Thai Attitudes To Smells

thepanicandthevomit

There seems to be two issues here:

A. People who smell by choice..ie.poor hygiene or poor lifestyle habits.

and:

B. People who smell due to sickness,as to which, they really can't do much about it.

One interesting thing though. I once worked with a woman who had some sort of chronic gum disease.

Now if you think of all the bad smells you have experienced in a lifetime and pooled them together, that smell could be likened to a sparrows fart compared to the odour coming from this poor womans mouth.

Most people, on initial contact, would feel disdain, and even anger at why she would subject people to this, but when they learned of the realities of the situation (me included) they would often feel quite sorry for her and disgusted by their own initial thoughts and reactions.

So i guess such a person is worthy of compassion.

Gee, d'you think? :rolleyes:

As to the OP's question of whether a thai would be treated the same way..Im sure a thai would have taken steps and go fix him/herself up before getting on the BTS. Surley there were steps the OP could have taken, for whatever the situation may require..least of which,visiting a mens room, using a bum gun,deodorant, chewing gum ect ect

No, there weren't; and i doubt a bit of gum would've made much difference - another for the advertisers here!

FWIW I nearly died after that bout of food poisoning. I started vomiting when I got back to my apartment and didn't stop until I was rushed to hospital 48 hours later, after passing into a coma. I drank 20 litres of water during those 2 days and didn't piss once - the vomiting was out of this world - just like turning a hosepipe on and off, and quite unlike any other food poisoning I've ever had. The dehydration was unreal - all my muscles seized up at once, meaning I was unable to even walk to the bathroom to be sick. My thumb froze to my little finger, meaning I couldn't even open the door, at least not for a while. In hospital, I was on saline drips for 4 days and antibiotics for 10.

In Thailand, as everywhere; weakest to the wall.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is mate, all people do not like smelly people......... not just Thai's.

Got a story for you, back in the day travelling on the district line there

was quite a large population of indians and pakistani people travelling.

When they got on the tube they would stink the place up with their foulness

and we would all squeeze our nose and be even more rude then the Thai

people you encountered as we would actually tell them they needed a bath.

Conclusion: move to India or Pakistan............they will not mind your stink.

Oh really? So you're stating categorically that you *personally* approached south asians on the district line and told them to their faces they smelled? Interesting...

You find that interesting............... not only are you smelly but your boring aswell.

'TheLaughingMan' timestamp='1281098334' post='3799334']

'zzaa09' timestamp='1281097568' post='3799313'thepanicandthevomit' timestamp='1281091214' post='3799078']

After reading the excuses and complaints here by some of the posters I now fully understand why falangs stink. You really just dont get it, or you just dont care.

What do you mean?

Perhaps, TheLaughingMan is projecting a round-about loosely fitting metaphor: stinking equating to other character traits. As he proposes the ideal of "not getting it", this factors in quite well towards broad descriptions.

Wasn't being subtle... thought it was pretty clear. Falangs dont seem to understand that if you are out sweating all day you will stink if you do not bathe. It seems to escape many people, on this thread its obvious many do not "get it". Or they know and they don't care.

Wake up, shower. Go out, land up sweating from walking around in the heat or I train, shower as soon as I get home or finish at the gym. If I had 2 training sessions in one day... OMG I SHOWER TWICE! lol This just doesnt seem to make sense to people. Takes all of 3 minutes to shower and feels good too, why is this such a problem?

So what you are trying to express to us unwashed masses is , despite being sweaty from the heat and perspiring , you emit NO ODOR because you shower when you arrive home ., and whilst in transit ? Your all of 3 minutes is AFTER THE FACT , you do not 'GET IT ' either apparantly .=, your own odor that is .

Panicandvomit, perhaps you should start an organization to fight this societal sickness, this creeping fascism, an organization of manly men, not affraid to make a statement with their aroma.. What to call such a group? Any ideas from forum?

Well, I am thinking of setting up a men-only political party. However, I'm selective about membership, so bad luck mate.

Oh really? So you're stating categorically that you *personally* approached south asians on the district line and told them to their faces they smelled? Interesting...

You find that interesting............... not only are you smelly but your boring aswell.

And I don't think I need say what you are - your post was VERY revealing!

'zzaa09' timestamp='1281097568' post='3799313'thepanicandthevomit' timestamp='1281091214' post='3799078']

After reading the excuses and complaints here by some of the posters I now fully understand why falangs stink. You really just dont get it, or you just dont care.

What do you mean?

Perhaps, TheLaughingMan is projecting a round-about loosely fitting metaphor: stinking equating to other character traits. As he proposes the ideal of "not getting it", this factors in quite well towards broad descriptions.

Wasn't being subtle... thought it was pretty clear. Falangs dont seem to understand that if you are out sweating all day you will stink if you do not bathe. It seems to escape many people, on this thread its obvious many do not "get it". Or they know and they don't care.

Wake up, shower. Go out, land up sweating from walking around in the heat or I train, shower as soon as I get home or finish at the gym. If I had 2 training sessions in one day... OMG I SHOWER TWICE! lol This just doesnt seem to make sense to people. Takes all of 3 minutes to shower and feels good too, why is this such a problem?

So what you are trying to express to us unwashed masses is , despite being sweaty from the heat and perspiring , you emit NO ODOR because you shower when you arrive home ., and whilst in transit ? Your all of 3 minutes is AFTER THE FACT , you do not 'GET IT ' either apparantly .=, your own odor that is .

Perhaps he has a portable shower? (Now that's a good business idea to flog to the gullible and feeble-minded).

Panicandvomit, perhaps you should start an organization to fight this societal sickness, this creeping fascism, an organization of manly men, not affraid to make a statement with their aroma.. What to call such a group? Any ideas from forum?

How 'bout "The Uncanny Stenchmen" :whistling:

What do you mean?

See its completely lost on you smelly people. If you shower REGULARLY, then the combined smell of your activities between showers is negligible. So in that regard, youre right, I DONT smell. I dont let it add up to the point of offending everyone around me, unlike those of you that think showering twice per week is "good nuff".:lol:

I would love to here what you think I am from a couple of half assed posts on

a internet forum.

What do you mean?

See its completely lost on you smelly people. If you shower REGULARLY, then the combined smell of your activities between showers is negligible. So in that regard, youre right, I DONT smell. I dont let it add up to the point of offending everyone around me, unlike those of you that think showering twice per week is "good nuff".:lol:

Twice a week, good heavens no, some on here probably think that bathing twice a year whether they need to or not is a good thing...Oh well there is a drought...

[

I would love to here what you think I am from a couple of half assed posts on

a internet forum.

No need for me to elaborate, I'll just c'n'p your words. Talk about being hung by your own petard!

I think we can all draw our own conclusions there, don't you?

Get real panicandvomit, yeah there are some people who smell for medical reasons, but there are IMO a lot of people who are just plain lazy smelly feckers, who again IMO are just plain old non showering non bathing stink factories. :hit-the-fan:

Yes you could conclude that I have the balls to tell people who are offending

me what I think and not just keep it to myself like a wasteman wimp of a man.

Maybe you are one of these people who are scared of people................ god

dam_n it I just realised why you keep shitting yourself on the skytrain.

I think if those Thai people you were stinking out could speak the same language

as you they probably would have gave you a piece of their mind and would be

somewhere on the lines of go back to where you come from farang............... and

they would be quite right to say so to a visitor who will enter public transport with

no regard for other passengers.

He that has never had a wet fart among you, let him first cast a stone ...

A wet fart with excess moisture etc, is normally a sign of impending diarrhea, so at the first time/sign of a wet one, run like hel_l to the nearest toilet before the :hit-the-fan:

Can we class wet ones as a medical condition.. :ermm:

I just knew this was going to be one shi**y thread, but quite amusing in parts..

Edited by MB1

Get real panicandvomit, yeah there are some people who smell for medical reasons, but there are IMO a lot of people who are just plain lazy smelly feckers, who again IMO are just plain old non showering non bathing stink factories. :hit-the-fan:

Yes, but the point remains: how do you know?

And the disturbing element of our psyche is, why does it bother people so much? Why, when there are mountains of rubbish and open sewers everywhere, does common or garden human body odour get so much attention? Is it not disproportionate?

It is truly frightening how easily some people are manipulated.

Edited by thepanicandthevomit

And the disturbing element of our physique is, why does it bother people so much? Why, when there are mountains of rubbish and open sewers everywhere, does common or garden human body odour get so much attention? Is it not disproportionate?

Interesting point. Maybe this is a morality issue in Thailand. Thais don't seem to take much moral responsibility for the tragic state of so many PUBLIC spaces, but privates spaces like the body, that's another matter.

Yes you could conclude that I have the balls to tell people who are offending

me what I think and not just keep it to myself like a wasteman wimp of a man.

Maybe you are one of these people who are scared of people................ god

dam_n it I just realised why you keep shitting yourself on the skytrain.

I think if those Thai people you were stinking out could speak the same language

as you they probably would have gave you a piece of their mind and would be

somewhere on the lines of go back to where you come from farang............... and

they would be quite right to say so to a visitor who will enter public transport with

no regard for other passengers.

:blink:

Christ, you're not making it any better for yourself!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And the disturbing element of our physique is, why does it bother people so much? Why, when there are mountains of rubbish and open sewers everywhere, does common or garden human body odour get so much attention? Is it not disproportionate?

Interesting point. Maybe this is a morality issue in Thailand. Thais don't seem to take much moral responsibility for the tragic state of so many PUBLIC spaces, but privates spaces like the body, that's another matter.

Again, you're getting to the heart of the issue - we've had 5 pages of people who don't get this at all, so it's nice when someone sees past the rumour, tittle-tattle and oneupmanship, and gets to the heart of the matter.

A defence mechanism instantly springs up when smell is mentioned - personal smell is taboo, whereas collective smell is not. Why should that be?

Again, you're getting to the heart of the issue - we've had 5 pages of people who don't get this at all, so it's nice when someone sees past the rumour, tittle-tattle and oneupmanship, and gets to the heart of the matter.

A defence mechanism instantly springs up when smell is mentioned - personal smell is taboo, whereas collective smell is not. Why should that be?

They could be just a ....

post-90977-069739900 1281106189_thumb.jp

Official Nomination for the Most Scatological Thread of the Year Award ...

And one for you...Might be wet one...might use it as an avatar before someone nicks it..

post-90977-086819300 1281106291_thumb.jp

Edited by MB1

They could be just a ....

That reminds me, there was a kid at school, who turned up just before we left, and stank terribly. One of our PE teachers - a sadistic bastard, obviously - nicknamed him BumFart, which we all thought hilarious. All the kids and all the teachers used to call him it. He killed himself a few years later - it was very sad to later learn the upbringing he had had and why he arrived in the state he did.

Official Nomination for the Most Scatological Thread of the Year Award ...

If scatological means best, I gladly accept.

Up to you, you choose, you want 1 or 2....... :hit-the-fan:

scatological [ˌskætəˈlɒdʒɪkəl] less commonly, scatologic [ˌskætəˈlɒdʒɪk]

adj

1. characterized by obscenity or preoccupation with obscenity, esp in the form of references to excrement

2. (Medicine / Pathology) of or relating to the scientific study of excrement

Collins English Dictionary Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Edited by MB1

I agree that body odor definitely varies by race. Thais generally don't stink and its offensive to others not to do something about body odor.

What to do? In addition to the antiperspirant and deodorant, take a clue from the Thais and also use a body powder like Shower to Shower with a time released fragrance in your favorite scent. Such absorbent body powders help to deal with the sweat on your body in areas where you don't apply your deodorant. Its a battle for most of us Farangs who sweat a lot in the heat but body powder will help many of us.