Keeping Pup Alive

In recent days i have purchased 2 german sheperd pups, 1 from chiangmai, as soon as i got the dog it was straight to a recognised clinic in pattaya to get him checked out, told everything fine. Kept the dog away from other dogs , regular trips to clinic, but at 3 months he died of parvo.

2nd dog came from friend in Korat, same again straight to clinic to get her checked over, same again no problems, strong dog, after 1st injection,a couple of days later,dog started to be very tired, back to clinic, they kept her in,3 days later she died, same again heart attack induced by parvo ???

Am i doing something wrong ?

Is this clinic doing something wrong ?

If i take a chance again on another german sheperd how do i keep it alive, my house is in 4rai of walled off land so the dog doesnt need to go out, i already have a 1 yr old german sheperd dog who has had all his injections and is ok at the moment although doesnt really have much of an appitite, and to me seems a bit thin, all advise on fattening my existing dog, and tips on keeping a new pup alive greatly appreciated

I'm very sorry about your experiences.

While reading your post some questions arrive:

What was the vaccine history of the pups before they came to you? Did they already receive a fist and maybe second vaccine? Many breeders give their pups a (combined) vaccine at an age as early as 6 weeks, some even give a pneumonia vaccines at an age of 4 weeks. This is a practice that is not backed-up by research. On the contrary, research has shown that this is not advisable, as chances are very high that the vaccine neutralizes the maternal immunity.

If the pups already received a vaccine, especially a combined MLV one and shortly after, that is 2 weeks, they receive another combined MLV one then chances increase considerable that the pup develops one of the diseases it was vaccinated for.

Research has shown that vaccinating a pup every two weeks will increase the risk on side-effects, especially when MLV vaccines are given. Combined vaccines also increases the risk on side-effects. Unfortunately many vets here still advice the owners to come in every two weeks to have their puppy vaccinated. Better is to give single vaccine with a month in between each jab. This is the same with the yearly boosters.

Also, when a puppy just changes home it is under stress; stress from the travel itself, from being separated from his mom and littermates and from changing environment. It is not advisable to vaccinate it then. Better to wait for a week or so till the pup has settled in and then give a jab if required.

BTW, there is also NO scientific back-up for annual boosters. On the contrary, there is much research done on the (serious) side-effects due to annual vaccination, and research has shown that when a pup has received its puppy vaccine and after one year a booster, they have anti-bodies for at least 5 year and often up to a life time.

Although most vet clinics are very clean, it's a place where sick animals are brought in and thus chances on over-exposure to one of the infectious diseases increase. When I bring in a pup for its first vaccine I prefer to hold it on my arm while it receives the jab; or maybe better have the vet come outside the clinic or to your house in stead.

Through the years I've seen many many side-effects from these vaccines, including: distemper, parvo virus, live failure, kidney failure, generalized demodectic mange in 2 -3 months old pups, meningitis, finicky eaters/appetite disorders, auto-immune skin disorders, hypothyroidism, epilepsy, swelling of the face, ongoing running eyes, ongoing itch and thus scratching and biting, flatulence, bloat, recurrent diarrhea or ongoing soft feces, bone deformation, eating strange things, fearfulness, anxiety, over-reaction to noise, and aggression.

If you like to receive some more specific in for on vacccines, risks on side-effects and protocol of the vaccines, please, send me a pm.

You should now wait more than 12 months till you try again as parvo virus can stay in the enviornment for at least 12 months after an infected animal as been there.Throughly cleanup the area of any faeces And of course follow the vacination requirements with your new pup and your other dog.

If your dog does get parvo, it can be treated firstly for dehydration and electrolyte imbalances with the administration of intravenous fluids containing electrolytes.

Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs should also be given. Also antispasmodic drugs should be used to stop the diarrhoea and vomiting.

With this treatment if started early, the chances of recovery are quite possible.

With German Shepherds, it is best not to fatten them up as you will risk many problems including hip dysplasia. You should be able to feel it's ribs and see the last couple.. Feed them a healthy balanced diet and a calcium supplement especially when they are growing rapidly.

Edited by aussiebrian

I'm very sorry about your experiences.

While reading your post some questions arrive:

What was the vaccine history of the pups before they came to you? Did they already receive a fist and maybe second vaccine? Many breeders give their pups a (combined) vaccine at an age as early as 6 weeks, some even give a pneumonia vaccines at an age of 4 weeks. This is a practice that is not backed-up by research. On the contrary, research has shown that this is not advisable, as chances are very high that the vaccine neutralizes the maternal immunity.

If the pups already received a vaccine, especially a combined MLV one and shortly after, that is 2 weeks, they receive another combined MLV one then chances increase considerable that the pup develops one of the diseases it was vaccinated for.

Research has shown that vaccinating a pup every two weeks will increase the risk on side-effects, especially when MLV vaccines are given. Combined vaccines also increases the risk on side-effects. Unfortunately many vets here still advice the owners to come in every two weeks to have their puppy vaccinated. Better is to give single vaccine with a month in between each jab. This is the same with the yearly boosters.

Also, when a puppy just changes home it is under stress; stress from the travel itself, from being separated from his mom and littermates and from changing environment. It is not advisable to vaccinate it then. Better to wait for a week or so till the pup has settled in and then give a jab if required.

BTW, there is also NO scientific back-up for annual boosters. On the contrary, there is much research done on the (serious) side-effects due to annual vaccination, and research has shown that when a pup has received its puppy vaccine and after one year a booster, they have anti-bodies for at least 5 year and often up to a life time.

Although most vet clinics are very clean, it's a place where sick animals are brought in and thus chances on over-exposure to one of the infectious diseases increase. When I bring in a pup for its first vaccine I prefer to hold it on my arm while it receives the jab; or maybe better have the vet come outside the clinic or to your house in stead.

Through the years I've seen many many side-effects from these vaccines, including: distemper, parvo virus, live failure, kidney failure, generalized demodectic mange in 2 -3 months old pups, meningitis, finicky eaters/appetite disorders, auto-immune skin disorders, hypothyroidism, epilepsy, swelling of the face, ongoing running eyes, ongoing itch and thus scratching and biting, flatulence, bloat, recurrent diarrhea or ongoing soft feces, bone deformation, eating strange things, fearfulness, anxiety, over-reaction to noise, and aggression.

If you like to receive some more specific in for on vacccines, risks on side-effects and protocol of the vaccines, please, send me a pm.

Thank you for your reply, in haste to ensure the dog is ok by getting the vet to check them out, it sounds like this could be a contributary factor to them dying, i will pm you at a later time if that is ok, as iam considering trying for another pup in about 3-4 months time

You should now wait more than 12 months till you try again as parvo virus can stay in the enviornment for at least 12 months after an infected animal as been there.Throughly cleanup the area of any faeces And of course follow the vacination requirements with your new pup and your other dog.

If your dog does get parvo, it can be treated firstly for dehydration and electrolyte imbalances with the administration of intravenous fluids containing electrolytes.

Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs should also be given. Also antispasmodic drugs should be used to stop the diarrhoea and vomiting.

With this treatment if started early, the chances of recovery are quite possible.

With German Shepherds, it is best not to fatten them up as you will risk many problems including hip dysplasia. You should be able to feel it's ribs and see the last couple.. Feed them a healthy balanced diet and a calcium supplement especially when they are growing rapidly.

Thanks for reply, when i noticed both dogs were ill , they were taken straight to the clinic, and kept in , i dont know if they pumped too many injections into them or what happened, but both had heart attacks and died

Picture is of Max the one we have managed to get to 1 yr old without dying

post-70880-087147800 1280720254_thumb.jp

i will pm you at a later time if that is ok, as iam considering trying for another pup in about 3-4 months time

Sure that's okay. The better you are informed the better decisions you can make. :)

... hhmmm, and the more questions arise ... ;)

I would be quite careful with the Calcium supplement. Calcium is quite a cheap ingredient and is normally sufficient in puppy food. Too much calcium can be as harmful as too little calcium in the diet.

I agree with being careful not to make the puppy (and adult) too fat. However, I rather see a layer over all the ribs, especially in puppies.