Take Your Job And Shove It!

rijb

The two stories below reminded me of my own experience with quitting a job.

I gave the boss my notice, while I drinking a Dr Pepper. I wondered if he ever made the connection. My new job was with Dr Pepper.

Have any of you quit a job (in Thailand or somewhere else) in a "creative" way?

Whiteboard

Jet Blue

Edited by rijb

After getting wind of my pending termination once I returned to Houston head office, I went online and changed my flights so that I was on the same one from Dubai as my boss; then I used miles and upgraded to Business Class (he was in Coach). I managed to avoid him at the check-in and boarding but once dinner had been cleared away and I was having postprandial port, got the hostie to invite him up for a drink. That's when I handed him my notice.

After getting wind of my pending termination once I returned to Houston head office, I went online and changed my flights so that I was on the same one from Dubai as my boss; then I used miles and upgraded to Business Class (he was in Coach). I managed to avoid him at the check-in and boarding but once dinner had been cleared away and I was having postprandial port, got the hostie to invite him up for a drink. That's when I handed him my notice.

Not sure how the law is in the US but wouldn't they have been forced to pay you severance if they had terminated you?

I quit a job spectacularly when I was a kid. I was working the all night shift in a big French bread factory dealing with the packaging machines. One night they were very short staffed and I was planning on quitting anyway, so I just walked off the job with thousands of baguettes coming out ready to go. Looking back at that, I am surprised they paid me my last paycheck. I was a very bad boy.

The worst job I ever had. I was Master of an oil supply vessel in the GOM in the early 80's. I worked there for a total of 6 weeks, in which time they'd broken my contract about 9 different ways. Still, under maritime law I could not leave a vessel as I'd signed shipping articles. Then one day the guy at the head office was stupid enough to send me a Telex saying they'd send down a replacement captain if I didn't try to make non essential cargo transfers to a rig during hurricane conditions. When the blow abated I took the vessel into port, tied t up and called a cab. Buy the time the next captain arrived there was another hurricane on the way. Shut down the rig for a couple of weeks. Idiot coon asses.

At my old firm there was a known warning that you were gonna get canned if the boss said, " lets go for a coffee..." So when I decided to come here I picked my moment in the office and turned to my boss and said, " I think its time we had a coffee, Mike". I had to repeat it before the full import sank in. Then we had a laugh and a very amicable parting of company. Possibly the best boss I ever had actually. Certainly the funniest. After I quit, we arranged to get my colleague into boardroom and mike pretend that he had to fire one of us. As the other guy was not doing quite so well and had been worried about getting canned for months, this was cruel but hilarious fun! We didn't prolong the agony for too long or his socks might have turned yellow!

Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Not sure how the law is in the US but wouldn't they have been forced to pay you severance if they had terminated you?

Yes. But I preempted their termination which I found out later would have been 'for cause' and as such would have relieved them of paying me on certain other benefits. As it worked out, I quit just before I would have been fired.

• 2 weeks later...

I can top the business flight one- as a previous IT Manager I would look into the MDs email often to see what was up... Hearing of my pending termination was to happen at the end of the week with 10 weeks severance pay. I knew I was about to get a free business class training trip to the US and France for a month.

My flight was booked already... so I knew it would be cancelled if the MD served me my termination papers.

I called in sick until the end of the week, being 4 days and caught my flight on the following Monday.

Upon calling my MD from the US, New York he told me he had forgotten I had a month in the US and France. And he wished me a good training trip, as he could not fire me from the other side of the planet.

Needless to say I cost the company a fortune in costs whilst having everything paid for in the month. I used every opportunity to raid the bar fridge, order room service, had a great time during the month.

The cost of the holiday ended up being more than my 10 weeks severance pay, so I was pretty proud of myself. As my Boss was a prick- he would have got the blame from his superiors in US and France as he Forgot about my trip.

He tried to claim excessive costs to no avail- he needed to pay the severance + bear the full 25K cost of trip overseas.

To top it off I got the frequent miles- that ended up getting me a free flight to Thailand.... Thank you very much

:jap: