Gutted With Koh Samui

oldmajor

I have lived and worked in BKK for several years and have visited most regions / Islands.

I went to Samui 3 weeks ago on the way home from Koh Pangnan and was bitterly dissapointed. I flew home early. They must have an extremely talanted team of people to advertise Samui throughout the world.

Do you think that they ever have repeat business?

Granted, I was in Chweng (Excuse the spelling).

Samui is after Phuket the top touristic island destination in Thailand. If you have expected something else and if you have been only on the main beach, Chaweng, which you even can't spell correctly, the question arises, what did you expect??

samui and kpg are very different if you expected to travel across the bay from kpg to samui and find more of the same,you may have been disappointed but many tourist who enjoy samui will not want to go to kpg. btw i would a bet a measurable percentage of tourist are repeat guest.

You are a long time expat and you choose to spend your time in the biggest tourist trap on Samui. It's no reflection on the island whatsoever. i would not come back to Samui either if Chaweng was all i had to judge it by.

You should have been more adventurous and taken the time to see the real Samui and not cartoon town Chaweng.

You are a long time expat and you choose to spend your time in the biggest tourist trap on Samui. It's no reflection on the island whatsoever. i would not come back to Samui either if Chaweng was all i had to judge it by.

You should have been more adventurous and taken the time to see the real Samui and not cartoon town Chaweng.

Can hardly wait for his next thread......'old major speaks about bangla road....patong....etc.'

Fair comments from some.............. I see that the spelling police are out as well, as usual. Where do you get off correcting spelling. Do you know if English is my first language?

I think that the spelling of Thai words or names into English is pretty much phonetic. The street that I live on has 3 or 4 different spellings on the sign posts.

Anybody didn't know where I meant when I mentioned Chweng instead of Chaweng?

If you are happy to use words like "phonetic" in the correct sense, then I'm pretty sure English is your first language. So no excuse for spelling a MAJOR tourist destination that you visited and disliked incorrectly. Nowhere ever have I seen Chaweng spelt anything different. Maybe your observations need a little more development.

Fair comments from some.............. I see that the spelling police are out as well, as usual. Where do you get off correcting spelling. Do you know if English is my first language?

I think that the spelling of Thai words or names into English is pretty much phonetic. The street that I live on has 3 or 4 different spellings on the sign posts.

well said, I am dyslexic and I cannot spell my own name some times, Yes I know there are spell checkers but some of them are foreign (American English ).

well said, I am dyslexic and I cannot spell my own name some times, Yes I know there are spell checkers but some of them are foreign (American English ).

This is just distracting from the main point. The OP is yet to tell us what was so unpleasant about Samui.

I've never been to Koh Samui, haven't had a desire to. Or maybe, I'm too lazy to just drive over there and check it out. So, I don't want to go to Chewang.... Where would I want to go for a nice change of scenery? The scenery is quite nice where I live, so what's the nicest part of the island. I don't need bars or nightlife, just a quiet place with a nice beach and snorkeling would be fine. Are there still any nice little inexpensive bungalows around?

Edited by Jimi007

I haven't been to Koh Samui for four years but even I can still spell Chewang.

:lol: :lol:

I have 3 Thai driving maps in the truck, two of them refer to it as Chawang and the other Chaweng.

Plus all 3 maps refer to the islands there as:

Ko Samui

Ko Phangan

Ko Tao

You spelling flunkies need to back off & cut the guy some slack.

;)

Oh boy, what was the topic again? Is it Koh Samui or Ko Samui? I guess oldmajor was right, however you spell it. It must suck...unsure.gif

Ok I'll bite. Try googling 'Maenam'......we have trees on our beaches here....not row after row of deckchairs....;)

;)

Oh boy, what was the topic again? Is it Koh Samui or Ko Samui? I guess oldmajor was right, however you spell it. It must suck...unsure.gif

Ok I'll bite. Try googling 'Maenam'......we have trees on our beaches here....not row after row of deckchairs....;)

Looks okay, other than some of the prices. Where would you suggest as an okay place to stay? It would just be my Thai wife and I going somewhere for a short holiday. My neighbor will feed my dog for a few days... But I can think of other places that are about the same drive time that I'd also like to visit. I guess I'd have to check ferry times etc as well.

Interesting, when I ask nicely for information, I don't get any response. If I make a "trolling statement" I do!

PS: I know several beaches not far from my house with few, if any beach chairs and good coral reefs full of fish. Not all of Phuket is like Patong, or Kata.

Thanks for your reply!

Cheers, Jimi

I haven't been to Koh Samui for four years but even I can still spell Chewang.

:lol: :lol:

I have 3 Thai driving maps in the truck, two of them refer to it as Chawang and the other Chaweng.

Plus all 3 maps refer to the islands there as:

Ko Samui

Ko Phangan

Ko Tao

You spelling flunkies need to back off & cut the guy some slack.

I thought it was Patsy cracking a joke and i thought it was very funny OK. If it was'nt a joke it was STILL funny OK. Just plain simple fun, thats all. :whistling:

Looks okay, other than some of the prices. Where would you suggest as an okay place to stay? It would just be my Thai wife and I going somewhere for a short holiday. My neighbor will feed my dog for a few days... But I can think of other places that are about the same drive time that I'd also like to visit. I guess I'd have to check ferry times etc as well.

Interesting, when I ask nicely for information, I don't get any response. If I make a "trolling statement" I do!

PS: I know several beaches not far from my house with few, if any beach chairs and good coral reefs full of fish. Not all of Phuket is like Patong, or Kata.

Thanks for your reply!

Cheers, Jimi

If you want more specific info Jimi I suggest you post on the Samui forum for a better and wider response.

Good luck!

Phu-k-et

DSCN3915.jpg

yeah, Chaweng Beach, unbearable... overcrowded, polluted, noisy... I would stay away from it.. :rolleyes: in fact the whole of Samui...

DSCN3718.jpg

...just horrible..

DSCN3702-1.jpg

...and bear it for 20 odd years..

Edited by Samuian

Don't worry about the spelling nuts on here, many sign posts etc in Thailand are spelt in dittferent ways, Oh ! whoops ! sorry typo again.