New Honda Model In October ?

Article about new Honda model in October in Bangkok Post and the Nation.

Something mentioned about big bikes too, looks like they finally will come...

Honda shifts to new gear

• [*]Published: 29/07/2010 at 12:00 AM[*]Newspaper section:

//edit - quote and link to BP article removed as per forum rules//

• Like 1

Mr Kato said Honda expected to market big bikes in Thailand as well after waiting two years for the economy to revive.

About flippin' time! I'm a big Honda fan and have been waiting for the Big H to get their act together in the Land of Smiles.

Bring it on!

T

Mr Kato said Honda expected to market big bikes in Thailand as well after waiting two years for the economy to revive.

About flippin' time! I'm a big Honda fan and have been waiting for the Big H to get their act together in the Land of Smiles.

Bring it on!

T

Hi Tony,

In the Nation from yesterday was more mentioned about big bikes, something about starting producing big bikes in Thailand too.

Regards,

alex

Honda might be wasting their investments when no one in BKK buys their big bikes.

Sure outside of BKK is great for riding the larger bikes, but BKK must surely count for the majority of potential sales.

I see more and more cops enforcing the no riding in the right lanes and going over or under passes all over Bankgok.

They recently put up the illegal for bikes signs on Ratchadaphisek and often have cops ticketing bikes.

If the laws don't let people enjoy big bikes, how many will spend the money for them.

Honda might be wasting their investments when no one in BKK buys their big bikes.

Sure outside of BKK is great for riding the larger bikes, but BKK must surely count for the majority of potential sales.

I see more and more cops enforcing the no riding in the right lanes and going over or under passes all over Bankgok.

They recently put up the illegal for bikes signs on Ratchadaphisek and often have cops ticketing bikes.

If the laws don't let people enjoy big bikes, how many will spend the money for them.

Why do you think no one will buy Hondas? Red Baron and other importers already do very good business importing and selling Hondas in Thailand and there's no arguing that Honda makes some of the most reliable well designed bikes in the world.

You think someone who can afford to buy an imported Honda is going to give a crap about the occasional backhander to the BiB?

FYI that right lane scam is just that- a scam! The law for cars and bikes is the same. I posted the law here some time ago. Suggest you google it, print it, and carry it in your wallet to show the coppers the next time they try to scam you with this BS.

You are supposed to stay left except when overtaking / lane blocked / one way road etc. This law applies to cars and bikes. Amazing how many people fall for that one :lol:

Bikes have been banned from the Ratchadapisek underpasses for as long as I can remember. Most of us take them anyway. IF you choose to stop the most you'll ever have to bribe the boys in brown is 200 baht. Best option IMO? Don't stop!

:lol:

Ride On!

Tony

• Like 1

Wow I said a week ago that Honda comes with a new sportsbike in September... Anyway it's a nice development

Be interesting to see if its the VTR 250 , (most likely?) or hopefully it's a CBR 250 with 6 speed box. Wait and see.

Bikes have been banned from the Ratchadapisek underpasses for as long as I can remember. Most of us take them anyway. IF you choose to stop the most you'll ever have to bribe the boys in brown is 200 baht. Best option IMO? Don't stop!

Ride On!

Tony

Priceless. Best manuever I have seen on a bike this year!

:jap:

Why do you think no one will buy Hondas? Red Baron and other importers already do very good business importing and selling Hondas in Thailand and there's no arguing that Honda makes some of the most reliable well designed bikes in the world.

You think someone who can afford to buy an imported Honda is going to give a crap about the occasional backhander to the BiB?

FYI that right lane scam is just that- a scam! The law for cars and bikes is the same. I posted the law here some time ago. Suggest you google it, print it, and carry it in your wallet to show the coppers the next time they try to scam you with this BS.

You are supposed to stay left except when overtaking / lane blocked / one way road etc. This law applies to cars and bikes. Amazing how many people fall for that one :lol:

Ride On!

Tony

Someone with the same idea as me but I thought I get 7b'ed. See if you can give em a high five as well as you pass.

Edited by Kwasaki

Wow I said a week ago that Honda comes with a new sportsbike in September... Anyway it's a nice development

So, as you say, it's no cbr250 but you say it's a sports bike which certainly doesn't describe the VTR250.... you've got me intrigued.

Hey Tony can you point us in the right place for these traffic laws? I've read the Thai law post on this forum and searched google but I didn't come up with any laws that are published by the Thai government, just English interpetations. I'd love to carry an official lawbook on me, even if it's in Thai, I'll just have someone that can read Thai highlight the important stuff. Those bastard cops have ripped me off enough but it's hard to fight them without the lawbook. Call me a sucker, my first illegal uturn cost me 400 baht, but I was new and didn't know better. Sure anyone that can afford a bigbike can pay a ticket or bribe but it's being hassled that annoys me. I've been pulled over twice in one day, it's annoying. If I got pulled over everytime I went out I'd start driving a car instead. Fortunately I'm in no hurry and follow the rules half the time nowadays.

Regarding the big bikes, I just think all bigbikes are a bad business venture because I rarely see any. I might see one bigbike a day here so based on what I see riding in BKK I'd guess bigbikes are less than 1% of vehicle sales in this country. I've seen 5 Lamborghinis and 2 Ferraris on Ratchadaphisek in the past year but I have only seen one Triumph and 2 Ducatis in the same timeframe. Except for the Kawasakis, bigbikes costs the same as a car. For most people buying a car seems to come first. I've owned 2 Honda bikes and they were dead reliable. Honda makes good stuff. I was just looking at it from a sales standpoint. I can't imagine Honda selling many bigbikes here but I suppose if they make them here, their profits would come from the export side of the operation.

I did some more searching and found this Dept of Land and Transport interactive site.

Just click the English tab and Rules of the Road area.

http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

Page 12 in it pretty much says you have to be in the left lane unless there's an obstruction or the left lane is less than 6 meters in width.

Page 14 says you should overtake to the right.

Page 15 says left overtaking is possible but the explanations are cut off, of course.

I guess I'll just carry the ThaiLaws.com translation and try to talk myself out of tickets better.

AP Honda seem to be real experts when it comes to waiting around and doing nothing.

One thought that occurred to me though is that they may just wait for the import taxes to drop under the FTA with Japan. I believe these go down 10% every year over a 10 year period, which should make imported bikes 10% cheaper every year. Maybe they just wait until they get the price points they want.

Does anybody know if Yamaha is going down with the prices? I didn't get the impression but I didn't really check either.

I did some more searching and found this Dept of Land and Transport interactive site.

Page 12 in it pretty much says you have to be in the left lane unless there's an obstruction or the left lane is less than 6 meters in width.

Page 15 says left overtaking is possible but the explanations are cut off, of course.

I guess I'll just carry the ThaiLaws.com translation and try to talk myself out of tickets better.

TT... Nothing in there about bikes. They are just normal every road user rules. Some good spellin mistakes. Thanks for posting though, will help the missus with her test.

Ride On!

Tony

Someone with the same idea as me but I thought I get 7b'ed. See if you can give em a high five as well as you pass.

I like the way you think- this is one of my favorite ads of all time!

Ride On!

Tony

I still can't find the link to the online bilingual Land Traffic Act that spells out the road traffic laws here in Thailand but here are the relevant sections in English and Thai for your reference. Recommend you print it and carry it in your wallet for the next time some corrupt Bangkok cop tries to pull this scam on you. (Ever notice how this ONLY happens in Bangkok?) ;) I tell you the look on their faces is priceless when you go for your wallet and they think they're getting some dough, only to receive a lesson in Thai traffic law instead. :lol: If you want to take it to the next step ask them for their name and why they don't know the law. That gets you sent off right quick! :cheesy:

1. Vehicle Driving

Section 31

[unless otherwise stated in Section 65 and Section 66 concerning the bus lane, use of roadways shall be in accordance with following sections.]

Section 32

[The driver shall be careful not to hit pedestrians, and may use the horn if necessary. The driver shall be especially careful with children, elderly persons and disabled persons.]

Section 33 (500B)

[When driving, the driver shall keep to the left of the road and must not drive beyond the middle of the roadway, except following situations:

▪ a. there is obstruction on the road

▪ b. the road is prescribed as one-way

▪ c. the road width is less than 6m.

Section 34 (500B)

[if the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:

▪ c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction

▪ d. when overtaking another vehicle

▪ e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

1. การขับขี่ยานพาหนะ

มาตรา 31

[เว้นแต่จะระบุเป็นอย่างอื่นในมาตรา 65 และมาตรา 66 เกี่ยวกับช่องทางรถบัสการใช้ roadways จะตามไปส่วน.]

มาตรา 32

[ขับ รถจะต้องระมัดระวังไม่ให้ตี pedestrians และอาจใช้แตรหากจำเป็น. ขับรถจะต้องระมัดระวังโดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งกับเด็กคนสูงอายุและคนพิการ.]

มาตรา 33 (500B)

[ขับรถคนขับจะเก็บด้านซ้ายของถนนและต้องไม่ขับเกินกลางถนนนอกจากนี้สถานการณ์เมื่อ:

▪ a. มีสิ่งกีดขวางบนถนนนั้น

▪ b. ถนนจะกำหนดเป็นทางเดียว

▪ c. ความกว้างถนนน้อยกว่า 6M.

มาตรา 34 (500B)

[หาก เดินทางแบ่งเป็นสองหรือมากกว่าเส้นทางการจราจรในทิศทางเดียวกันคนขับจะให้ไป ไกลสุดช่องทางด้านซ้ายมือ. ถ้าไกลสุดช่องทางด้านซ้ายมือเป็นช่องทางรถคนขับจะให้ใกล้กับช่องทางรถบัส. ยกเว้นกรณีต่อไปนี้

▪ c. ที่จำเป็นเพื่อเข้าสู่ช่องทางที่ถูกต้องเมื่อใกล้ทางแยก

▪ d. ตามทันรถอีกเมื่อ

▪ e. เมื่อขับรถเร็วกว่ารถในด้านซ้ายมีทางด้านมือ. MOVING FASTER THAN LEFT LANE

Ride On!

Tony

I still can't find the link to the online bilingual Land Traffic Act that spells out the road traffic laws here in Thailand but here are the relevant sections in English and Thai for your reference. Recommend you print it and carry it in your wallet for the next time some corrupt Bangkok cop tries to pull this scam on you. (Ever notice how this ONLY happens in Bangkok?) ;) I tell you the look on their faces is priceless when you go for your wallet and they think they're getting some dough, only to receive a lesson in Thai traffic law instead. :lol: If you want to take it to the next step ask them for their name and why they don't know the law. That gets you sent off right quick! :cheesy:

1. Vehicle Driving

Section 31

[unless otherwise stated in Section 65 and Section 66 concerning the bus lane, use of roadways shall be in accordance with following sections.]

Section 32

[The driver shall be careful not to hit pedestrians, and may use the horn if necessary. The driver shall be especially careful with children, elderly persons and disabled persons.]

Section 33 (500B)

[When driving, the driver shall keep to the left of the road and must not drive beyond the middle of the roadway, except following situations:

▪ c. the road width is less than 6m.

Section 34 (500B)

[if the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:

▪ c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction

▪ d. when overtaking another vehicle

▪ e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

1. การขับขี่ยานพาหนะ

มาตรา 31

[เว้นแต่จะระบุเป็นอย่างอื่นในมาตรา 65 และมาตรา 66 เกี่ยวกับช่องทางรถบัสการใช้ roadways จะตามไปส่วน.]

มาตรา 32

[ขับ รถจะต้องระมัดระวังไม่ให้ตี pedestrians และอาจใช้แตรหากจำเป็น. ขับรถจะต้องระมัดระวังโดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งกับเด็กคนสูงอายุและคนพิการ.]

มาตรา 33 (500B)

[ขับรถคนขับจะเก็บด้านซ้ายของถนนและต้องไม่ขับเกินกลางถนนนอกจากนี้สถานการณ์เมื่อ:

▪ c. ความกว้างถนนน้อยกว่า 6M.

มาตรา 34 (500B)

[หาก เดินทางแบ่งเป็นสองหรือมากกว่าเส้นทางการจราจรในทิศทางเดียวกันคนขับจะให้ไป ไกลสุดช่องทางด้านซ้ายมือ. ถ้าไกลสุดช่องทางด้านซ้ายมือเป็นช่องทางรถคนขับจะให้ใกล้กับช่องทางรถบัส. ยกเว้นกรณีต่อไปนี้

▪ c. ที่จำเป็นเพื่อเข้าสู่ช่องทางที่ถูกต้องเมื่อใกล้ทางแยก

▪ d. ตามทันรถอีกเมื่อ

▪ e. เมื่อขับรถเร็วกว่ารถในด้านซ้ายมีทางด้านมือ. MOVING FASTER THAN LEFT LANE

Ride On!

Tony

I knew that whole line about you must drive in left lane was a little fishy. I tried it for a day , and almost got killed a few times on the Ninja. Will have to get a copy of that printed out. Thnx

I enjoyed the police in Kanab, UT watching over things as I paid a brief visit. I was advised by the local store clerk that funding was inadequate, thus the reason for the stiff (And that was in 2007). Curious as to what things are like in that town now....

post-69968-082214700 1280553331_thumb.jp

What you really want is one of these! Oh yer. :)

201419.jpg

Lovely. Combined ABS on this bike sounds fantastic.

~ 400k baht MSRP in the USA (ABS version). So guess the price in Thailand...

If the 600RR was available, I would be placing my order.......but as they arent, looks like Im buying a Yammy YZF R6 next month.

201419.jpg

If the 600RR was available, I would be placing my order.......but as they arent, looks like Im buying a Yammy YZF R6 next month.

Who says the CBR600RR isn't available in Thailand? (This one's Japan spec restricted but if you want full power all you have to do is ask).

100402-0000432.jpg

While the CBR1000 seems much more popular in Thailand it's pretty easy to order a 600 if you want one.

Ride On!

Tony

201419.jpg

Who says the CBR600RR isn't available in Thailand? (This one's Japan spec restricted but if you want full power all you have to do is ask).

100402-0000432.jpg

While the CBR1000 seems much more popular in Thailand it's pretty easy to order a 600 if you want one.

Ride On!

Tony

Sorry a bit off original topic.....

Tony, Can you suggest where? New, fully registered and with warranty?

I think the 600 would better match my rider skills and give me everything I need ,or want, more than a 1000.

I doubt if in fact I would ever get even a 600 to its limits, my limits being much lower than the bikes. I have rented both Honda and Yammy 600s. I felt the Yammy was slightly better finished It was also slightly smoother to ride but maybe newer than the Hondas I had so maybe a factor.

On ething that I didnt like on the Yammy, I burned my inner thighs severely on a long trip. (Huge burn blisters, I used babies nappies to protect on the return) And the seat is 25mm higher which is too high for my legs.

But I am sure the Honda would be easier to sell and have a higher resale value, but both would have a high depreciation going by second hand bikes advertised in TV.

100402-0000432.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Sorry a bit off original topic.....

Tony, Can you suggest where? New, fully registered and with warranty?

I think the 600 would better match my rider skills and give me everything I need ,or want, more than a 1000.

I doubt if in fact I would ever get even a 600 to its limits, my limits being much lower than the bikes. I have rented both Honda and Yammy 600s. I felt the Yammy was slightly better finished It was also slightly smoother to ride but maybe newer than the Hondas I had so maybe a factor.

On ething that I didnt like on the Yammy, I burned my inner thighs severely on a long trip. (Huge burn blisters, I used babies nappies to protect on the return) And the seat is 25mm higher which is too high for my legs.

But I am sure the Honda would be easier to sell and have a higher resale value, but both would have a high depreciation going by second hand bikes advertised in TV.

Well, you won't get a Honda warranty as Honda doesn't sell big bikes in Thailand yet. But if you order a new bike from Red Baron they give you a warranty. I forget the terms- you should call them and ask. Most reviews give the edge to the Honda in both performance, build quality and finish. But then again both bike are fantastic and you really can't go wrong with either one. Lovely image of you rolling along on your R6 with nappies taped to your legs... :lol:

Not sure what you mean about depreciation- fully legal big bikes hold their value quite well here in Thailand. But it's true that the price of illegal / semi-legal bikes have fallen drastically.

Ride On!

Tony

Those bastard cops have ripped me off enough but it's hard to fight them without the lawbook.

Be careful when talking back to Thai buffalo Police, and telling them that they're wrong. Failing the attitude test may well cost a lot more time, money and headaches than just paying them the 200b and being on your way.

I found this out the hard way with my fully legal bike confiscated by 2 coppers refusing to give so much as their names, let alone any type of ticket. The bike would have disappeared no doubt. It cost me hours, a 1000b, and a scratch down the side of the fairing from him putting on the wheel clamp.

Paying my 200b with a shitty smile and salute would have been the better option. I accept it as part of life here now. Fighting it with your sense of morality and integrity can cause you a lot of grief.

Edited by thomo

Those bastard cops have ripped me off enough but it's hard to fight them without the lawbook.

Be careful when talking back to Thai buffalo Police, and telling them that they're wrong. Failing the attitude test may well cost a lot more time, money and headaches than just paying them the 200b and being on your way.

I found this out the hard way with my fully legal bike confiscated by 2 coppers refusing to give so much as their names, let alone any type of ticket. The bike would have disappeared no doubt. It cost me hours, a 1000b, and a scratch down the side of the fairing from him putting on the wheel clamp.

Paying my 200b with a shitty smile and salute would have been the better option. I accept it as part of life here now. Fighting it with your sense of morality and integrity can cause you a lot of grief.

I agree, talking back with law in hand does not work. They loose face for beeing wrong or trying to cheat you. They have ulimited power over you for 48 hours and over your bike until settled in court.

The bib working the 200 baht sceem does not carry visible name tags as supposed to, and its hard to get a good picture of their face wearing sunglasses and papermask, h-ll sometimes their even off duty and certanly have witnesses they where asleep at home;)

200 baht and smile, or avoid stopping. Lisence handed over, you belong to them.

Edited by katabeachbum

I agree, talking back with law in hand does not work. They loose face for beeing wrong or trying to cheat you. They have ulimited power over you for 48 hours and over your bike until settled in court.

The bib working the 200 baht sceem does not carry visible name tags as supposed to, and its hard to get a good picture of their face wearing sunglasses and papermask, h-ll sometimes their even off duty and certanly have witnesses they where asleep at home;)

200 baht and smile, or avoid stopping. Lisence handed over, you belong to them.

Just talking to them about anything but the (alleged?) offence with a smile on your face works pretty well for me. They soon get bored as they see all the other potential victims passing while you waste their time! Has even worked when they have got my licence in their hand, not that I hand it over if I can avoid it! :rolleyes: