few western restaurants, on the beach and it is great to eat, have a few wooblypos and relax on the deckchairs underneath the pine trees.

You may hear different views for some folk, but for my money this is the best kept secret in Thailand.

In Rayong there are other hotels - sorry cannot help you there and a big Tesco Lotus and BIG C.

A few kilometres down the road is Ban Phe where the ferries depart for Koh Samet, a small island and a national park. I use the ferry terminal opposite the 7-11 and you have a choice of speed boat, which will drop you on the beach at which the resort is that you wish to stay. Or slow boat which will take you to the pier on the north side of the island where you can either walk to your resort or get a songtieow.

Have a great holiday.

Gladiator

My wife is from that beach and as such, we go there often. :) When I go, I stay on the eastern edge of the beach, there are usually only a handful of people in total during the week. During the weekend, tour buses come and fill up the place, but it's still less crowded than some other beaches.

I usually stay at the Beach Hotel (which I suspect is the same as Rayong Beach Hotel), it's towards the end of the beach just before the road heads inland again. However, the prices have been rising. The last time I stayed there, it was 1000 to 1100 baht for the sea view room, not sure if the mountain view would be cheaper.

In January, my wife and I looked at some newly constructed building fairly close to the Beach Hotel. It was three stories tall and each room consisted of both an indoor and an outdoor portion. I really liked it as the outdoor portion wasn't just some balcony, it was more of an outdoor room. The reason I didn't stay there was mainly because the bedroom only had sheer curtains that would let way too much light in the room too early in the morning for my taste. Also, they left the floors as bare concrete. They really should have tiled.

If the OP does stay there, then Koh Samet is an easy day trip.

Dave.

Have a great holiday.

Gladiator

My wife is from that beach and as such, we go there often. :) When I go, I stay on the eastern edge of the beach, there are usually only a handful of people in total during the week. During the weekend, tour buses come and fill up the place, but it's still less crowded than some other beaches.

I usually stay at the Beach Hotel (which I suspect is the same as Rayong Beach Hotel), it's towards the end of the beach just before the road heads inland again. However, the prices have been rising. The last time I stayed there, it was 1000 to 1100 baht for the sea view room, not sure if the mountain view would be cheaper.

In January, my wife and I looked at some newly constructed building fairly close to the Beach Hotel. It was three stories tall and each room consisted of both an indoor and an outdoor portion. I really liked it as the outdoor portion wasn't just some balcony, it was more of an outdoor room. The reason I didn't stay there was mainly because the bedroom only had sheer curtains that would let way too much light in the room too early in the morning for my taste. Also, they left the floors as bare concrete. They really should have tiled.

If the OP does stay there, then Koh Samet is an easy day trip.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the post. I just had a look at the website for The Rayong Beach Hotel (Previously - The Condotel)

http://www.rayongbeachhotel.com/ (If you Google rayong beach hotel - you have a translate facility).

Depending on the day of the week, the rates do seem a little cheaper than The Beach Hotel. Certainly mountain View, as against beach View. Having said that I am not sure the last time that the website was updated - but it is low season and many hotels are 'begging' for business at this time.

I think that The Rayong Beach Hotel may be a different hotel as it is located just before the 'Rocks' and fishermans beach - halfway down the beach, as coming from Rayong (Just after the V.P. Guest House). I take your point though, that at weekends - there are likely to be far more visitors at that part of the beach. Good time to use the swimming pool.

The V.P. Guest House restaurant used to have excellent western food, although slightly pricey. It has now changed hands to Thai ownership so I am not sure if the fare or quality has changed. On the beach, close to the Rayong Beach Hotel is BeeDees run by a Thai lady from Khon Kaen and her German husband. - mixed Western/Thai fare. A little further along a restaurant that does Pizza and not at all bad. Just after the rocks on the left is a restaurant that cooks excellent fish and chips with Malt vinegar on the tables.

Not to forget the Classic Tamnapar Classic Forest Restaurant, a few kilometres from the beach. A real must in terms of ambiance, waterfalls,pools, Bird wildlife and fish. Quite a good selection of western food in addition to Thai - and they offer a discount card.

Cheers,

Gladiator

If you decide to go to Koh si Chang,you'll have to leave your car at the pier, or in a car parkin Sri Ratcha, which was the reason I turned back when I got to the pier in May.

Edited by phil2