Anyone Flown Eva Elite Class?

tommytouch

I'm thinking about using my airmiles to get an upgrade on EVA, moving up from economy to Elite Class, BKK - LON. What I'd like to know is if there's much difference in quality - basically is it worth paying an extra £150 (roughly B15,000) to to move up from economy to Elite Class (only one leg of the journey)?

Thanks

I think it is worth it. I fly elite everytime...i am actually in EVA's VIP Lounge at SFO right now arriving friday night. I am not sure it that is included in every elite class ticket or if it is my silver card status. Anyways...it is a lot more leg room and much nicer service. If you get the VIP lounge which i think you will...it is well worth it...open bar and good food. Enjoy..

My old Mum is 89 years old. Visits me annually from the UK and we use EVA Elite every time.

She maintains that it's the perfect start to her holiday and a wonderful conclusion.

I guess that says it all.

Definitely worth the money

Yes, I like this class.

However, it has gone up in price considerably over the last few years, and for me it is too expensive at the moment, I don't think it is worth it to pay 15,000 baht extra (one way!!) on top of a ticket of more or less 20,000 Baht (presuming 1,000 Euro return ticket).

Got this news today via EVA's emailed newsletter...

Revised the VIP Lounge Privilege for Silver Card Members at San Francisco International Airport

Effective from Sep.01, 2010, Silver Card members holding Premium Laurel Class(Business Class)/Elite Class(Evergreen Deluxe Class) ticket or with confirmed upgrading reservation to Premium Laurel Class(Business Class)/Elite Class(Evergreen Deluxe Class) can access to EVA Air VIP Lounge at San Francisco international airport. This privilege will not be applicable for Silver Card members when they travel with Economy Class.

I'm very tall, and I generally like and fly EVA... But their Elite class doesn't do much for me...

I can't discern any upgrade in the food/beverage service over regular economy, at least on the flights between Taiwan and LAX..

And, when it comes to legroom, which is the biggest issue for me, I'll take the emergency exit row seats in economy any day over the Elite class seats, which just don't give me enough legroom for my 36-38 in inseams...

Elite is double seats on the outside aisles, whereas economy is 3 across on both outside aisles on their Boeing 777s... And the Elite seats are wider and do recline more... But I need the legroom, and Elite doesn't have it for me.

I'm very tall, and I generally like and fly EVA... But their Elite class doesn't do much for me...

I can't discern any upgrade in the food/beverage service over regular economy, at least on the flights between Taiwan and LAX..

And, when it comes to legroom, which is the biggest issue for me, I'll take the emergency exit row seats in economy any day over the Elite class seats, which just don't give me enough legroom for my 36-38 in inseams...

Elite is double seats on the outside aisles, whereas economy is 3 across on both outside aisles on their Boeing 777s... And the Elite seats are wider and do recline more... But I need the legroom, and Elite doesn't have it for me.

Actually, I find the seats a bit narrow as the am rest is fixed and there's no gap under it and I have to sit with my legs together. I'm 6'5" and find there's enough room for sitting normally.

You're talking about the emergency exit row seats in economy, right? Those have fixed/non-lifting seat dividers.

Re the Elite seats, I'm 6-8 and I'd be OK with them for a couple hours flight.

But for the Transpacific 11-14 hour segments, I couldn't comfortably sit there. I'd need the emergency exit row seats for stretching out my legs

Actually, I find the seats a bit narrow as the am rest is fixed and there's no gap under it and I have to sit with my legs together. I'm 6'5" and find there's enough room for sitting normally.

I agree 100%. The Evergreen Deluxe class in their 747s have/had much better seats. The new 777 Elite class seats are less comfortable and I've had the same complaint about them being more narrow. Also, some of the space under the seats in front of you have some mechanical box taking up much of the space making it difficult to stretch out.

Its the only way to fly for me, I am a big boy the seat is wider and more leg room. I have enough miles so when I can upgrade to business. Will be losing my silver card due to not flying enough lately and that is a bummer no vip lounge on green card.

Do any of you frequent flyers know if you can buy miles if you cannot fly.

Edited by moe666

You're talking about the emergency exit row seats in economy, right? Those have fixed/non-lifting seat dividers.

Re the Elite seats, I'm 6-8 and I'd be OK with them for a couple hours flight.

But for the Transpacific 11-14 hour segments, I couldn't comfortably sit there. I'd need the emergency exit row seats for stretching out my legs

No. I'm talking about elite seats.

EVA has told me several times in several places that they have no program at all for buying additional miles....only mileage credits thru their various partners...

Of course, sometimes, you can buy a last minute class upgrade at the counter, but lately, that hasn't seemed to have been on offer very much....

And, if you note my post above, at least at SFO, they're now kicking silver card economy class ticket holders out of their lounge. I wonder what's occurring or not occurring with that elsewhere....

I'm in the same boat, in that I had Gold with them, but lately reverted back to Silver... Their prices lately to LAX haven't been particularly competitive....so my last trip, I didn't fly with them.

EVA has told me several times in several places that they have no program at all for buying additional miles....only mileage credits thru their various partners...

Of course, sometimes, you can buy a last minute class upgrade at the counter, but lately, that hasn't seemed to have been on offer very much....

And, if you note my post above, at least at SFO, they're now kicking silver card economy class ticket holders out of their lounge. I wonder what's occurring or not occurring with that elsewhere....

I'm in the same boat, in that I had Gold with them, but lately reverted back to Silver... Their prices lately to LAX haven't been particularly competitive....so my last trip, I didn't fly with them.

I don't care so much about the SFO lounge. What I want is access to the lounge in Taipei. They have a lot more room, food and drinks and most importantly, free showers.

I thought the post in their members email re SFO was very strange... They announced that change re the lounge at SFO, but said absolutely nothing about other locations, including Taipei... And, needless to say, the lounge at BKK is quite nice also....and actually has a better selection of food for my tastes... But no shower... Bottom line, dunno what will happen next time I fly with them via my Silver card...

I thought the post in their members email re SFO was very strange... They announced that change re the lounge at SFO, but said absolutely nothing about other locations, including Taipei... And, needless to say, the lounge at BKK is quite nice also....and actually has a better selection of food for my tastes... But no shower... Bottom line, dunno what will happen next time I fly with them via my Silver card...

Silver card no problem I have been in the lounge but I did fly elite and upgraded to business. If they say no ask and maybe they will let you use some miles to use lounge.

You're not reading/understanding the prior post on EVA's announcement.

At SFO, it said they were kicking out Silver card holders traveling on ECONOMY tickets from the lounge at SFO,,,not those flying with Elite or higher class tickets. You weren't flying on an economy ticket, so any change would not have affected you.

Silver card no problem I have been in the lounge but I did fly elite and upgraded to business. If they say no ask and maybe they will let you use some miles to use lounge.

If you are tall; 6 feet or more, then Elite Class on their direct flights to-from London is very wise. There is enough legroom to be comfortable. I am not impressed with the recline on the new 777 though, it is not comfortable. It could be comfortable if you bring extra cushions for your lower back, but the style of recline in these 777's is like the Cathay 'shell seat' where the seat moves forward and you are in a 'break-back' posture. I was more comfortable with a slight recline and sleeping with my head hanging forward like a drunk.

I don't think there is any difference with meals and drinks. You will be lucky to get a few glasses of cheap red/white wine, I did not see spirits or beer served at all.

All things considered, I would prefer a stopover in the Middle East and fly with Emirates, Qatar or Etihad in Economy 7 hours then 6 hours and stretch my legs halfway.

I agree 100%. The Evergreen Deluxe class in their 747s have/had much better seats. The new 777 Elite class seats are less comfortable and I've had the same complaint about them being more narrow. Also, some of the space under the seats in front of you have some mechanical box taking up much of the space making it difficult to stretch out.

Deluxe was much better. But at 6ft 3ins I still take elite. 38 ins seatpitch versus 33 is a huge difference. :huh:

Elite not worth the extra dough now that it has risen by over 100% since beginning of 2010. thai air premium economy is better even though more expensive....try premium larel on eva..business/1st class....:whistling:

I agree. Go the whole hog. Fly Premium Laurel (Business). A few years ago when I retired I decided to abandon cattle class and jump straight to business. Best thing I ever did. Sure, it's a lot extra cash. But the benefits (to me) are huge. Big 30kg baggage allowance that no one seems to mind if it turns into 40kg. Large no questions hand baggage allowance with your own overhead bin. Loads of leg and bum room. No stepping over other passengers to get into the aisles. Easy access to the toilets with no queues (essential for someone who goes to the loo a lot). Nice big clean toilets too. Airport lounges make waiting for the plane a breeze. No queuing to get on the plane or fighting in the aisles. Your baggage comes off the carousel first so you are out of the airport very quickly at Bangkok or Heathrow.

Altogether it makes for a hassel free journey. I generally find flying a pain. Business makes it almost pain free. Go on. Treat yourself. You may find you can't do without it!