Iphone For A Rookie

corkman

Hi All,

I'll be straight up an confess I am a bit of a technophobe - but my Mrs. has been banging on about an iPhone for ages.

Could someone give me the 10 second idiots guide to iPhones? She will use it for music and photo's and all that, but I don't think she needs a "top of the line" model. She will also use the internet feature occasionally, but since we don't have 3G then she won't use it that much (besides, we have home internet).

So, my simple questions would be:

- what model would be reocmmended?

- what type of cost are they?

- do we need to sign up for a contract, or can she continue with her 1-2-call set up? Or is it much more cost effective to get it on contract? If so, recommendations please :)

BTW - We live in bkk, so retail venue suggestions would also be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

CM

I have an iPhone 3GS (better than a 3G, but not as new as the 4). Anyhow, in Bangkok you should be able to find an iPhone that's "unlocked". This means there's no service provider and you can use whatever SIM card you want in the phone. Only you can decide if a service provider would be a better choice (and I don't even know if there's a service provider available since I prefer to just use a SIM card based on what country I'm in...I have 3 different SIM cards).

The iPhone is VERY easy to use and a good value for the money (my opinion...other's opinions may vary). What I like most about it is I can connect it directly to my MacBook and there are a ton of different applications you can download (some free, some you have to pay for). Of course, there are other phones out there that you can use applications for as well.

Don't know about cost there in Thailand, but mine was somewhere around $700 in Dubai I think (not positive because bought some other things at the same time and wasn't really concerned with the price).

Edited by Shivers

You can purchase iphone unlocked version from True move. I advise you to buy iphone 3Gs 8gb from true move without contract which is around 22000. You can use any provider (dtac, one2call etc). As iphone 4g is will take time to arrive in bangkok and also heard there is some technical issues using iphone 4g so better buy iphone 3gs 8gb. Why from true move because it is unlocked. IF you buy from MBK or other shops, not trustable as they will give you jailbreak phones from USA.

ya buy from True, 3gs 8 gig is cheapest. A used factory unlocked iphone of an older model would be the cheapest, but for new go with True. The internet can connect to edge when 3g is not around so she can check email etc, anywhere anytime. Just make sure she turns off push on email and notifications and location settings, if those are on the iphone will use minutes without you meaning it to and drain your money. Turn them off in settings and you should be fine. No contract needed with True, but a phone plan from any provider is always cheaper than 12call.

Theres a big true shop across the street from Siam Square.

Thanks for the great (and consistent ;)) replies!

A 3gs 8GB from True it is then.

I was looking online at the "packages" that True offer - they do a "599" package which includes 300 minutes of talk, 300 sms, 50 mms and unlimited 3G/Edge/WiFi. Is that good value? Currently on her 12call phone, she uses about 500-1000 baht per month - which at a rough estimate is about 10-12 mins and 3-4 sms daily ...... so that plan would seem to suite her usage. But I am again quite ignorant to "packages" - are there lots of hidden catches and costs etc. What I like about pre-paid systems like 12call is that "mistakes" can only cost a maximum of a couple of hundred baht (or whatever your credit balance is)..... that being said, if its going to cost a small fortune every time she logs onto the internet to check emails or whatever, then it might be worthwhile looking at a packaged option.

Further opinions / thoughts would be much appreciated.

regards,

CM