Froyo For Desire

Gotcha #1: You need to check first if you have at least 25 MB memory on the phone (not the SDRAM). I didn't so had to delete a couple of apps before restarting the update.

EDIT:

@wimpy: Yes but this is the official HTC Sense version with full support for everything.

@Tywais: Yes I have the US version. I guess you will need to wait until the Thai update is ready.

Edited by Phil Conners

The interface is nchanged, nothing shows a different OS version on the home screen. A couple of the standard apps such as Google mail and messages have got minor updates/facelifts. It feels a little more snappy. It's got the wifi hotspot app. Other than that no big deal. A bit of an anticlimax actually ;)

The interface is nchanged, nothing shows a different OS version on the home screen. A couple of the standard apps such as Google mail and messages have got minor updates/facelifts. It feels a little more snappy. It's got the wifi hotspot app. Other than that no big deal. A bit of an anticlimax actually ;)

You should download Quadrant Standard and see how it benchmarks. The Hero is MUCH quicker than with overclocked Android 2.1. Almost as quick as the Desire running 2.1.

Edited by wimpy

Some sites (review) have mentioned increased speed of 2x-5x due to the JIT compiler. I find my Desire very fast already so don't know if one would see the difference without benchmarking it. ;)

+1 on the Thai script also now seems to be working fine, I have not tried voice dialing or compatibility with my plantronics bluetooth headset yet (which last time did not work) but am hopeful because this is said to have been improved too.

Overall definitely seems to be a bit snappier, but for some reason my battery drained faster than normal today (out of power by 2pm) but will have to go through and check my bkground apps and synchronisation settings.

Another grumble I had to reinstall my APNs for internet and mms access which was a drag, just glad I uploaded the docs and had this thread for reference!

Froyo changes

Overall:

- It's faster

- Multiple reports of battery lasting longer than with Eclair 2.1.

- Screen can now also be rotated to the right! (Found by martintzvetomirov)

- New Task Switcher when holding Home button. Displays 8 apps instead of 6. (Found by steve228uk)

- No more accidental screen activation by proximity sensor while talking with bluetooth. (Found by jordanxp)

- Android Cloud to Device Messaging support, Eg. ChromeToPhone to send links, maps directly to phone from chrome/firefox browser (Found by psycop)

Startup/Shutdown:

- Startup sound is reduced in volume (Found by iKarampa)

- Now vibrates on shutdown (Found by Domsdey)

- Shutdown time is reduced a lot (Found by psycho.ro)

New Apps:

- Launcher has been renamed from All Programs to All Apps (Found by steve228uk)

- HTC Share App

- News & Weather

- Videos

- Voice Search

- WiFi Hotspot

- Torchlight

- Search (Google)

- Pictures renamed to Gallery

Widgets:

- Calculator Widget (Found by jaymit)

- FM Radio Widget (Found by martintzvetomirov)

- Market Widget (Found by jaymit)

- When going to Shortcut > Bookmark, you know get a bookmark thumbnail (Found by steve228uk)

- Missing: Black HTC Search Widget (Found by MD1500)

Settings:

- Wireless Networks contains settings for WiFi Hotspot

- New menu for Screen settings.

- New menu for Speech settings.

- App screen is split up in 4 tabs: Downloaded | Only actived | All apps | On SD-Card

- New sound setting that allows lock/unlock sounds. (Found by loizoskounios)

- new volume settings that lets you independently change Ringtone, Media, Alarm and if seperate, Notification volume. (Found by aindow)

- Missing: Privacy menu, including the option for backup to SD card. (Found by gush)

Dialer Related:

- Dialer has new Android robot, kinda 3D looking one now.

- The slide bar for accepting a call now has a thin red and green line. (Found by loizoskounios)

Lockscreen:

- It's no longer possible to unlock the slide-down screen by pressing menu. (Found by kevano22)

- The screen unclock sequence can be set to engage after some minutes, or immediatly. (Better formulated by elek_it)

- Can now be a pattern lock, PIN lock or an alphanumeric password

- The lock pattern has grey middle buttons instead of black.

- Instead of just the time of the next alarm time. It also shows which day.

Keyboard:

- Keyboard now allows for Chinese input

- Keyboard now allows for quick language change.

- User dictionary no longer jumps to top when editing a word (Found by jaymit)

- Seperate screen for deleting user dictionary words, allowing for batch deleting.

- Bug: If keyboard is set to Russian (Pусский), pressing spacebar will output an exclamation mark "!" instead of a space (Found by monsterfly)

Browser:

- Adobe Flash 10.1 support is built in (make sure plugins are allowed in settings!) (Found by martintzvetomirov)

- Supports animated GIFs (Found by mscha)

- Files can now be uploaded through the browser (Found by mcgon1979)

- Now remembers bookmark order settings after reboot. (Found by doggie123)

- Downloads history is now categorized (e.g. today, tomorrow, last month) (Found by DimL)

- MP3 Streaming supported (Found by ix9)

- New flash & java features (Found by jaymit)

Calendar:

- Facebook events and birthdays are available in calendar. (Found by Sikacik)

Camera/Camcorder:

- Camera icons now rotate along with a smooth animation when rotating the phone (Found by @MARK)

- Camera takes pictures a lot faster than before (Found by The_Hawkster)

- 3 codecs to choose from: H.263, H.264 and MPEG-4

- 720p Recording possible with MPEG4 Codec.

- Zoom not available with 720p video recording. (Found by andrew2106)

- Flashlight can be set on during video recording. (Found by monsterfly)

Contacts

- Option to automatically send someone directly to voicemail now. (Already in 2.1 according to Bouncer5)

- Facebook tab has more features (Found by Mike1988)

- Linking contacts to Twitter now works properly (Found by jameson_uk)

FM Radio:

- FM Radio now has RDS support. (Found by thpoul)

- FM Radio no longer has Japan Mode (Found by aindow)

- Incoming text message no longer mutes FM Radio (Found by flashflash)

Friend Stream:

- Now shows time of post, amount of comments and amount of likes. (Found by kazgor)

Messaging:

- The bottom box to type text is bigger.

- Now shows how many characters you have left from the start.

- New icon for send.

- New icon for attaching something.

- Scrolls smoother when a conversation has a lot of messages.

- Can now send vCards as a SMS. (Found by psycho.ro)

- Deleting a message in a long thread, will no longer cause screen to jump to last received message. (Found by Sintel)

- Bug: UTF-8 issue with Greek sms still exists. (Found by thpoul)

Gallery:

- Icons from the Sharing menu are smaller. In portrait mode, all are visible in 1 view.

Gmail:

- Labels now have same color as those in Gmail on the web. (Found by @MARK)

- Now displays your email adres all the time in the upper-right corner.

- Displays a small icon of the person that send the mail if you have them in your address book.

- When viewing a mail, there are now buttons to go to the next and previous mail.

- Can copy text to clipboard now via menu button.

Google Talk

- New interface

Market:

- New option to allow automatic updates. (Found by jaymit)

- New seperate tab for app comments.

- Can now mark comments as: Useful, not useful and spam.

Music Player:

- When no cover available, the music note is now green.

- Pressing next has a much smoother CoverFlow animation

- Genres are fixed now.

- Pressing the left-button to open up the menu happens much faster.

- Shuffle seems better (not sure, but don't bump into same song that often anymore).

- Using the 'Add all songs' option in the menu will use the order current viewed (Album, Artist, Numbers, etc) (Found by jenom)

- Bug: Tags of WMA files are not read properly (Found by supasye)

Videos:

- .avi (DivX/XviD) support (According to robguerra)

Source