Thaivisa To Issue Thailand Expat Gold Card

The charges for some of these pre-paid cards can be prohibative, really they charge you just for sneezing, so its worth bareing in mind how much it will cost you to use in real terms.

Could someone remind me (to save me wading through 17 pages of writing again) who will be eligable to apply for this card? will it be site mebers only or frequent visitors to Thailand as well?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be good to allow users to top it up via internet banking.
- Via SWIFT, TT or ETA at any bank office worldwide (incl. Thailand)

- Via your internet banking in Thailand or elsewhere (if your internet bank allows international transfers)- Send a US dollar check via registered mail.

- Western Union and similar institutions could be an option

I hope this help Will :o

The charges for some of these pre-paid cards can be prohibative, really they charge you just for sneezing, so its worth bareing in mind how much it will cost you to use in real terms.

Could someone remind me (to save me wading through 17 pages of writing again) who will be eligable to apply for this card? will it be site mebers only or frequent visitors to Thailand as well?

I am not sure there are any special requirements at this stage; meaning - every human being walking on this earth! :o

I am definitely interested. I travel to Thailand several times a year as a tourist, have a condominium and partnerships in companies there, and might even apply for a residence permit if legal restrictions are eased and if good health insurance is available.

There may be many other non-resident expats like myself in Thailand who can benefit from your proposed card. Having a bank account in Thailand to which the credit card statements can be debited may pose a problem for these people (special paperwork for every debit to a non-resident account) but your card issuer (bank) should be able to find a solution.

Xakero

Having a bank account in Thailand to which the credit card statements can be debited may pose a problem for these people (special paperwork for every debit to a non-resident account) but your card issuer (bank) should be able to find a solution.

Not an issue, seeing that the issuer is outside Thailand.

Xakero

I believe part of the confusion here is one of terminology. For example, Visa basically have 3 types of "cards":

Visa Credit Card

Be it Classic, Silver, Gold, Platinum or whatever, most of us basically know how a credit card works.

More here

Visa Debit Card

This card is directly tied to one of your bank accounts, and when used, funds are electronically transferred from your bank account to the sellers bank account.

More here

Visa Cash Card

This is a "smart chip" card that is disposable or may also be recharged. You initially charge-up the card (in a specific currency), buy things, then when all the funds are spent, either discard the card or recharge it again.

More here

I believe from earlier posts by George and others working on this project, the "card" they are referring to is either a Visa or Mastercharge "Cash Card", and not a debit card such as described above.

If I am wrong, perhaps George or someone will set me straight. I'm sure the "management" isn't going to waste their time on some trivial scheme, which benefits no-one.

cheers :o

I am definitely interested. I travel to Thailand several times a year as a tourist, have a condominium and partnerships in companies there, and might even apply for a residence permit if legal restrictions are eased and if good health insurance is available.

There may be many other non-resident expats like myself in Thailand who can benefit from your proposed card. Having a bank account in Thailand to which the credit card statements can be debited may pose a problem for these people (special paperwork for every debit to a non-resident account) but your card issuer (bank) should be able to find a solution.

Xakero

How does a tourist qualify for residency ?

As far as the immigration requirements component of residency is concerned you need AT LEAST 3 years of non-interrupted 1 year Non Immigrant permit extensions.

I believe part of the confusion here is one of terminology. For example, Visa basically have 3 types of "cards":

Visa Credit Card

Be it Classic, Silver, Gold, Platinum or whatever, most of us basically know how a credit card works.

More here

Visa Debit Card

This card is directly tied to one of your bank accounts, and when used, funds are electronically transferred from your bank account to the sellers bank account.

More here

Visa Cash Card

This is a "smart chip" card that is disposable or may also be recharged. You initially charge-up the card (in a specific currency), buy things, then when all the funds are spent, either discard the card or recharge it again.

More here

Hadn't realized a distinction between a "debit card" and a "cash card." Even so, from a financial-use perspective they appear to be fundamentally the same thing, the difference being whether you have money in your bank account [debit card] or take the time to recharge a cash card. Using them for purchases appears to be identical.

Reckon anyone hoping for a full-blown credit card without meeting a number of stringent but understandable requirements is in for a long wait.

Despite the tempest about the precise nature of the card, which seems to have come to dominate overall discussion in recent pages of what is, after all, a program intended to go far beyond a card of any type, the original idea still seems a most excellent one to me. Maybe the final result won't suit my needs in particular, but that doesn't mean I'll be saying it's bad; others will find it suits their needs. Many good suggestions have been made by a great many people, and the initial list George posted was a heckuva good starting point.

I for one hope this comes about.

Edited by MekhongKurt

G,

"site mebers only or frequent visitors to Thailand as well?"

Why would you assume that these are mutually exclusive?  Perhaps you should read through the entire 17 pages to get some perspective.

:o

Why do you think I assume these are mutually exclusive? :D I read the 17 pages (you'll find some posts of mine in the first/mid pages) and gathered: no WP requirements, no visa requirements, open for all! and no membership in ThaiVisa is required as well (at least this was never mentioned).

Maybe george can step in and clarify this point?

We are in negotiating stage with several banks to get the best deals. This is a very complicated process. My best guess is within 2 months from now. Could take longer if we should opt for a Thai bank.

My point is that the card will probably be more popular within visitors to Thailand if its foreign bank/currency based - but it might better benefit long-stay expats if its issued with a Thai bank/currency.

So the decision, as I see it, is who is your main target market. Expats or tourists.

My point is that the card will probably be more popular within visitors to Thailand if its foreign bank/currency based

Agreed but surely every tourist would want it in the currency of his home country

to avoid an extra conversion.

I think Singer & Friedlander do a multi currency account but do not know if this extends to their debit cards.

Not a credit card. It's a debit card, also called prepaid Visa card or value stored card. You pre-load it - then you can spend it. No money - no shopping.

No credit check-ups, no credit reporting as it's not a credit card.

I'm in so long as I can pay for Thai services 'online' like my AIS phone account. They do not accept credit card payment tied to foreign banks.

Great idea. I would put a good health insurance policy with say Bupa with a good discount at the top of my list, as i live in Thailand, i am retired, and i have a family. This year i paid 53,000 baht for health insurance with Bupa for a family of three.

(slightly Off Topic)

Barry,

Every country has it's own rules about Health Insurance.

My country has a pretty good FREE health care, which applies also to all members of my family (wife and kids).

But this Health Insurance is only available in the EU.

I have choosen for a residency address in Thailand, and this implicates that we have no Health Insurance rights in Thailand.

After reading all the small letters in the Bupa/AIA/etc..., I have opted not to apply for a Health Insurance in Thailand.

Simply because they exclude from refund every previous disease or every disease that can be related to that.

I have paid a few times a hospitalisation in Thailand, and the price makes any Healt Insurance worthless.

Last time I had to be hospitalised urgently by ambulance, and stayed 2 days in the hospital.

Price including several X-Ray and scan (Reflecting fluid = 1,200 Baht each): 9,500 Baht.

At these rates, I give any Health Insurance a mis.

Besides that, I opened a bank account in Thailand for my wife a few years ago, and this includes (only for Thais) a Health Insurance.

But I would be glad to see something like Europ Assistance added to the card, which offers repatriation to my country within 24 hours in case of severe illness.

Coalminer

Hello! This is a GREAT endeavor andI'm sure that this will be useful to expats! For it to be truly useful, may I suggest two uses of this card:

1) AS a DEBIT CARD (visa electron) please ensure that this card can be used to PURCHASE ONLINE or on the INTERNET, like all debit cards issued in other countries. So far, only Bank of Asia debit cards have the capability to do this, but as a foreigner it is a little difficult to open an account with Bank of Asia (unless your payroll goes through it).

OR

I would also consider to make this like a "virtual card" wherein u can fund it a certain amount so that it can be used to purchase online and it debits on the funds u put into it. I have seen an advert in the Bangkok Post (in the calssifieds) offering virtual card services here in Bangkok... so it must be possible!

2) Another thing is to set it up as a "SECURED" credit card, such that a bank will secure a certain amount of deposit (fixed, can not be withdrawn) from you, and that amount of your deposit becomes the same amount as your credit limit. You can use it as a credit card and pay off monthly. If u fail to pay, the bank simply forfeits ur fixed deposit, and closes the account until u can replenish your fixed deposit. And please allow it as low as USD 150.

The thing is, it should really solve purchase problems on the internet for a number of farangs here who for one reason or another, can't get credit cards, but would like to purchase online.

Thanks...

Hello! This is a GREAT endeavor andI'm sure that this will be useful to expats! For it to be truly useful, may I suggest two uses of this card:

1) AS a DEBIT CARD (visa electron) please ensure that this card can be used to PURCHASE ONLINE or on the INTERNET, like all debit cards issued in other countries. So far, only Bank of Asia debit cards have the capability to do this, but as a foreigner it is a little difficult to open an account with Bank of Asia (unless your payroll goes through it).

OR

I would also consider to make this like a "virtual card" wherein u can fund it a certain amount so that it can be used to purchase online and it debits on the funds u put into it. I have seen an advert in the Bangkok Post (in the calssifieds) offering virtual card services here in Bangkok... so it must be possible!

2) Another thing is to set it up as a "SECURED" credit card, such that a bank will secure a certain amount of deposit (fixed, can not be withdrawn) from you, and that amount of your deposit becomes the same amount as your credit limit. You can use it as a credit card and pay off monthly. If u fail to pay, the bank simply forfeits ur fixed deposit, and closes the account until u can replenish your fixed deposit. And please allow it as low as USD 150.

The thing is, it should really solve purchase problems on the internet for a number of farangs here who for one reason or another, can't get credit cards, but would like to purchase online.

Thanks...

What about the sizable expat population who are in LOS on proper visas and permits, have bank accounts and credit cards(local ones and foreign ones) etc... What would be the incentive for them to swap over ? Or is this more of a visa runners card ?