Koh Samed Island

haveaniceday

Koh Samed Island, Is there are car ferry?

Do you need a car on the Island, will be 6 people?

Any idea of price?

What about the other side, off Sri Archer, Koh Si Chang, any one got any reports from there?

This was the closest forum I could find this question.

Edited by haveaniceday

No ,no car ferry, either speed boat or slow boat to Island or if your a good swimmer, swim if feeling energetic, you can park car at pier for a price or park up somewhere in Bahn Phe..

On island, baht buses, motor bikes for rent or quads..

Kho Chang a ferry for cars and you can take cars onto the Island.

HTH

Edited by MB1

Hi,

Koh Samed island is approx 7km in length from north to south and at its widest point in the west to east side is 4km, a small island the only transport available on the island is motorcycles / Quad bikes

or truck taxis. no cars! the passenger ferry departs Ban Phe Harbour which is approx 2 hrs from bangkok check out this website http://www.kohsamed.net it is managed by the president of the island

resident association and gives lots of good acurate info and lists ALL hotels / Guesthouses on Koh Samed, This website also has a telephone directory for all the islands accommodation.

Have a great trip

Edited by mallorca284673

You can't take your car to Samet.

You wouldn't want to drive your car on Samet - there's really just one road running the length of the island, with a few minor roads leading down to the various resorts/beaches. They're all lumpy-bumpy dirt roads.

To get around you can hire motor bikes or quads, and many of the resorts have pick-up style taxis.

As another poster said - you can park your car at any of the (several) ferry terminals and get a speedboat (1200-1500 baht per boat, each way) or slow boat (50-60 baht per person each way) to the island. I prefer the slow boat as I never tire of the great views on the approach.

Of course, there are many different boats leaving Ban Phe for various beaches/resorts around the island.

Entry to the island (National Marine Park) is 40 baht for Thai and 200 baht for tourists. This fee will be collected by the Park Police as you step off the boat (or some of the ferries collect it as you sail across).

There are dozens of resorts on the island and prices range from about 800 baht to 6,000 baht per night per room. I believe there is also a camping site.

I've been visiting Samet about 2-3 times a year for the past 10 years and would recommend it, if you enjoy a quiet beach holiday (i.e.- not much nightlife).

My personal favourite is Vongdeuan Resort (on Vongdeuan beach) where prices are 1,500 to 3,500 per night (However, I've never tried any of the very expensive resorts).

If you want an island where you can take your car, try Koh Chang. The island is much larger and has proper roads (spectacular views if you drive from one end of the island to the other). But, be warned, they have a proper rainy season there whereas Samet seems to have much better weather.

Edited by chickenslegs

The park fee is not collected at the ferry pier, but at the entrance to the National Park. Walk down the road from the pier towards the park (about 5 minutes walk), turn left into the temple compound, through the backdoor to the beach et voilà! you're in without paying a fee...B)

Alternative: Take the speedboat to the beach of your choice, and avoid the park fee plus the pick-up taxi mafia altogether!

Entry to the island (National Marine Park) is 40 baht for Thai and 200 baht for tourists. This fee will be collected by the Park Police as you step off the boat (or some of the ferries collect it as you sail across).

Sorry chickenlegs, but in all the years I've been going to Samet, never had the money taken on a ferry or when stepping off the boat at ferry pier, but collected at the entrance to Nat park, as Raro said, take speed boat and can avoid fee for Nat park, I've never paid once when taking speed boat, also if not with a large group, certain speedboats leave at various times per day and you pay fee per passenger, last time I used in June, was 200 baht on a White Shark boat from pier .

Never used the Backdoor entrance Raro, may give it a try next time... :giggle:

Sorry chickenlegs, but in all the years I've been going to Samet, never had the money taken on a ferry or when stepping off the boat at ferry pier, but collected at the entrance to Nat park, as Raro said, take speed boat and can avoid fee for Nat park, I've never paid once when taking speed boat, also if not with a large group, certain speedboats leave at various times per day and you pay fee per passenger, last time I used in June, was 200 baht on a White Shark boat from pier .

Never used the Backdoor entrance Raro, may give it a try next time... :giggle:

Yes, you are correct - if you take the ferry from the main pier at Ban Phe and get off at the main town pier on Samet you have not yet entered the National Marine Park.

I usually take a slow boat from one of the other Ban Phe piers. Most take you directly to your beach or resort. The Parks Police meet you on the beach.

I suppose calling these boats "ferries" isn't technically correct.

On two occasions the fee has been collected from me on the boat. I assume this was by arrangement with the Parks Police as official receipts were given.

As for sneaking through the temple grounds to avoid the 40b fee - :o - shocking!

if you come with the slow boat directly to one of the beaches, look out for the park rangers and walk away from them. They are too busy collecting park fees from those who run directly towards them and again you get away without paying. B)

As Chickenlegs pointed out you wouldn't want your car over there. You can walk most of the inhabited part of the isle . Or taxi to Ao Kiu resturaunt if it is still under that name. Last civilized stop unless you have a motocross bike atv or 4 wheel drive. From there it is about 2&1/2 kilo walk & you can 1/2 way from the hike cross to the other side to see the rougher ocean. Quite pretty!Once you have done the trek you will probably not want to do it twice(as you will have seen it. Koh Chang is much more vast & worth taking a car ferry or rent a bike. Just pay attention to the road as Koh Chang accidents happen daily. The roads are steep & the gawkers are wrecking.........Don't forget about the Thai rivers that never pay attention.