Bkk Retirement Extension Experience

Well, I just renewed my retirement visa at the "new" Immigration offices in Bangkok, and the difference from last time was like night and day.

I'd gotten into the habit of arriving early, hoping for a seat. I used to wait for at least one hour, some times as long as two. The immigration officer was always grim, and though the process typically took only 20-30 minutes, the experience overall was not pleasant.

As usual, when I got to the door (about 10 minutes before opening) there was a queue of about 30-40 people. When the doors opened, I was quickly (1-2 minutes?) at the desk and given a ticket. Lo and behold, it was number 7! The section where I was directed had plenty of seats and they were at least slightly padded.

After waiting only 10 minutes (vs. the 1-2 hours), I sat down in front of an unusually cheery officer, and she promptly took my papers and started looking through them. Contrary to the last few times, the only copies she wanted were the passport, arrival/departure ticket, and the last reporting resceipt, all of which were naturally returned to me. She only wanted to see my income affadavit from the embassy, the TM7 application, and the Statement and Acknowledgement forms (no copies). She had no interest in my bank statement nor bank books. She didn't even want the medical certificate. When I asked her about it, she responded "You look healthy"!

She took my money, and after getting me a receipt directed me to another officer who quickly initialled the passport. I was done. Total time 10 minutes!

The only downside is that the new immigration offices are hel_l and gone from where I live (Thong Lo). Since I had gone early, I was stuck in rush hour traffic and total travel time was nearly 2 hours, even considering I travelled most of the distance by Skytrain and subway, which are phenomenally efficient ways to travel around Bangkok.

Thanks for the upgrade!

Edited by Hurricane51

More nice things to say about Chaengwattana. Although it amuses me when people complain about how hard it is to get to, when it isn't that hard. Its not so far from Morchit BTS by taxi and lots of vans go right past. And for endless years those of use who lived in the burbs had been making the equally long journey to Suan Plu. :lol:

Another alternative is to take subway to Hualaphong, then a train to Laksi (4-20 baht, depending on the type of train), then a motorcyle taxi. The trip is about the cheapest alternative, but more importantly, I enjoy it much more than using the highways! - you meet interesting people and the time passes quickly. You can get a timetable at the train station or online. I find that I can be back at Hualaphong well before noon!

To OP:

The CW Immo officer didn't need to see your bank book because it seems you weren't using the combo method (retirement income + Thai bank account).

But I am a bit concerned that she asked to see your 90-day report. When I went in April, no one asked to see my 90-day report. And they never have in previous years.

I realize they are trying to distribute the client caseload by encouraging ex-pats to go to their nearest Immo office.

But I choose to live in two cities (Phuket and Bangkok). I do most of my 90-day reports in Phuket and my annual renewal in Bangkok.

I hope to keep it that way and see no official reason why I can't.

Ok Mario, I'll take that risk -- in order to save the 2,000 baht return-trip travel between Phuket and Bangkok.

As stated, I maintain two residences in Thailand: one in Bangkok (as indicated on my car driver's license), and one in Phuket (as indicated on my motorcycle driver's license).

I see nothing in Immigration law that says I must have a single residence.

And Phuket Immo has never even looked inside my passport when processing the 90-day report.

I'll report back if they do however.

Until then,

TN

More nice things to say about Chaengwattana. Although it amuses me when people complain about how hard it is to get to, when it isn't that hard. Its not so far from Morchit BTS by taxi and lots of vans go right past. And for endless years those of use who lived in the burbs had been making the equally long journey to Suan Plu. :lol:

Like I said, the trip on the underground was a breeze. It took more than an hour to get from the station to immigration by TAXI!

You have to use the immigration office for the area where you live, including for your 90 day report. Shopping is no longer allowed. If you get your extension in BKK, Phuket can deny your 90 day report for that reason.

I live outside Bangkok.

My 'local' immigration office is, as of now Nakhon Pathom. Previoiusly, I used Kanchanaburi for six years.

On my 'farewell' visit to Kanchanaburi, having said my thanks and goodbyes, I was informed by the senior officer that I can continue to use Kanchanaburi for my 90 day reports, and to obtain re-entry permits as needed.

She did emphasise for Permission to Stay extensions I MUST use the sevices of Nakhon Pathom.

Having taken her at her word, I continue to have no problems doing 90 day reports at Kanchanaburi, despite it NOT being my official local office.

Thanks, Dah Fahrang, for reporting your experience.

I'd just like to add a postscript on the 90-day reporting issue, and suggest why it might not necessarily be linked to the location of the annual extension request.

During my last retirement extension request in April, I asked a senior official at Immo/CW what the purpose of the 90-day report is.

She said it is "to help the police locate you if you have a problem."

I didn't probe as to the nature of what kind of 'problem' she meant.

But the way she phrased it, she implied that they need the latest residence information if the ex-pat is "wanted" in a legal sense.

If that is the case, then the ex-pat would be helping the police by doing the 90-day report at the Immo office nearest to their de facto residence on the date due.