'New York City Cop' Arrested On Drug Charges In Phuket

webfact

'New York City cop' arrested on drug charges in Phuket

phuket-1-XXIPltN.jpg

Mr Wesarat in custody at Tah Chat Chai Police Station.

PHUKET: -- Police on Monday arrested two men caught smuggling some 8,000 ya bah (methamphetamine) pills onto the island at Tah Chat Chai checkpoint.

Tah Chat Chai Police identified the suspects as 35-year-old Nonthaburi resident Wesarat Ninjamrat and his alleged accomplice Jad Jedklang, a 26-year-old from Nakhon Sri Thammarat.

At the time of his arrest, at about 6pm, Mr Wesarat was apparently high on methamphetamines and wearing a black polo shirt identifying himself as a member of the New York City Police SWAT team.

The drugs were stashed in a variety of containers, including a box of Scotch brand bird nest beverage.

Along with the ya bah pills was a small bag of ya ice (crystal methamphetamine) weighing 2.85 grams.

Mr Wesarat initially said the packages contained a present for his boss in Phuket Town and that he was reluctant for police to open it because he didn’t want to diminish the beauty of the packaging.

Also seized in the arrest was drug apparatus allegedly used to smoke ya ice, 2,380 baht in cash, five mobile phones, three Bangkok Bank account books, three ATM cards and the Bangkok-registered Toyota Vios Mr Wesarat drove to the checkpoint.

Both men were charged with possession of a Category 1 narcotic and conspiracy to sell.

Mr Wesarat said he was only transporting the drugs and had no intention of selling them himself, but admitted that 73 of the pills belonged to him for his own consumption.

Mr Wesarat told police he was currently out on bail after being charged with possession of ya Ice in Kamphaeng Phet province.

He has a scheduled court appearance in the northern province on July 29, he told police.

Mr Wesarat also confessed that the intercepted shipment represented the remainder of a much larger order and that he had driven 24,000 yah bah pills onto the island on July 22.

Despite the damning nature of the confession, police refused to accept his words at face value as the suspect appeared to be under the influence of drugs.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-07-28

Yes- I must have been a bit slow off the mark, spotting the quote marks when this headline came to my mobile. No biggy, this kind of thing is quite common on TV headlines these days, and it does look like a direct quote from the phuket paper. Hardly seems to rate messaging me about rhough.

Shame on PG for the misleading headline, attempt at humour or not. Just bad journalism. For most of today I believed an actual New York City police officer was arrested in Phuket on drug offenses after seeing the email but not having time to read the whole story. I suspect lots of others will think this to. And why not? After all, I read it in the newspaper so it must be true. On second inspection I noticed the quotation marks and suspected something was amiss.

Forget the headline as people are wearing all kinds of shirts with what look like "official insignia", think about how many pills he was trying to get in, how many he admitted to bringing in before, how many are getting past the checkpoint.

Forget the headline as people are wearing all kinds of shirts with what look like "official insignia", think about how many pills he was trying to get in, how many he admitted to bringing in before, how many are getting past the checkpoint.

I have been through the check point several times lately and have seen only one vehicle stopped for inspection.

There are probably thousand coming through every week.

I think the headline was misleading if you did not take the time to read the article.