Bangkok Traffic Police Get Online Ticket Machines

george

Traffic police get online ticket machines

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_15853.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Twenty online trafficticketissuing machines will be installed across Bangkok and ready for use from August 30, Metropolitan Police deputy chief MajGeneral Panu Kerdlarppol said yesterday.

Wat Phraya Krai, Lumpini, Thong Lor, Tha Ruea, Thung Maha Mek, Bang Phong Phang, Phra Khanong, Bang Na and Klong Ton precincts as well as the Traffic Command will each be equipped with two such machines.

After a traffic police officer issues a violation ticket, the information will be sent online to the police database. The ticket will be printed out with details about alleged violators, the charge, time and date of law, and the places the fine can be paid, Panu explained.

Police can also check previous traffic offences by swiping the electronic strip of the driver's licence or keying the licence number into the machine, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-12

Edited by webfact

Some of you people are really amazing. No matter what the Thais do, you mock it, belittle it and criticize it before you even know anything about it. Even a technological advance such as the OP describes which actually may serve to eliminate overpriced, on the spot payoffs and make the system more accountable gets nothing but derision.

I don't understand why any of you stay here if this is such a horrible place; why not return to your perfect home countries where I'm sure your constructive criticisms will be much better appreciated.

• Like 1

The articles sure seems to be lacking enough details. It sure implies the police would process the ticket at the machine and then the machine prints it out...and then I think the article is trying to say the ticket information would be transmitted/uploaded to the traffic violation database. Maybe via 3G (giggle). I sure hope they are small and wireless which would be issued out to certain BIB to carry to their favorite ambush point, versus like a big ATM machine.

The ticket machines may be intended for those checkpoints where a half a dozen or more BIB set up checkpoints to check trucks, motorcycles, taxis, etc. I see these types of checkpoints set up all the time on main drags like the OuterRing Road and tickets are being issued left and right (90% are small and large truck drivers)...tickets being issued are not for speeding (since the traffic was crawling anyway) but for whatever violation the police found like being overloaded, load not secured properly, excessive tailpipe emissions, license expired, some hauling related paperwork incomplete/expired, etc...etc...etc. Article definitely needs some more details.

Some of you people are really amazing. No matter what the Thais do, you mock it, belittle it and criticize it before you even know anything about it. Even a technological advance such as the OP describes which actually may serve to eliminate overpriced, on the spot payoffs and make the system more accountable gets nothing but derision.

I don't understand why any of you stay here if this is such a horrible place; why not return to your perfect home countries where I'm sure your constructive criticisms will be much better appreciated.

Couldnt agree more.

Some of the silly statements I read on this site are hard to believe.

If those who make them actually live here its hard to understand why.

Couldnt agree more.

I guarantee you and ddddave have been here less than 5 yrs.

For those of us who have been here for any length of time, it is obvious to us all that accountability is something that is not in the Police vocabulary.

I am not saying it is a horrible place.... I choose to live here....... however technological an advance is, unless someone somewhere is making money under the table, then it aint going to be implemented, thats a fact

Couldnt agree more.

Jeez, two of you been at those herbal cigarettes. Twenty machines hardly scratches the surface of Bangkok let alone out in the country. On top of that, just look at the Thai's past form at buying technological devices. Then factor in the five fingered "what's in it for me?" factor.

Pray do explain why PC Plodprasop out on the road is going to give up his 200 Baht "spot fines" and should you get pulled and ask to have your ticket issued by machine pound to a pinch of salt the answer is "machine no good, kaput".

Reality is eye opening, I suggest you two try it one day when your stash runs out.

One thing i don't get about this article, is that the article states that' the machines are installed at 20 locations.' Like an ATM right? [no pun intended]So, the policeman needs to either set up their check point adjacent or very close to the ticket machine for it to be effective, cause i can't see a policeman at a check point on say Rama 9, pulling someone over, taking their details, then going to the nearest (hypothetical) machine on say Suk 71 and uploading the data of the offense.

One thing i don't get about this article, is that the article states that' the machines are installed at 20 locations.'

Bad reporting is my guess.

If the machines are "installed" there is little point in printing out the ticket with details like "where to pay the fine"

as the offender will not be present to receive the information.

He/she will be long gone with the old hand written ticket.

To be of any use these must be portable devices.

Lets face it Traffic tickets are already entered on the computer.

The info goes to the Land Transport office and they will not renew your vehicle licence

if there are outstanding tickets. That has been in place for well over 10 years.

Like much technology in Thailand these machines will soon be broken.

Remember the Aircraft carrier and its fighter planes.

In the end they could not cobble together enough parts to keep one plane flying. :cheesy:

Edited by somchai69

Please be assured that we know that NO country is perfect. We mock, belittle and berate every country without prejudice with the hope that the powerful see themselves in the mirror and don't get complacent.