3Bb Torrent Downloading Is Deadly Slow

mike3006

What kind of torrent? What kind of tracker? What package speed? How many users share the connection? How many seeds and peers on the torrent? Do you use the WiFi, LAN, USB connection? Where are you located?

What are your PC specs? Which operating system? Which torrent client?

It is dependant on the source of the files you are trying to download. if it is a file that is downlaoded from a single source, say on a website, you may get a fast download. If it is using torrents from many computers your are relying on other paople's computers being switched on and connected. It may be that you have most parts of the file but the last few bits are only available from a few places.

My 3BB sometimes gets downloads at 600 KB/s, sometimes down to single figures.

I feel it is appauling that any internet "provider" in LOS (Land of Scams) charges for this decrepit product. I think the entire country is decades behind other modern nations. While I lived in BKK my internet w/ True was adequate, but certainly filled with challenges. Since moving "up country" my internet use had gone to a dismal 236 kbps. I am not offered internet by TOT (govt owned/directed). The reason I must rely on an air card which again 1,2, call should NOT charge for b/c it's so so so slow I can take a shower while I'm hoping to send an email. However TOT tells us they only grant 20 internet connections in this village of approx 100+ families. They told us if someone dies or discontinues their connection the next person on the WAITING list will be offered internet. NOW how's that for 3rd world.????

This is a huge frustration for many of us living "up country."

The number of seeds or leechers makes little difference to the speeds I'm getting recently. Most of my downloads are from thebox which is a private tracker and usually very fast. At the moment I'm downloading a torrent with 769 seeds and 43 leechers and getting speeds of around 20KBS, this would have been downloading at around 300KBS last week. It's not important to me to get a fast download, I'm not in a hurry to watch stuff, but the upload speed is crucial with a private tracker. If you don't upload, your ratio drops and you get kicked out.

When I'm connected to other computers in Thailand my speeds are nearly what they used to be, so it's international bandwidth that's being restricted, not the torrents themselves.

We all know that torrent speeds are variable, but when you are regularly getting good speeds and then they suddenly drop, it usually indicates a problem with the line or ISP.

I'm on 3BB Premier.

I'm having the same issues with torrents on my 3BB 4Mb premier. Even well seeded torrents from a private tracker are slow going. It's only torrents, download speeds from other sources are fine. Is 3BB limiting torrents? I can see that happening if I'm subscribing to their cheap "indy" service, but I'm paying good money for their "Premier" service. I noticed they stopped offering Premier services below 5Mb.

Edited by prism

I'm having the same issues with torrents on my 3BB 4Mb premier. Even well seeded torrents from a private tracker are slow going. It's only torrents, download speeds from other sources are fine. Is 3BB limiting torrents? I can see that happening if I'm subscribing to their cheap "indy" service, but I'm paying good money for their "Premier" service. I noticed they stopped offering Premier services below 5Mb.

I am using their "cheap" indy 6MB service and currently uploading at my max which is 58kb/ps and have been downloading using private tracker at 700kb/ps.

The slowness being experienced by premier customers I think it has a lot to do with them upgrading premier to 5MB as the same thing happened when they upgraded indy 3mb to 4mb. Their 6mb service is no longer available and hoping for an upgrade to 8mb as it is now cheaper than their 6mb service.

Save your money go Indy.

I have had appaling speeds from 3BB since the World Cup started but as other posters mention since Wednesday it has literally gone into meltdown. It is nothing to do with the amount of seeders or the torrents sites, it is the fact that you cannot connect to any computer outside Thailand....the Thailand Wide Web. As I am writing this the speed has just slightly improved....pathetic at 40kB/s but at least its gone upwards. All my speed tests show I am getting less than 1MB even though I subscribe to 3BB's 10M Indy service. I have reported my problem to the call centre three times this week and nobody has done nothing. To me it does not matter if you are on Indy or premier, the whole system is screwed and of course there are no answers as to why. First time I've heard of a speed upgrade slowing the system down but what can you expect from totally incompetent ISP companies in this country.

Edited by eltelboy

My question is; what torrent client are you using? I live in the Victory Monument area and get excellent downloads using 3G / True Move / IEC / i-Kool / and another service (unnamed). I get crystal clear AVI files in just over two hours. I recode the avi's to DVD format, and voila - HD quality on my Sony LCD. I suspect you may have a transfer / speed modulation problem with your client settings. If you advise as to your client, I'll be glad to send a couple of neat tutorial links. Torrenting is art, technology, and intuition - served as a salad. Living in Thailand you need to add some spice. rolleyes.gif

Even in the US, I.P.s will throttle you - sometimes you need to adjust your system's wants against your torrenting needs.

The week before I was getting around 2.8 megs download on 3BBB Premier now that has been reduced to around 0.7 megs download.

For over two weeks my connection keep going down, I phoned and phoned, now its better.

Remember you are entitled to a refund when the service is crap, just head over to BBB's office and get a refund form. I did just that, and it appears that I am now excused from paying for the whole of July.

Edited by Hawk

• 1 year later...

I using Utorrent as client an Indy 9Mb. Before i had 3MB Premier. But it startet to work very slowly. 3BB was not able figure out the problem. So i changed to Indi 9/1. The first days, i downloaded with about 400-800kb. Thats ok. Now, only 2-20kb.

3BB ist not able to do something. Regular downloads on websites are fast. I am sure they throtheling p2p. Is there a way to resolve?

Yes, it is true. LOS=Land of scams. They take our money and give us a unbelievable service. I think about to change th ISP. But to who? Who the hell know which on is wirking correctly? I guess, no one.

Whenever I see problems with torrent speeds I hop on the VPN, prefer a server in Asia or Moscow, then it speeds right up. They may be doing some throttling on my side or something, VPN solves it just about every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever I see problems with torrent speeds I hop on the VPN, prefer a server in Asia or Moscow, then it speeds right up. They may be doing some throttling on my side or something, VPN solves it just about every time.

Don't suppose you can name them can you, I tried a couple ie YourPrivateVPN 6MBit package and got 1.5Mbit when trying to watch the Rugby World Cup ...