Foreigner Killed In Motorbike Crash On Patong Hill, Phuket

webfact

'Farang' killed in motorbike crash on Patong Hill, Phuket

phuket-1-alyyYSm.jpg

The accident occurred up the hill from the 'Patong Hill Sinkhole'

that opened unexpectedly in August last year. File photo.

PHUKET: -- Police are trying to learn the identity of a Caucasian man killed early Sunday morning in a motorcycle accident on Phuket’s infamous Patong Hill road.

Kathu Police Duty Officer Nitikorn Rawang received a report of the accident at 4am yesterday. Together with Kusoldharm Foundation workers he rushed to the scene at Kuan Yang curve on Phra Barami Road where they found the body of a Caucasian man with massive head injuries.

Lying near the dead body were two injured Thai men, one of whom was later identified as Tossaphol Muangdee, 23.

Mr Tossaphol was taken to Patong Hospital. The other Thai man, whose name was not reported, was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town.

A Yamaha Fino presumably operated by the deceased and Mr Tossaphol’s Honda Click were found badly damaged at the scene. There were no helmets found in the vicinity.

Kusoldharm Foundation rescue worker “Aod”, who was at the scene, speculated that the deceased was riding uphill from Patong, approaching the San Chao Phor Suea (Tiger God Chinese Shrine), and Mr Tossaphol was coming downhill in the opposite direction when the two motorbikes collided.

The curve is a notorious spot for traffic accidents, Mr Aod added.

Most local motorbike and car operators beep their horns three times for good luck when passing the shrine, which is at the highest point on the road pass.

Anyone with possible information as to the identity of the deceased is asked to call the Kathu Police: 076-342719/21.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-08-02

My condolences to the man, and his family, and hope the other man is ok as well, but can't help notice the sentence..."There were no helmets found in the vicinity." When are people going to learn.

Two weeks ago I was teaching my 15 yr old niece how to drive a motorbike here in our moo ban. I was sitting behind her and she was doing fine in about 3 trips around, but on the 4th, she misjudged a turn, panicked a little and instead of using the break, she twisted the throttle by mistake. Bike shot forward about 5 feet, struck the curb at an angle and I went flying....head first into a tree truck about 14" in diameter. at about 15kph. Fortunately, as I had told her earlier, NEVER get on a bike, even just in the moo ban, without a helmet. She was fine, with some scrapes on her left knee and foot, and so was I, other than a slight head ache that went away after about an hour. The impact of helmet against tree smashed a good patch of bark and later I found some spiderweb cracks in the helmet, which has since been trashed and a new one purchased, but can't help but speculate what might have happened if I hadn't been wearing it.

• Like 1

The dead farang was a poster on Phuket info, along with some of his family (cousin etc) so it hits close to home.

Theres a few suspicious things about the accident, but the fact remains its a dangerous road and hes dead, nothing brings him back.

RIP.

Just a quick update to remind you all that Helmets do save lives! – It might not be cool, but who cares? Who gives a f*** if your hair needs a bit of tending to after you take your helmet off!? – Would you prefer to be dead?

Sadly, I make this post because a very close family member of mine has recently been struck while coming up Patong Hill on his scooter – the 2 people on the other bike are currently in hospital while my cousin died at the scene. No 1 in this crash had a helmet on!!!!

Any western person can look at Thailand’s driving and realize it is not safe! Its pretty obvious, yet people still take the risk as if it will not happen to them! Guess what, it will if you are not careful! Phuket, Patong, Kamala, Kathu are beautiful places to live or visit, but the roads in these area’s are not safe and extreme caution should be taken!

That is all!

RIP – Adam J Sutcliffe – Loved By Many, Forgotten By None!

Edited by LivinginKata
URLs removed
  • Like 1

RIP

did the farang not have any ID at all ? even a wallet ?...

Depends who got there first.

RIP to the victim and condolences to friends and family.

Footnote: Pretty sick to put the picture of the sink hole under the headline. Of course you didn't want anyone to assume the death was caused by driving into the sink hole, did you?

Footnote: Pretty sick to put the picture of the sink hole under the headline. Of course you didn't want anyone to assume the death was caused by driving into the sink hole, did you?

Not only do we have to endure misleading headlines but now misleading photos. Might as well put that photo alongside a story about the price of fish in China.

Not only do we have to endure misleading headlines but now misleading photos. Might as well put that photo alongside a story about the price of fish in China.

Phuket Gazette really needs to add this to the front page under their title-

"The Island's source of misinformation and overpriced real estate"