A Great Days Fishing

kenny999

Is it a good eating fish? Looks like a fun fish to hook into! How big do they get?

Not sure if anyone would eat a Giant Mekong Catfish and this fish is the biggest freshwater fish in the world growing to over 300kgs

Is it a good eating fish? Looks like a fun fish to hook into! How big do they get?

Not sure if anyone would eat a Giant Mekong Catfish and this fish is the biggest freshwater fish in the world growing to over 300kgs

Oh yeah, I've seen a couple of things in the news and TV about the Giant Mekong Catfish. They are somewhat endangered, especially the large ones. So, I suppose it's best not to eat them anyway. But sounds like a great day of fishing! I'm jealous! I've had some great days too and they are so memorable!

Thanks for sharing the photo.

Cheers, Jimi

They're fine to eat, and the ones served in restaurants are farmed so no need to feel any guilt over it.<BR><BR>I think their major threat in the wild is what is being done to the Mekong itself.<BR><BR>A few years ago we visited Nong Kai to take a look at the river - at a riverside restaurant my wife excitedly told me we must have the local squid from the specials menu! I told her there would be no such thing, but order it anyway and see what comes out. It was fish, pla buek or something similar, just sounded a bit like pla muek. I believe it was Mekong Catfish.<BR><BR>I expect a 300 Kg specimen could be a bit chewy though.

He looks healthy. I am sure he was delightful to eat, although I personally choose not to eat the contents of my vacumn cleaner.

Sorry dont understand your post????

The catfish is a bottom feeder and is indiscriminate in its diet.It will eat just about anything(dead animals, feces etc.)in fact bars of hand soap are an unusually effective lure. You have a healthy looking cat but for table fare this species is not for my taste. Anyway thank you for your post and continued success in your fishing endeavors.

The catfish is a bottom feeder and is indiscriminate in its diet.It will eat just about anything(dead animals, feces etc.)in fact bars of hand soap are an unusually effective lure. You have a healthy looking cat but for table fare this species is not for my taste. Anyway thank you for your post and continued success in your fishing endeavors.

not sure of your logic on that mate...if we avoided eating fauna that ate junk think we would starve or become veggie....I hate to think what all "chemicals" are fed to domestic animals and farmed fish etc in the name of high yield..maybe mid level fishes eat catfish poop?...and what about crustaceans.. what do they eat, I always used rotting meat in my crab traps..?..lol

I suppose you know also that poop and dead stuff is an extremely effective fertilizer.

....each to his own though.. :jap:

.....that certainly is a great fish!

not sure of your logic on that mate...if we avoided eating fauna that ate junk think we would starve or become veggie....I hate to think what all "chemicals" are fed to domestic animals and farmed fish etc in the name of high yield..maybe mid level fishes eat catfish poop?...and what about crustaceans.. what do they eat, I always used rotting meat in my crab traps..?..lol

I suppose you know also that poop and dead stuff is an extremely effective fertilizer.

I can see where he is coming from but as you say we cant be worried about what fish or animals eat otherwise we would all starve, I would never eat anything I catch from freshwater as it is my pastime and something I enjoy doing, I always try to ensure the fish are caught and put back hopefully no worse for wear, there is a Mekong in Sawai lake around 40/45 kgs hopefully one day I will catch this, I have seen it caught once before and it is huge...

Thanks hopefully will catch bigger in the near future.

Super Fish Kenny! I was down Sawai Lake on Saturday morning and Eck told me that a Mekong was caught the day before, I knew it was you who caught it!

I had a good session also. Lots of fish, the best was a big redtail and I also had a 15kgs + carp which was a great fish. I also caught the normal mix of sawai catfish, pacu etc. I did have a couple of Thai redtails which are a nice fish also.

Next time I want to target red tails and carp, I want a monster carp. I think I am getting there, I have found that fishing deep between 4-5 ft below the surface on the float in the middle of the lake will produce carp if the Pacu allow the bait to sink. If I get a run within 3 mins it is a Pacu, after that I think that the bait ball has sunk enough to where the Carp feed. I add sweetcorn to the mix and I think this helps but I really want to try and find some good groundbait mix and additives to make my own mix. Where is the best tackle shop in Phuket to buy bait mixes, I want to get some to try out next time.

Cheers

post-33552-058046800 1281315103_thumb.jp

Super Fish Kenny! I was down Sawai Lake on Saturday morning and Eck told me that a Mekong was caught the day before, I knew it was you who caught it!

I had a good session also. Lots of fish, the best was a big redtail and I also had a 15kgs + carp which was a great fish. I also caught the normal mix of sawai catfish, pacu etc. I did have a couple of Thai redtails which are a nice fish also.

Next time I want to target red tails and carp, I want a monster carp. I think I am getting there, I have found that fishing deep between 4-5 ft below the surface on the float in the middle of the lake will produce carp if the Pacu allow the bait to sink. If I get a run within 3 mins it is a Pacu, after that I think that the bait ball has sunk enough to where the Carp feed. I add sweetcorn to the mix and I think this helps but I really want to try and find some good groundbait mix and additives to make my own mix. Where is the best tackle shop in Phuket to buy bait mixes, I want to get some to try out next time.

Cheers

Hi this was my biggest redtail I have caught there and also have had some nice Carp but not as big as 15kgs, as for fishing shops all shops sell different ground baits most of then sell the Omega 1 2 and 3 packs so it's just a case of looking in different shops.

Going tomorrow very early to hopefully catch the big Mekong but I think that will be difficult as the Mekong are rarrly caught there, but hopefully will be a good day.

post-58930-099495000 1281327983_thumb.jp

Cheers

Hi this was my biggest redtail I have caught there and also have had some nice Carp but not as big as 15kgs, as for fishing shops all shops sell different ground baits most of then sell the Omega 1 2 and 3 packs so it's just a case of looking in different shops.

Going tomorrow very early to hopefully catch the big Mekong but I think that will be difficult as the Mekong are rarrly caught there, but hopefully will be a good day.