Shopping In Penang

Mosha

That's such a broad question. :unsure: I'm not sure what would be significantly cheaper in Penang than Thailand.

Anyhow, Prangin Mall is dull.

I assume Bangkok bookshops are better than in Penang.

Thanks, Penang is closer than BKK LOL

The most upmarket shopping mall is Gurney Plaza on Gurney Drive next to the G Hotel.

We found clothes shopping cheaper in there than in Bangkok and Pattaya,for instance.

Note that the Ground floor shops were a bit expensive and the bargains were to be found on Levels 1 and 2.

But Gurney Plaza nice to wander around and some decent eateries just outside plus a hawker centre nearby,turn left out of the main entrance.

Also Queensbay Mall,heading towards the airport,more of the same.

Nightmarket on Batu Ferringhi,open from 6pm,selling genuine fake watches,handbags etc.(Rolex,Cartier,Chanel,Louis Vuitton).....if you go dont forget to barter.....price is quite often only 50% of what they originally ask.

One thing in Penang that is a lot more expensive than Thailand is beer.......expect to pay anything between 150-250 baht for a large beer in an ordinary restaurant.

Sorry,didnt really notice the bookshops.....but I'm sure there are plenty.

That's such a broad question. :unsure: I'm not sure what would be significantly cheaper in Penang than Thailand.

Anyhow, Prangin Mall is dull.

I assume Bangkok bookshops are better than in Penang.

Prangin mall may be urbane but it is fantastic shopping , much better quality and price than Thailand especially for ladies shoes. I've never seen such a collection of shoe stores- must be dozens..

It also has a huge bookstore.

It sells a lot of winter wear and suitcases too and always better quality.

I Like Georgetown , Penang, never feel like an Alien like I do in Tland

I Like Georgetown , Penang, never feel like an Alien like I do in Tland

I concur...

Coming from Thailand ,Malaysia feels very civilised and English is a living language not a museum piece.

If you try to live in Malaysia though that's another thing altogether..

None of the three ethnic groups of Malaysia is particularly friendly to westerners(each for its own reasons)

So you will be feeling like an outsider....unless you happen to own a 'beaver' ...

Old codgers,who DON'T DRINK will find Msia an excellent place to retire though..

Interesting thread as i've just returned from Langkawi / Penang with my Thai partner.

Penang is an enigma for me, lots going for it (familliarity for Europeans regarding history and architecture) but negated by racial/social restrictions looked over by the Malays. This unfortunately gives the place it's edge and uncertainty which is ok for a short while but the more i scratch , the more i see the thin veneer covering a multitude of racial / social problems.

Also, the persistent staring / attitude of the men of the 3 major ethnic groups becomes very tiresome on someone who can't just let that go......frankly i would never feel secure that my other half was in a safe environment when i was not with her - which she would not be essentially.

Ironically she loved Penang, because on the surface it is civilised, has beautiful architecture,history, one way streets etc. Unfortunately that is window dressing and my experience is, it's ok for a break from BKK but as an alternative to Thailand.(which is what i was considering)....NO WAY!!