Pattaya Diving Conditions

JimSiam

I would like to do some diving in Pattaya and wondering what the conditions are like with all the rain thats about right now, interested mainly in the hardeep, khram and Kood wrecks, also if there are any operators going out to the Bremen wreck.

Pattaya had a very heavy green algal bloom on Sunday (vis 2-4 metres at surface in some places!) so you might want to call and see if its cleared up. I did the Khram, and the bloom was gone at around 10-15m, vis was ok on the wreck itself (8-10 metres).

The Khram is an interesting wreck with plenty of cutouts and swim throughs. It is a much better dive than the Kut as it has a lot more marine life and is slightly shallower, so you get a bit more bottom time. We found a hawksbill turtle feeding in the engine room!

Temperature is still quite warm, just guessing but probably around 28 degrees. I was fine in a short 3mm (although I did come down with the flu about an hour after getting out!).

No photos, just got a Canon G11 but still looking for a housing.

I did two Hardeep dives today, moderate current in the first dive nearly no current in the second one. Viz was ok with around 8 meters in the first and a little less for the second dive. No green soup there, so Samae San may be the better option for you.

• 4 months later...

Before I retired to Korat I spent 26 years living on Saipan where the diving is good and convenient. I've done little diving over the past five years, but can finally afford to get back in to it again.

I dove Pattaya (Hat Nuan) a couple of weeks ago and while the boat and crew were first rate (Mermaids) the diving wasn't that good. Viz was poor and, IMHO, there just wasn't that much to see.

I'm looking to dive on a regular basis, but am having a hard time convincing myself that dives like Hat Nuan are worth the six hour bus ride and two nights in a hotel.

Suggestions, anyone?

Before I retired to Korat I spent 26 years living on Saipan where the diving is good and convenient. I've done little diving over the past five years, but can finally afford to get back in to it again.

I dove Pattaya (Hat Nuan) a couple of weeks ago and while the boat and crew were first rate (Mermaids) the diving wasn't that good. Viz was poor and, IMHO, there just wasn't that much to see.

I'm looking to dive on a regular basis, but am having a hard time convincing myself that dives like Hat Nuan are worth the six hour bus ride and two nights in a hotel.

Suggestions, anyone?

When did you live on Saipan, Ratisma? I lived there for about 2-1/2 years beginning in June 1999. Did my diving with Abracadabra Aquaventures on Beach Road. Did you know Ed and Jeanne?

David

When did you live on Saipan, Ratisma? I lived there for about 2-1/2 years beginning in June 1999. Did my diving with Abracadabra Aquaventures on Beach Road. Did you know Ed and Jeanne?

I lived on Saipan from January 1979 through April of 2005. I knew Ed and Jeanne very well. I got my AOW cert from them and help out with the Abracadabra web page.

I lived on Saipan from January 1979 through April of 2005. I knew Ed and Jeanne very well. I got my AOW cert from them and help out with the Abracadabra web page.

Small world. I'll bet we met at least once during that time. I went from beginning diver to MSDT with them. Broke my heart when the shop closed.

We'll have to get together and make bubbles after I get settled in.

David

Geeze, we must have met, but I don't remember you.

Abracadabra was a fine and friendly operation. I had good times with Ed, helping him out with his Mac and doing the web site. I learned a lot from him. It was a shame when they packed it in. Ever hear from them?

Are you in Thailand yet? Where?

Vis is quite variable in Pattaya, and usually on the 'average' end. There is a lot to see, but not at every site and it does depend on the day. I've had some great dives at Pattaya and also some awful ones. A recent highlight was observing three hawksbill turtles within arms reach, and a lowlight was spending an hour skidding over the sand to find a few scuzzy seahorses.

On a good day it's ok. But not every day is a good day :)

Vis is quite variable in Pattaya, and usually on the 'average' end. There is a lot to see, but not at every site and it does depend on the day. I've had some great dives at Pattaya and also some awful ones. A recent highlight was observing three hawksbill turtles within arms reach, and a lowlight was spending an hour skidding over the sand to find a few scuzzy seahorses.

On a good day it's ok. But not every day is a good day :)

Any recommendations? Pattaya seems to be the easiest dive spot to visit from Korat; especially when you're on public transport. But a one day dive trip involves six hours on the bus each way and two overnight hotel stays.

I guess I could do longer trips to keep the cost per dive price down.

Can't help you with the bus, although from Bangkok you could (in theory) get the first bus out, dive and a late bus back to save funds. I usually bus it there, stay overnight, dive and taxi it back because I'm too tired to discuss the merits of a bag full of wet gear with the bus drivers.

Hotels...well if you don't mind bedbugs (really) you could try the Siam Seaview for 600 baht. Or you could try the Flipper Lodge for 1,200 without bugs and a better breakfast. Or find a friend and split the cost.

There's not a lot of choice on that side of the gulf. If you can spare a week, it's better to head to Koh Tao where you can pick up a reasonable room for 400 baht per night and dives are 800 baht apiece (easily half the price of Pattaya).

Thanks for that. I last dove Koh Tao back in the 80's. Maybe I'll give it another shot!

I'm doing a live aboard in the Similans at the end of February. I want to get in a couple more tune up dives before that trip. Maybe Pattaya, being closest to me, is where I'll have to go.