Tired Of Thailand

pmgthailand

instead of bitching & moaning & asking others what you should do on a forum, why not do something more conducive to your current situation? LEAVE LEAVE LEAVE

Because maybe they wanted to confirm others sentiments, to see if other areas of the island offer better solutions, to try to fix whats wrong rather than quit so easily..

The love it or leave it crowd sure are easy quitters.

Yes its like that here where I live (Isaan). When motorbikes just cut into the road without looking or someone driving will pull a U-Turn right on the main road without checking first for anyone coming I feel is their way of committing suicide or they believe in their (Phra) amulet a little too much and think nothing will harm them. Dont know where the "Land Of Smiles" came from because NO one smiles here and about Thailand especially here in Isaan with the "oh the people here are so nice and humble". Its true it is all about me, me, me here and I am always right. Thats why problems dont get solved easy here because everyone thinks their right and that they are never wrong. Apart from that the people I am close to here my family, my coworkers at the school I teach, my wifes coworkers at the school she teaches, and the teachers we know are ALL nice and humble and never ask anything from me.....yet. So about getting frustrated living here.... I always think to the people that Im close to for a reason to stay here and try not to let the OTHER people spoil my mood.

Thank you for the sensible and constructive posts. The reason that I started this post was to see if anybody else felt the same way as I do and that I was not alone in my about my perceptions of living here in Phuket and Thailand. It was not to just complain and criticize about life in Thailand but I had included some things that frustrate me here on a daily basis. If you do not criticize or complain about things then nothing will ever change and only get worse. Without an optimistic outlook about where you live, I feel that you cannot be truly content. Just my opinion.

Seaeagle-

" And this is one of the many things that winds me up about living here. They're always moaning, looking for ways to make more baht,"

" yet they won't change their attitude and behaviour and practices"

" - thieves and vagabonds, without any sense of community or common good. Self, self, self."

You realize you have just described half the expat population living in Thailand?

If you wish to take simple words from my post, and not even full sentences, you can take any inference you want by removing the context.

The majority of posters here seem quite happy with their lot, and don't support the OP. Fine. But consider that many of those who DO support the OP have already left., so aren't posting here.

Up to 2 years ago, there was a group of 9 of us guys, along with our families, who used to regularly meet, entertain, and go out together. The mix were retirees, employees and business owners who had been here for up to 17 years - a good spread. Now, only 2 are left, the rest have upped sticks and gone back to 'pastures old'.

The long and short of it are the outrageous costs of many things here now, the low quality of these things, education standards (Thailand is now worst in all of SE Asia according to a report I read last week), and the change of "Thai Culture" (LOL) from a welcoming one to an envious, greedy, aggressive, xenophobic outlook that is irreparably damaging this country.

• Like 1

Yes sometimes I get tired of Thailand but when that happens I think about the UK and that makes everything okay here again, as for rudeness here it is just there way adapt or leave, it is that simple. love Thailand and most of the people are very nice but will rip you off at every opportunity...

I lived in the UK for six years. I remember how amazed I was that people would push to the front of the queue when waiting for a London Transport double decker. It was so common that my girlfriend at the time got into a fight with a woman. She had just walked right in front of everyone and my gf asked her to go back to the end of the line and the fists started flying. Bad manners is not unique to Thailand.

I guess that I was lucky enough to grow up in a small community in Canada and when I moved back to Scotland I lived in a small seaside town. So I have never really had the misfortune to live in a large city like London. I know London well, I used to have to stay there for 10 days every year during the London Boat Show. Can't say that I liked it very much. I think that all large cities are the same, impersonal and just not very friendly. I think that some people revel in living in a large city and would be bored to tears living in a small community. I don't envy them. But to each their own. I feel that Phuket has this big city type of mentality now and I don't like where it is going. Everyone for themselves, no sense of community. I agree withsomeof the other OP's, time for me to move on. Thanks for some of the very sensible posts. :jap:

I lived in the UK for six years. I remember how amazed I was that people would push to the front of the queue when waiting for a London Transport double decker. It was so common that my girlfriend at the time got into a fight with a woman. She had just walked right in front of everyone and my gf asked her to go back to the end of the line and the fists started flying. Bad manners is not unique to Thailand.

I guess that I was lucky enough to grow up in a small community in Canada and when I moved back to Scotland I lived in a small seaside town.

Well at least the weather in Scotland must seem good compared to Canada.

Edited by harrry

instead of bitching & moaning & asking others what you should do on a forum, why not do something more conducive to your current situation? LEAVE LEAVE LEAVE

The OP has started a thread in which he expresses an opinion that the LOS is not living up to his hopes and expectations. He is asking if others feel the same way. Most of us are unhappy with our own countries and the mess that the politicians have made of them. It is not always easy for folk to just up and LEAVE. We often have personal and financial situations that make such an option impossible, as we gain more maturity and experience in life we realise that and can sympathise with the OP and his predicament. Life is not always a case of 'if you don't like it leave', such a mentality is not always the answer or even remotely practical.

Edited by yogi100

I lived in Niagara on the Lake, which is a wine growing region and a fruit belt. The climate was warm in the summer and not so cold in the winter.

I guess that I was lucky enough to grow up in a small community in Canada and when I moved back to Scotland I lived in a small seaside town.

Well at least the weather in Scotland must seem good compared to Canada.

If you wish to take simple words from my post, and not even full sentences, you can take any inference you want by removing the context.

The majority of posters here seem quite happy with their lot, and don't support the OP. Fine. But consider that many of those who DO support the OP have already left., so aren't posting here.

Up to 2 years ago, there was a group of 9 of us guys, along with our families, who used to regularly meet, entertain, and go out together. The mix were retirees, employees and business owners who had been here for up to 17 years - a good spread. Now, only 2 are left, the rest have upped sticks and gone back to 'pastures old'.

The long and short of it are the outrageous costs of many things here now, the low quality of these things, education standards (Thailand is now worst in all of SE Asia according to a report I read last week), and the change of "Thai Culture" (LOL) from a welcoming one to an envious, greedy, aggressive, xenophobic outlook that is irreparably damaging this country.

Fair enough, after 17 years its probably time for a change for anyone.

Yes, prices have increased- as thailand has been developing, prices have been going up (pushed by a growing middle class/ rising incomes of Thai's, more wealthy tourists/expat subgroups). In terms of Thai's being aggressive, xenophobic yes i have found this among those thai's that regularly mix with farang tourists, but just look at many of these tourists- drunk, obnoxious, not to bright, penny pinching, aggressive, scruffy- how long could anyone put up with them before becoming ' aggressive/xenophobic ' about them, hardly surprising.

Education- no way is Thailand worse than Laos, Cambodia.

The OP has started a thread in which he expresses an opinion that the LOS is not living up to his hopes and expectations. He is asking if others feel the same way. Most of us are unhappy with our own countries and the mess that the politicians have made of them. It is not always easy for folk to just up and LEAVE. We often have personal and financial situations that make such an option impossible, as we gain more maturity and experience in life we realise that and can sympathise with the OP and his predicament. Life is not always a case of 'if you don't like it leave', such a mentality is not always the answer or even remotely practical.

i realize it is not always easy for folks to just up and leave. you mention "most of us" being unhappy in our own countries and the mess the politicians have made of them...is that why you are in thailand? not a case for argument or badgering, just wondering. i am here for work, and i am mature enough to understand i couldn't just "up and leave", but with a bit of succession management/planning, i could be gone in less than six months if i wanted to be.

i am not against the OP, and my saying leave wasn't a personal attack on him...the OP and i have already discussed this personally.

i just feel that if you are extremely unhappy where you are and you feel no optimism/happiness in your situation, then it is time to leave and move on. and of course, this is just my opinion. :)

I've been here about the same amount of time as you, don't feel the same nor am I going to jump on the "leave - good riddance" bandwagon.

Life is about choices mate.

You wake up, you've got a choice: going to be a good day, I'm in a good mood, or this day is going to suck, I'm in a bad mood. Your choice.

Someone gets you angry driving here you have a choice, ignore it and move on, or let it bother you. Your choice.

Along the same lines, will you allow someone's inconsideration to bother you enough to put you in a foul mood, or you ignore. Your choice.

Attitude is everything, as someone once mentioned to me "today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday".

Now to The Clash "Should I stay or should I go". Your choice.

I couldn't agree more!

Phuket has many great attributes, its climate, its ocean, great dining options, international DJ's visiting, good enough hospitals, even the much complained about internet infrastructure is a blessing compared to 10 years ago or many other parts of Thailand.

But in the negative side of the column is a population of 'locals' who are often not local at all, and have come to Phuket to earn (prey) on the tourist population that visits. Without being patronizing many of these Thais, forced to travel for their work obviously also come from the poorer, less educated, more xenophobic and nationalistic, segments of thai society. As a farang, even one with some command of Thai and knowledge of local cultural systems, we will always immediately fall into the 'mark' side of the equation. Doesnt matter if you have lived there 10 years and the Thai you may come into conflict with arrived on the island last month, thats just how it works. Thailand is not a country where 'all men are created equal' and that applies to poor Thais as well as it does 'wealthy' farangs.

Of course one solution is to start walling yourself into an ivory tower, to interact as little as possible, to use the amenities, be highly insured, and try not to have interactions that can lead to conflicts. I know a few people (mostly surin villa types) who manage this quite well, but I would far rather become part of the community than encourage that kind of us and them divide. It seems to me, that people who really learn to simplify, who go more thai style, have less things to steal or get crashed into, may also manage ok (until the hammer fals ??). I know many (often older guys) who own little more than a suitcase of stuff in Thailand who enjoy that freedom.

Its about finding the balance that suits you, taking the good and minimizing the bad. Being careful to avoid those elements for whom you are a source of income to be preyed on. If your finding yourself falling into that mindset of constant anger or frustration, and your not fixed by a job or kids, travel around the region. I spend less travelling than I do living at home and travelling both reminds me of the services I like about phuket and re-affirms my faith in more normal, less tourist zone Thai attitudes.

I also quite like this one.

I feel a lot of sympathy with the OP, and if things don't work out well for someone, he or she certainly deserve all the support to get on with life and make changes to it. Such is life.

If it were me, I'd be glad to be returning to Scotland also. I wish you (the OP) all the best. I've made my life in Thailand and I have mostly Thai friends but I think there are better people in the world. Certainly on the whole they have a tendency to be quite childish. They are often a bit of a sad joke. With the recent politics and the lack of respect for both democracy and the rule of law, it's become even more of a laughing stock. I can't help feeling that they've got the politics they deserve. But, people can have a good life here on the whole, accepting its warts.

Dear pmgthailand, it saddens me to read how most of the expats living in Phuket are replying to your post with sarcasm and ignorance.

I left Phuket after living there for 2 and half year and I will only go back the day I sign the deeds of the sale of my apartment.

If for most of the expats it is the cheap food, the cheap sex, the cheap standard of living that make Thailand such a fantastic place to live, well, good luck to them. I certainly would't want to invite any of them to my dinner parties!!

oh.. I forgot to mention "culture". Anytime I asked an ex pat to give me expamples of thai culture no reply has ever been forthcoming. Just a big blank..

I once met an expat who was proud to be able to live on 80-100 baht a day (without the booze). "I could never do this back in my country" he said. I suppose that was one of the main reasons for staying put in the land of smiles.

I am a tough cookie and I do not find thai men particularly attractive, so I can say that I have never been deceived into parting with my money even though I had a biz in Patong. But it was the continous little rip-offs that got me in the end.

I know at least 4 adult foreigners who have cried to me... desperate to sell their business and leave thiland behind and for good.

I have had many very bad experiences during my staying in Phuket.. the final straw being me being attacked by a katoi because he said I was too beautiful and I was going to take the customers away from him. He mistook me for a russian prostitute.

I now live in Bali where I intend to stay and start all over again. The interaction with the balinese people is fantastic. None of the expats who replied to your post mentioned Bali as alternative... perhaps you should give it a shot. Come over for a short holiday and see it for your self.

Leave Thailand and if, like me you are not ready to go back to your home country, come visit Bali.

I think when people are living anywhere and become unhappy they only think about the things that make them feel that way.

When thinking about where they used to live they only remember the good things that made them happy.

The best thing to do is return to your home country and then you will remember the reasons you left to live in Thailand.

As far as the cost of living is concerned i am sure you will get a shock when you return home.

As far as the friendliness of Thai people are concerned smile and you will get a smile back.

The most miserable looking people here are not Thais in my opinion.

When you travel to other Asian country's you will find Thailand is still the land of smiles

I think when people are living anywhere and become unhappy they only think about the things that make them feel that way.

When thinking about where they used to live they only remember the good things that made them happy.

The best thing to do is return to your home country and then you will remember the reasons you left to live in Thailand.

As far as the cost of living is concerned i am sure you will get a shock when you return home.

As far as the friendliness of Thai people are concerned smile and you will get a smile back.

When you travel to other Asian country's you will find Thailand is still the land of smiles

After spending years inThailand I came to realise that the smile that everybody so innocently falls for, it is not a natural, genuine expression, but a permanent fixed rictus.

..... and it seems to work everytime!!!

After spending years inThailand I came to realise that the smile that everybody so innocently falls for, it is not a natural, genuine expression, but a permanent fixed rictus.

Well i have a different opinion to you, i think a lot depends on your own attitude

I am not talking about the stall holders in Patong but Thai people in general

The stall holders are no different to stall holders anywhere else in the world.

Well i have a different opinion to you, i think a lot depends on your own attitude

I am not talking about the stall holders in Patong but Thai people in general

The stall holders are no different to stall holders anywhere else in the world.

And what kind of attitude one must have to avoid being punched by a katoy simply for looking the way one looks?

My former staff told me I was lucky he didn't throw acid on my face as some of them actually carry a little bottle of it with them.

Perhaps the attitude you are implying is passive acceptance. Not me, thank you.

• Like 2

In Thailand or in tiny Phuket? Having conflicts with catoyes, can I assume Patong is your experience of Thailand? :rolleyes:

>>I now live in Bali where I intend to stay and start all over again. The interaction with the balinese people is fantastic. None of the expats who replied to your post mentioned Bali as alternative

Is there a big yacht industry in Bali :)? OP works in that industry so please enlighten us that haven't had the crappy experience that you've had in Phuket.

• Like 1

>>I now live in Bali where I intend to stay and start all over again. The interaction with the balinese people is fantastic. None of the expats who replied to your post mentioned Bali as alternative

Is there a big yacht industry in Bali :)? OP works in that industry so please enlighten us that haven't had the crappy experience that you've had in Phuket.

I t does not take long to work out that a lot of people who do negative posts on this forum no longer live here.

Some never have, the only place they know is Bangla Road which does not represent Phuket, Thai people or Thailand.

In Thailand or in tiny Phuket? Having conflicts with catoyes, can I assume Patong is your experience of Thailand? :rolleyes:

I could not agree more with you, a lot of the negative posters never leave Patong and think it represents Thailand.

Sorry, but I am dashing out to a party in Ubud.. I promise I will ask my friends about the yacht industry over here and let you know asap. Nusa Dua seems to have a lovely marina. I believe it is called Tanjung Bemoa.

ps. no crappy experiences so far.. and my low level of tolerance is notorious :))

Yes shocked at how cheap that second hand beemer or range rover is.. Shocked at how cheap name brand items can be bought..

Really if you want a nice lifestyle here it aint that much cheaper.. plus its so much easier to make money there.

But thats been done to death in other threads.

I am not married to Thailand, and easily would be able to move on if required, but as I am around in Asia 180 days a year and see how the conditions are at other places, I have to acknowledge somehow that Thailand, with all its many flaws and annoyances, is still the best bet. Malaysia would be very good for me as well, if there was not that particular religious hypocrisy prevalent, trying to turn that country slowly into a TALIBANAYSIA.

BORNEO, though, will always be an option for the future, as there is little such religious hypocrisy and people of one specific religion are not the majority in Borneo's states of Sabah and Sarawak.

• Like 1