Any Way To Get A Discount On New Macbook Pro?

pete66

I'm hoping to buy a 17" Macbook Pro in the next couple of days, just wondering if there was any way to squeeze a deal out of Mac dealers?

For instance, if I offer to pay with cash could they discount the price?

Are authorized Mac dealers allowed to offer deals at all, they all seem fairly "regimented" ....

thx,

pete

Highly doubtful. You cannot bargain on a Mac. If you buy one I suggest the also buying the 3 year service plan. It will save you money in the long run. Also make sure you have english speaking phone techs. Unless you are very used to Mac you will need them. Paying with Credit card is same as cash and safer.If you have a problem early can stop payment. Buying a Mac in Thailand is not the same as buying one in USA. It would be the Thailand support I would worry about.

They are allowed to offer deals, the problem is that the margins are razor-thin. So there isn't much room for negotiation.

The only way to get a very substantial discount is to present a student or faculty ID. In the USA, the Apple stores themselves (that is the official ones, owned by Apple) are apparently very lenient with this, so if you are student or a faculty member of a university, or you know a student or a faculty member of a university, you might get a discount. I don't think the Apple dealers do it, but the Apple store probably does.

The education discount is usually 10%, and sometimes more.

True story when I bought my MacBook Pro 17 in the USA in an Apple store, the sales guy asked me "are you a student"? I said no. Then he asked me "Do you know a student?"... and I am like, well... hmm... I ended up getting my friend's university employee ID and driving license ID, and buying my Mac for $300 less total!!

Apple dealers do not seem to discount any Apple products other than the education discount. In the US the way online dealers compete on Apple products is to offer free or discounted peripherals, memory, etc. with the purchase. So the Apple products are priced the same but with some dealers you can get more extras. Most people I know will buy a Mac with the smallest size disk and memory and buy extra memory and a larger disk cheaper elsewhere. In Thailand I'm not sure if I would do that.

Apple dealers do not seem to discount any Apple products other than the education discount. In the US the way online dealers compete on Apple products is to offer free or discounted peripherals, memory, etc. with the purchase. So the Apple products are priced the same but with some dealers you can get more extras. Most people I know will buy a Mac with the smallest size disk and memory and buy extra memory and a larger disk cheaper elsewhere. In Thailand I'm not sure if I would do that.

Online:

http://store.apple.com/th/browse/home/education_routing?mco=MTM3NTE0MDg

But it just goes to a Malaysian page after that, sigh, I'll go into a store instead. Get the real low-down.

Education discounts as mentioned by others is only discount available. Maybe you can get some discounts on other non-Apple peripherals if buying from the same shop.

You can also reclaim the 7% VAT at the airport. Of course, if customs pick up at the other end, you're not getting anything out of that.

Lastly, assuming you're paying with funds in another currency than THB, you could wait and keep fingers crossed that rates will improve.

I would advice you to get the 3 year Applecare package.

Anybody got any idea:

a) what discounts are available to students, is it fixed? and very importantly in Thailand ...

B) Exactly what is a "student" - what do you have to do to qualify as such? For instance, I have an ed visa, and my son is Thai and in a Thai school, but only 10. What defines a "student" in Apple Thai eyes?

Here's a radical suggestion... ;)

How about calling Apple? 001-800-65-6957

Great. Some customer support drone in the States that knows nothing about what Thai stores will accept ..... just what I need. I'll go and ask in the stores tomorrow, get the real story.

Where it says EDUCATION STORE on the left.... ..... ....unsure.gif

Just order they dont check.....

Except "The Apple Online Store Malaysia ships only within Malaysia. If you would like to purchase Apple products from outside Malaysia, please see our International Store Directory to find out if an Apple Online Store serves your country."

Have you actually tried this?

Why do you keep talking about malaysia!!!

Store.apple.com/th click education store on the left menu.

no idea why u keep referring to malaysian store!

Yes ive ordered 3 macbook pros a mac pro and 2 imacs using this method.

Its not exactly rocket science to get to the apple thailand online store!

Really be a bit more pleasant to the people who are trying to help you! Ref above suggestion to call apple.

If u cant even find the apple thailand store online. I question your need for a macbook pro. fisher price?? (joking)

And secondly the number provided above is for apple asian call centre not as you say some us call centre drone. Its the singapore based centre that supplies the online store and retail stores in thailand.

Edited by negreanu

Anybody got any idea:

a) what discounts are available to students, is it fixed? and very importantly in Thailand ...

B) Exactly what is a "student" - what do you have to do to qualify as such? For instance, I have an ed visa, and my son is Thai and in a Thai school, but only 10. What defines a "student" in Apple Thai eyes?

If you have an ed visa you probably qualify. Student discount is for both students and University faculty.

And FYI http://store.apple.com/th

When you click on "Education Store" in the left menu, you get here:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/Singapore/Images/tcTHedu.htm

Then Click on "I Accept" - very detailed explanation of who qualifies too. Then you enter the edu store, which looks just like the normal store web page, except with cheaper prices for everything.

For the MacBook Pro 17", there's a 7000 baht discount for education - well worth it.

Don't go to the malaysian store, go to the Thai one....

Edited by nikster

• 2 weeks later...