Underwater Photography Pictures

bazmlb

Very nice. Love the whale shark. Unbelievable.

What kind of cameras are you both using?

The first set of pics I was using a Sealife DC800 with strobe. The pics I am in are from a professional underwater photographer using an SLR of some kind. The rest, including the Whale Shark, I'm not actually sure. My student asked me to carry their camera to get some shots of them when the Whale Shark suddenly appeared.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi bazmlb,

I'm a pro underwater photographer based out of Bangkok. I hope you don't mind me posting a link to some of my UW photos here too.

http://AGuaPictures....llery/THAILAND/

ALL my uw photos on my website are taking with point&shoot cameras - like Olympus c5050, Canon G10, G11 - so I also host uw photography workshops for point & shoot divers all over Asia...BKK included of course...Just follow the Facebook links to find out more about them or email me.

Here's some photo to start...no strobes used!! Hope you enjoy the photos.

020__P8301038a.Swimmer_Pool_SunriseHotel_Umbrella_Sky.c.AguaPictures.jpg

P0803210324.jpg

____PA190766a.TritonTriggerFish_yellow_BlueSea.AguaPictures.com.jpg

post-117839-0-79373300-1289806170_thumb.

post-117839-0-22014500-1289806182_thumb.

post-117839-0-58737600-1289806199_thumb.

Edited by LawrenceAlexWu

Hi Crazy...

Unfortunately sharks have a hard to loose reputation of being dangerous. I've been side by side them before (not easy to get so close either)...but generally, they're as tame as puppies when you do see them in the wild & up live...Especially the sharks in most of SE Asia...

Long & short...they are not "man-eaters"...

Cheers,

Alex

I don't subscribe to the harmless point of view, "mostly harmless" is a better way to put it. Different sharks behave in different ways, and if you get in a situation where you look vulnerable then you may find a normally "harmless" shark behaves in rather alarming ways.

I got repeatedly charged one day trying to swim back to the boat against a strong current on snorkel. I had to kick strongly to make progress against the current and that's what was setting it off. There were three hanging around and I was very lucky that only one was aggressive. Not much fun.

I worked there for 18 months and never had a problem before or after.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Crush...yes....i would agree that "mostly harmless" is clearer...A

I would say that even that is over stating it, especially when referring to sharks around Thailand, and especially when considering the danger to scuba divers, which is infinitesimal.

Of the 400+ species, only 4-5 of the apex predators could be considered dangerous, (whites, bulls, tigers, and perhaps some hammerheads and blues) and we don't generally see those in Thai waters. Some operations are now offering cage-less shark dives with the apex predator sharks. Shark "attacks" occur either due to accident, like divers getting bit while feeding, or mistaken identity, where the shark thinks the diver is food. With all the neoprene, hoses and bubbles, scuba divers look and smell nothing like seals, sea lions and turtles. Freedivers and surfers, on the other hand, behave and look like prey, thus the the number shark attacks on them.

As I write this I see a story on BBC about a series of shark attacks in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt. They have banned all water sports in the region, unfortunately including scuba diving even though it was 3 Russian snorkelers that were bitten. The unusual thing is they believe it was an oceanic white-tip, which would be very rare. In the BBC report they said there have only been 9 reported white-tip incidents worldwide.

I would say that even that is over stating it, especially when referring to sharks around Thailand

There just aren't many sharks around Thailand to worry about due to the insane fishing pressure, especially in the northern gulf.

I'm not convinced that shark attacks on humans are mistakes, my experience is that a shark (and fish in general with rare exceptions) will eat anything they think they can get away with. Behaviour is important, if you look edible they'll have a go and there are some circumstances (like mine) where it is difficult not to look like food. Especially if you don't know its there.

I know of a number of incidents where divers have been hit. A guy was bitten in half by a great white at Julian Rocks (Byron Bay) about a week after I dived there. A navy diver got chopped up in Sydney Harbour not long ago, and while I was working at Airlie Beach there were at least two attacks on divers, one of which we evacuated by air from our pontoon, he'd lost a big chunk of his forearm.

There are also sharks that will bite for defensive reasons like grey reefs which just give me the creeps. You don't need to look like food there, you just have to get close enough to upset it. My snorkelling tour groups only spotted about 20% of the reef sharks I saw, and I'm guessing I'd be lucky to have seen about 50% of what was actually there, probably less.

Re. the oceanic white tips, I think Cousteau called those 'the most dangerous of all sharks'. You have to survive to file a report :)