Unforgettable Experience With Thai Lawyer In Chiang Mai

Carterjame

I got an unforgettable story about a friend of mine experience with Thai lawyer in Chiang Mai. My British friend has to get a lawyer to deal with his case. I was surprise about what the lawyer asked my friend to do….during hearing trial court (court of first instance) he required my friend to sign on Client's Agreement which consisted of giving him a power of attorney to appoint him to be a lawyer to handle with the case on Court Appeal and guess what he asked for more money in total amount of 80,000 baht. It was ridiculer. After my friend and me conversation and discussion we accessed in to the law firm website and found the head office does not qualify a lawyer or graduate any law degrees both in Thailand and Oversea and how come he appoints himself to be a legal consulting….it's incredible!! Finally, my friend decided to change new lawyer of course in Chiang Mai, to be honest this time he has to try hard and check lot of details such lawyer qualification, experience, area of practices and so on. Hopefully my friend's story might help you to choose a good lawyer to handle with your matter. Thank you for your patience of reading above long story.

Edited by Mario2008
name removed per forum rules, no naming and shaming

Clearly English is not your first language. I could not understand your story.

Iain

A Thai Native using a typical 'translator' ...:blink::ermm:

I understood the main points, didn't you ?

Edited by LJW

Titles seem to be a requirement of importance, even in social gatherings. Seems to be fairly common for someone to represent themselves as a professional without having ever started much less finished the educational process. I am such a skeptic that if I or anyone in family require a physician I want to see his certifications, diploma, etc.

Granted anyone can buy the paperwork off the street, but the English requirement for both professions, medical and law, can be a give away.

In England I always used the firm of Gimme Gimme & Gimme More Ltd.

They have branches worldwide.

Affiliated, if I am not mistaken, with Dewey, Schrewem & Howe.

My own preference is for Sioux, Grabbitt and Runn. Brilliant firm.

My own preference is for Sioux, Grabbitt and Runn. Brilliant firm.

Let me add to this impressive list two impeccable firms. Ngen Guu & By nai khor by and the even more prestigous: Noppadon & Sadet Pii. Sorry, but you may not become a client there without 7 figure retainers upfront

I have unfortunately needed several lawyers from CMai and I was surprised to see most do not have adequate qualifications. Well those whom service Farangs- point is that if they learn English and have some knowledge of 'Laws for Farangs' then they are qualified in their own mind. PLUS they can TRY to charge you like a wounded bull.

Yet 80,000 bt for a professional lawyer would be a very easy case. For budget lawyer whom competes with many others and can any sorts of qualification it can be a major case that you will lose if the other side has a good lawyer. Sometimes you get what you pay for but not always---- DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE and get referrals No 1 !!!

Many have BA in Arts or some crap from Thailand or via Web. As you can buy a BA in Law online. Those whom have real law degrees from OS or good BKK Uni's do not bother with middle end Farangs- they typically service the higher end of town being Rich Thai, Chinese, etc.

Larger companies typically will only use large international lawyers.

Glad to have got the name before being edited by a Mod for future reference. I understand the no naming and shaming rules can be used to harm, yet regrettably I believe it is a required service that should be offerred.

As we are meant to be able to share our own experiences of professionals, doctors, etc that we deal with for the benefit of all.

I could name and shame at least a half a dozen yet I cannot post their names... so many other Farangs will be done by them. Pity.

Iain

Even English it's not my first language, I try my best to share the story to everyone.

I really hope that my story might help the members to concern more about choosing a Lawyer.

Iain

And I don't understand your need to be so direct and negative. The Op didn't include the full details of the case involved, just an overview, I, and I would guess many other members, quickly grasped the essence of what he was sharing.

Diversity should be celebrated.

I got the gist of what he was saying.

However the title was misleading. I logged on thinking it was about a lawyer. Turned out to be a scammer.

I have had a little experience watching some Thai lawyers in action and If I needed one I would do some checking on there qualifications. A friend went through a messy divorce that on the face of it was a slam dunk for him. He however let the cost of a lawyer be his guiding light and lost big time.

Iain

And I don't understand your need to be so direct and negative. The Op didn't include the full details of the case involved, just an overview, I, and I would guess many other members, quickly grasped the essence of what he was sharing.

Diversity should be celebrated.

The OP is trying to help. Thank you to the OP. However, diversity should never be celebrated in and of itself. It's useless.

It takes courage to relate a story in a forum that dictates that the language used happens not to be the OP's "first language". The OP is to be applauded.

Or you could always use their London Agents, Wringham, Squeezem & Soakem.

Edited by Rumpole

Or you could always use their London Agents, Wringham, Squeezem & Soakem.

Or the newcastle lawyers ` Haddaway & Cacky !